Author Topic: Drafting a Rebounder  (Read 15456 times)

Re: Drafting a Rebounder
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It depends on what's available when we pick, but I think our rebounding situation should be addressed using the MLE (or a portion of it). The Celtics might have a shot at the following free agents:

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

Ideally the Celtics would only offer a 2 year contract and align one of those players to expire with KG and Sheed.
Why?  There's 6 players under contract for next year and 4 of them play the 4/5 spots.  No one is taking Sheed off our hands with him under contract for 2 more years.  BBD isn't likely to go anywhere either during the offseason even as an expiring deal.

Unless Danny plans on resigning Ray, Daniels, TA, Nate AND Finley, he's got many more holes to fill on the wing and backup PG again with the MLE.

The Celtics are in a good position to retain the majority of their players.

2011 Celtics?

Perk/Camby/
KG/Sheed/Baby/Sheldon/Scal
Pierce/TA/Rookie 2nd
Ray/Danieles/Rookie 1st
Rondo/Nate
mad props for wishful thinking since I really like this team too but there are a bunch of current C's I just don't see returning

Baby/Sheldon/Scal - I gotta believe 2 of these 3 guys aren't returning, surprisingly, I think the one that returns might be Sheldon

Daniels - he isn't taking a measly 20% increase to return to the Celtics. He'll probably take bigger bucks on a poor team to get starting minutes

TA - I think we have seen the last of Tony. He's an okay piece to have around during the regular season but Doc doesn't trust him as a rotational playoff contributor and so I think he is gone

Perk - I truly believe Perk and Baby might be headed out of town in a trade. I can see the C's moving a less mobile KG to the center position and trading Baby and Perk for a starting caliber PF and possibly a pick. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the C's go after David West, David Lee in a sign and trade, Michael Beasley, or Carl Landry
I agree that some of the FA's won't be resigned. 
* Scal is a prime example--his time here is over. 
* I think Danny will have to let Daniels walk for the same reason you do. 
* For that same reason, I think TA is coming back.  He won't command a raise, Danny won't need the MLE to resign him and he does provide defense on the wing. 
* Shelden probably won't be back.  He's worth more than the minimum.  Not a lot but he'll make more elsewhere.
* Nate is an unknown.  Be great to keep him if the $ is right and we don't need the MLE.  Not sure what rights we have to him where he could be resigned without requiring the MLE to do so.
* I don't think BBD is going anywhere.  Even though he's an expiring deal, I don't think Danny will be able to move him.
* Ray will surely be resigned.  Question is for how much and how long.
* Landry--gone.  Youth used as trade filler.  Won't see time here.  might get an invite to camp and that's about it.

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I think there's a strong chance that Scalabrine is retained for another season at the veteran's minimum. He is not my first choice (Singleton) for the role he is currently filling ... but he is my second choice.

I think Scal offers quite a lot in comparison to others for this specific role -- a mobile defensive minded four.

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think there's a strong chance that Scalabrine is retained for another season at the veteran's minimum. He is not my first choice (Singleton) for the role he is currently filling ... but he is my second choice.

I think Scal offers quite a lot in comparison to others for this specific role -- a mobile defensive minded four.
I disagree.  Scal is a prime place where Danny should be able to find an upgrade for the bench. 

The fanbase has waited 5 years to send him on his way.  He should have been gone at the trading deadline but he's still here.  No reason that he should still be here next year unless Danny absolutely cannot fill all the required roster spots and he needs to resign Scal to do so.  even then, I still want him gone for someone that's more productive. 

If we can get Shelden for the vet min, who's better than Scal, then I just can't see bringing Scal back even to fill out the roster.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I disagree.  Scal is a prime place where Danny should be able to find an upgrade for the bench. 

The fanbase has waited 5 years to send him on his way.  He should have been gone at the trading deadline but he's still here.  No reason that he should still be here next year unless Danny absolutely cannot fill all the required roster spots and he needs to resign Scal to do so.  even then, I still want him gone for someone that's more productive. 

If we can get Shelden for the vet min, who's better than Scal, then I just can't see bringing Scal back even to fill out the roster.

I disagree with the idea that packing as much talent on a roster is the most important thing to do because it disregards the beauty of a player who accepts his role and limitations. How often have we heard of players griping over playing time and locker room distractions in sports? It happens more than we know I assure you. Talent is to rotation just as attitude is to (end of the) bench, and I on a title contender Scal fits his role fine.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I disagree with the idea that packing as much talent on a roster is the most important thing to do because it disregards the beauty of a player who accepts his role and limitations. How often have we heard of players griping over playing time and locker room distractions in sports? It happens more than we know I assure you. Talent is to rotation just as attitude is to (end of the) bench, and I on a title contender Scal fits his role fine.
I think Scalabrine offers a very specific skill-set (defense against perimeter bigs) that is valuable for Doc Rivers to have at the end of the bench. This player doesn't need to be a rotation player but can be useful in minimizing the Celtics' vulnerability against certain matchups.

