Author Topic: Has anyone been to a Red Claws game yet?  (Read 6601 times)

Has anyone been to a Red Claws game yet?
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm heading up tomorrow, should be interesting.  What are people's thoughts on the experience who have gone.  My expectations are very low, so I hope they are exceeded
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Has anyone been to a Red Claws game yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I managed one game this season. It's not easy right now, seeing as I live four hours away but it was quite the time, actually. Even the drive down to Portland was fun.. Mostly cause I went with crazy friends but yea..

As for the game, it was fun. The Expo probably has the best atmosphere in the entire D-League. It's great, the people all love watching the team and, as it turns out, the team is pretty good. They're going to make the playoffs in the first year, which is good considering Springfield is miserable, and they recently traded their best player (Morris Almond) to Maine.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
I would have liked to have seen a game when Bill Walker was there.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
so we saw the Red Claws vs. the Iowa Energy

player observations

Marcus Landry didn't start - in his minutes there he looked uninspired and weak
Paul Davis is kind of a stiff
Morris Almond is a flat out scorer.  I have no idea why he isn't in the league - he should be getting 10 day contracts
Curt Looby is raw, very little offensive game, but he's a big boy on the boards, showed hussle.  He's an outside shot, but could make the league someday

the arena is more of a fieldhouse or gym - its not much bigger than a good sized high school or smaller college gym.  Pretty fun atmosphere, definitely geared toward the kids, which is good. I caught a t-shirt, first time that's ever happened.  All seats are good

the play was ok - felt like watching a hs all-star game or something of that level - less defense than I'd like.

also bingas wingas is a great place to go before a game in Portland - hot wings, solid beverage selection, highly recommended

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yup ... been to a few, and it's fun, (but not remotely like a Celtics game). The building is ancient, (I went to my first concert there when I was 9, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap - man, that dates me, doesn't it?, and my folks took us to the Shriner's Circus there every year when I was even smaller), and as was stated, it feels more like a HS playoff game than the pros, but once you settle in a while it's really not bad at all. I'd recommend it to anyone in the Greater Portland area that likes hoops ... the Sea Dogs' Park is right next door, too. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
gonna try to hit a few sea dogs games this year, lots of fun.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah, it really is ... been to a ton of Sea Dogs games and I've never been disappointed, (even won a VCR one year, lol). (TP)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Yeah, it really is ... been to a ton of Sea Dogs games and I've never been disappointed, (even won a VCR one year, lol). (TP)

Dad, what's a VCR? (TP back)

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Dad, what's a VCR? (TP back)

LOL! At least you didn't call me "Gramps" ... never should've mentioned Gary Pucket. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

player observations

Morris Almond is a flat out scorer.  I have no idea why he isn't in the league - he should be getting 10 day contracts
Curt Looby is raw, very little offensive game, but he's a big boy on the boards, showed hussle.  He's an outside shot, but could make the league someday

the arena is more of a fieldhouse or gym - its not much bigger than a good sized high school or smaller college gym.  Pretty fun atmosphere, definitely geared toward the kids, which is good. I caught a t-shirt, first time that's ever happened.  All seats are good

the play was ok - felt like watching a hs all-star game or something of that level - less defense than I'd like.

also bingas wingas is a great place to go before a game in Portland - hot wings, solid beverage selection, highly recommended

The Almond mystery is one I've tried in vain to explore several times at D-LeagueDigest this year.  Saw him in person a few times earlier in the year with Springfield both at home and on the road, and just as you intimated, he's a mesmerizing scorer.  Can shoot it, can attack off the dribble, can pull up, hits his foul shots, the whole deal.

So far, my theorizing is that Almond is in possibly the toughest spot for potential call-ups: He's a serviceable all-around player whose primary weapon is his scoring.  Problem is, NBA teams (the Warriors possibly excepted) don't call guys up from the D-League to be 30-touch-per-night guys.  They call them up to fill a specific need - banger underneath, back-up point guard, situational stopper at the wing, etc.  For all those niches, there are players better qualified than Almond.

As I said above, Morris is definitely at least serviceable in the other areas of the game, but he won't be getting called up as a defender, rebounder or distributor, and that's what makes it tough for him.  But given that Reggie Williams made the league in a similar mold (though he was better in all the other aspects of the game), here's wondering if Morris can just get a little better in a few different facets of the game, and perhaps that will get him there.

Re: Looby, that sounds about right.  I'd also add that the guy is in a two-man race to set the single-season D-League blocks record this year.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61

player observations

imo the best wings of all time

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
It was really good, I got to see Walker and Hudson. But everyone was great. Everyone could shoot the lights out.