Author Topic: pick 25 for pick 5 & 10 sec. round?  (Read 3473 times)

pick 25 for pick 5 & 10 sec. round?
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Wondering what people think of this idea in terms of this year's draft.....let's say we get the 25th pick....

We'd give up a shot at a slider but be guaranteed two players who are possibly as good as what's available at 25...in other words a gamble....but not a huge one imo....I myself don't know if I'd do it.....and it's probably a much more answerable question in the days and hours leading up to the draft.....

Anyway....Instead of Gani Lawai OR maybe Avery Johnson, we could possibly have something along the lines of:
- Lazar Haywood and Da'Sean Butler
-Lazar Haywood and Dexter Pittman (I think he can be a good medium minute player in a few years, but that's certainly not the current prognostication...
-Jarvis Varnado and Kyle Singler
-Varnado and Lazar Haywood, etc etc.....

question for draft fiends mostly.....

Re: pick 25 for pick 5 & 10 sec. round?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
In basketball, having a higher pick is more important than having a greater volume of picks. The active roster is only 12 players, not 55 like football. One good player is better than two average ones. Plus, talent drops off faster in the NBA draft than it does in the NFL/MLB.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Danny could try combining the picks and try to trade up.

Maybe he could get into the high teens.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
In basketball, having a higher pick is more important than having a greater volume of picks. The active roster is only 12 players, not 55 like football. One good player is better than two average ones. Plus, talent drops off faster in the NBA draft than it does in the NFL/MLB.

Yes, it's just that in this case I'm seeing sort of an even field from mid to high 20's until around pick 10 in the second round...could need glasses...

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes, it's just that in this case I'm seeing sort of an even field from mid to high 20's until around pick 10 in the second round...could need glasses...
Not a bad idea but not something I'd want to see Danny do until the draft is underway if at all.

The plus side is that we're down to 6 signed players after this year so Danny needs bodies, particularly young athletic ones.  The players are not guaranteed contracts so there's more financial flexibility for Danny.  Danny has done well with 2nd round picks so there's reason to believe he could get players that could contribute at some point.

The down side is that these players are theoretically not as good as the one you'd get at 25.  Doc doesn't play youth so they won't see court time until probably their 3rd year if then or we're decimated with injuries and Doc has no choice but to play them (and by no choice I mean he needs them in order to have a 7-8 man rotation for a game since we know he'd prefer to run the starters into the ground first).  The players available at that spot are typically end-of-the-rotation types of players.  Not that we couldn't use some of those but we need better players than that at this point.

Personally, I'd like to see Danny move up in the draft, not down.  The team needs a young player that's undeniably talented enough to contribute next year.  If he can buy another pick ala Rondo/Powe, great.  If not, I would not be surprised to see BBD and/or Perk moved in a draft day deal (that may or may not include our pick) for a higher draft pick.  Teams are still looking for cap space and may be willing to dispose of their pick to save the expense of a 1st round rookie's guaranteed 3-year deal.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Much rather have one high pick than 2 crap ones.

Quality not Quantity.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Much rather have one high pick than 2 crap ones.

Quality not Quantity.

Fair enough. But the Cs could do such a deal, then buy one of Memphis' 39 picks in the bottom half of the 1st round.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Not unless Danny sees two guys who are gonna drop to the early second round that he really believes in.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
In the last couple of seasons, I'd say the team would be better off with an early second, in order to avoid a guaranteed contract.  Now, though, we need to find some legit talent that can earn some minutes.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
In the last couple of seasons, I'd say the team would be better off with an early second, in order to avoid a guaranteed contract.  Now, though, we need to find some legit talent that can earn some minutes.

True, and in this year's supposedly deep draft, that's entirely possible.  Even in a supposedly weak draft, like last year, it's possible to find good gems (Collison, Casspi, Blair, Budinger, Thornton)
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
i would try to trade up maybe around 15 to draft Stanely Robinson. Can u imagine a Rondo/Robinson alley-oop. And he is a young and a freak athlete which is just what we r missing

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
i would try to trade up maybe around 15 to draft Stanely Robinson. Can u imagine a Rondo/Robinson alley-oop. And he is a young and a freak athlete which is just what we r missing

Didn't we just have a freak athlete in Bill Walker?

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Teams can just buy a 2nd with cash.