A player like Shelden Williams does not possess this skill set. Neither do many other minimum contract bigs.

That is why I think Scalabrine has enough value to be brought back in a comparable role at a minimum contract. And, like I said earlier, he is my second preference to fill this role (James Singleton is #1).

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think a guy a couple of guys that might fit that 5th or 6th big man role at a minimum could be Josh Powell, Steven Hunter, James Singleton, and though you might need to dip into the MLE a bit Louis Amundson
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think a guy a couple of guys that might fit that 5th or 6th big man role at a minimum could be Josh Powell, Steven Hunter, James Singleton, and though you might need to dip into the MLE a bit Louis Amundson
They are two of the guys I'd like to see Danny go after.

If Danny got rid of Rasheed Wallace, I would also like to see go after a big strong center. It doesn't need to be a regular rotation player but a good plug in type of talent. Rasho Nesterovic would be excellent. Kwame Brown would be a good target if he was willing to accept such a low priced contract. Johan Petro or Semih Erden being the fallback options (third string centers + sixth big in depth chart options).

Amir Johnson + James Singleton + Josh Powell + Rasho Nesterovic

Those four players would be my ideal replacement backup big men via free agency. Quickness + mobility + defensive and rebounding ability would be my priorities.

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney

If Danny got rid of Rasheed Wallace, I would also like to see go after a big strong center. It doesn't need to be a regular rotation player but a good plug in type of talent. Rasho Nesterovic would be excellent. Kwame Brown would be a good target if he was willing to accept such a low priced contract. Johan Petro or Semih Erden being the fallback options (third string centers + sixth big in depth chart options).

Those four players would be my ideal replacement backup big men via free agency. Quickness + mobility + defensive and rebounding ability would be my priorities.
What would your thoughts be to adding Udonis Haslem if Ainge could dump Big Baby and/or Rasheed Wallace in a trade

Could he be had for less than MLE money and would you make a play for him if trading Rasheed and/or Baby could fill a hole elsewhere?

I think I would
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

What would your thoughts be to adding Udonis Haslem if Ainge could dump Big Baby and/or Rasheed Wallace in a trade

Could he be had for less than MLE money and would you make a play for him if trading Rasheed and/or Baby could fill a hole elsewhere?

I think I would
I would be interested in Udonis Haslem but he would be firmly a second choice. I think Haslem will have offers at the MLE for four years.

Amir Johnson is the player that I want the most.

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
We need a impact big man. Something you cant get in the draft. I would either package Rondo+Sheed or Rondo+Perkins for a elite big man. Think Bogut,Kaman, or maybe Gasol and Gay from Memphis for Rondo and Perk. You cant win it all in the NBA without quality big men.

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
We need a impact big man. Something you cant get in the draft. I would either package Rondo+Sheed or Rondo+Perkins for a elite big man. Think Bogut,Kaman, or maybe Gasol and Gay from Memphis for Rondo and Perk. You cant win it all in the NBA without quality big men.
Radical idea trading Rondo and Perk for someone like Bogut or Kaman

I doubt it happens as neither Milwaukee or LA need a point guard or a down grade at center

Switching Gasol for perk to get Gay to back up Pierce while having no PG makes no sense
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney

I think I would
I would be interested in Udonis Haslem but he would be firmly a second choice. I think Haslem will have offers at the MLE for four years.

Amir Johnson is the player that I want the most.
Never understood the Amir Johnson love

He fouls a lot, can get pushed around on the block and has a very limited offensive game

If he's replacing Baby at less money and we can upgrade Rasheed then maybe but otherwise, I don't like Amir's game
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
Radical idea trading Rondo and Perk for someone like Bogut or Kaman

happens as neither Milwaukee or LA need a point guard or a down grade at center

Switching Gasol for perk to get Gay to back up Pierce while having no PG makes no sense

Rondo is our only chip to get a quality big man. As far as trade goes no one on our roster has much trade value. I would explore what value we could get back for a package centered around Rondo. I would resign Nate to play the point.

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I am all for trading Perk, but you need to get more value than that for Rondo.  Gasol and Gay...sure, but Kaman has been a major injury risk, and could probably be had for Perk and expiring money, and Bogut...well, neither team would do that.

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
I really cant speak to what value other GM's put on Rondo. Do you think we could get a elite big man for Rondo and filler?