Author Topic: Drafting a Rebounder  (Read 15470 times)

Re: Drafting a Rebounder
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
It depends on what's available when we pick, but I think our rebounding situation should be addressed using the MLE (or a portion of it). The Celtics might have a shot at the following free agents:

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

Ideally the Celtics would only offer a 2 year contract and align one of those players to expire with KG and Sheed.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
It depends on what's available when we pick, but I think our rebounding situation should be addressed using the MLE (or a portion of it). The Celtics might have a shot at the following free agents:

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

Ideally the Celtics would only offer a 2 year contract and align one of those players to expire with KG and Sheed.

Spending the MLE on a 5 is a bad proposition unless BOTH Sheed and Baby are dealt to fill other positions.
In theory it would be nice to draft a rebounder.  However, is anyone who is going to be available next year at in the 20s going to be able to crack the 4/5 rotation of KG/Perk/Sheed/BBD?  It'd be nice to think so, but I think it's highly unlikely. 
I don't think it's going to be too difficult for a new player to beat out Sheed + BBD for playing time next season.

I'd like to dump them both. Sign a replacement big to be the main big off the bench and then either use the draft pick or a minimum contract offer to replace BBD as the fourth big off the bench.

I do not want to see both players back next season. Certainly not Sheed. I'm open to BBD returning but not Sheed.

For a legit, NBA player, sure, for a rookie picked in the 20's or below?  I certainly wouldn't count on it.  Even if they are very quick to pick up on the system (which is unlikely), the chances of them having the talent to beat out Scal in that first year are pretty slim.  

If they want to upgrade, they need to do it with veterans.  You draft for the future, and assets, not to fill holes in the rotation.

I think a very good rebounder could crack the rotation right away, especially if said player could play the 4.  That rebounding is the skill that translates best from college to the pros makes the draft at least a theoretical option to address this short- and long-term need. 

The best player available mantra is very logical, but determining the best player isn't an exact science.  If players 20-30 on Danny's draft board are relatively similar, why not go for the one that might be able to contribute in a meaningful way?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

Why?  There's 6 players under contract for next year and 4 of them play the 4/5 spots.  No one is taking Sheed off our hands with him under contract for 2 more years.  BBD isn't likely to go anywhere either during the offseason even as an expiring deal.

Unless Danny plans on resigning Ray, Daniels, TA, Nate AND Finley, he's got many more holes to fill on the wing and backup PG again with the MLE.

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Rasheed continues his current play through the playoffs, he and his contract will become virtually untradeable
I would assume he's just about untradeable already.  Too bad Larry Brown didn't scoop him up.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

Why?  There's 6 players under contract for next year and 4 of them play the 4/5 spots.  No one is taking Sheed off our hands with him under contract for 2 more years.  BBD isn't likely to go anywhere either during the offseason even as an expiring deal.

Unless Danny plans on resigning Ray, Daniels, TA, Nate AND Finley, he's got many more holes to fill on the wing and backup PG again with the MLE.

The Celtics are in a good position to retain the majority of their players.

2011 Celtics?

Perk/Camby/
KG/Sheed/Baby/Sheldon/Scal
Pierce/TA/Rookie 2nd
Ray/Danieles/Rookie 1st
Rondo/Nate
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think a very good rebounder could crack the rotation right away, especially if said player could play the 4.  That rebounding is the skill that translates best from college to the pros makes the draft at least a theoretical option to address this short- and long-term need. 

Shelden Williams...and Brandon Hunter disagree.  Just like with any other skill, if you do not do more than just rebound, you will have trouble being in an NBA rotation.

The best player available mantra is very logical, but determining the best player isn't an exact science.  If players 20-30 on Danny's draft board are relatively similar, why not go for the one that might be able to contribute in a meaningful way?

I agree with this.  If everything else is equal, then you absolutely should go with need.  Although I am not convinced that a big man is the most likely to crack the C's rotation.  Based on guys locked up for next year, I would argue that this team has more depth up front than any place else, and their bigger need may be on the wing, or at backup PG.

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

I don't think Dallas is letting go of Haywood.

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

Brad Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Drew Gooden
Marcus Camby
Jermaine O'Neal
Brendan Haywood

The Celtics are in a good position to retain the majority of their players.

2011 Celtics?

Perk/Camby/
KG/Sheed/Baby/Sheldon/Scal
Pierce/TA/Rookie 2nd
Ray/Danieles/Rookie 1st
Rondo/Nate
mad props for wishful thinking since I really like this team too but there are a bunch of current C's I just don't see returning

Baby/Sheldon/Scal - I gotta believe 2 of these 3 guys aren't returning, surprisingly, I think the one that returns might be Sheldon

Daniels - he isn't taking a measly 20% increase to return to the Celtics. He'll probably take bigger bucks on a poor team to get starting minutes

TA - I think we have seen the last of Tony. He's an okay piece to have around during the regular season but Doc doesn't trust him as a rotational playoff contributor and so I think he is gone

Perk - I truly believe Perk and Baby might be headed out of town in a trade. I can see the C's moving a less mobile KG to the center position and trading Baby and Perk for a starting caliber PF and possibly a pick. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the C's go after David West, David Lee in a sign and trade, Michael Beasley, or Carl Landry
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Shelden Williams...and Brandon Hunter disagree.  Just like with any other skill, if you do not do more than just rebound, you will have trouble being in an NBA rotation.

I agree with this.  If everything else is equal, then you absolutely should go with need.  Although I am not convinced that a big man is the most likely to crack the C's rotation.  Based on guys locked up for next year, I would argue that this team has more depth up front than any place else, and their bigger need may be on the wing, or at backup PG.
Well it depends on how good of a rebounder.  Hunter started out gobbling up rebounds for us then quickly faded.  Williams is slightly above average rebounding, but not great.  Guys like Reggie Evans and Danny Fortson have had nice long careers based only on great rebounding.

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well it depends on how good of a rebounder.  Hunter started out gobbling up rebounds for us then quickly faded.  Williams is slightly above average rebounding, but not great.  Guys like Reggie Evans and Danny Fortson have had nice long careers based only on great rebounding.

Well, Brandon Hunter led the NCAA in rebounding. 

Fortson was a relatively talented offensive player, and Reggie Evans is a very good defender.

More importantly though, how good of a rebounder do you think they could get that late in the draft?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:00:03 AM by Chris »

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yet Danny Forston got traded because he couldn't get minutes on a Celts team with serious rebounding issues. Pitino traded for him because we needed a rebounder and then figured out that he played the same position as Antoine and they couldn't both play at the same time. I think that's similar to our present situation. We need rebounding but I don't think that solely rebounding will put our regulars on the bench. Just like how everyone knew we needed better outside shooting from our pg against Orlando but we didn't just play Eddie at the PG.

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Damion James is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward who could be available around 20-25

He also is the current record holder for most rebounds in a career for at the University of Texas

Devin Ebanks is a SF/undersized PF type that could be there and he also is a plus rebounder for that position

For the PF/C position the best bet for someone who is a good rebounder to fall that far (positionally 22-28) could be Greg Monroe from Georgetown, Solomon Alabi from Florida State, Larry Sanders from VCU, Craig Brackens from Iowa State or Ekpe Udoh from Baylor

Here are links to their Draft Express pages:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damion-James-1074/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Devin-Ebanks-1112/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Craig-Brackins-1147/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Monroe-1109/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Solomon-Alabi-551/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Larry-Sanders-5148/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ekpe-Udoh-1220/
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Fortson was a relatively talented offensive player, and Reggie Evans is a very good defender.

More importantly though, how good of a rebounder do you think they could get that late in the draft?
There are no guarantees late in the draft, you are right.  Usually it short power forwards available that late- guys like Powe, Gomes, Maxiell, Baby, Hunter.  But sometimes you get lucky like the Spurs did this last draft.

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

There are no guarantees late in the draft, you are right.  Usually it short power forwards available that late- guys like Powe, Gomes, Maxiell, Baby, Hunter.  But sometimes you get lucky like the Spurs did this last draft.

The thing is, I would consider most of those guys (Powe, Gomes, Baby, and definitely Blair) as the best players on the board at the time they were picked.  They all were sliders, who fell further in the draft then was expected because of their size and/or injury concerns.

I think there is a good chance that is the type of player the C's could end up looking at this year as well.  But I don't think it will be because they need a rebounder, I think it will be because they are a good talent who slipped. 

One guy I think could be an interesting target could be Trevor Booker.  He is a real talent, and reminds me a bit of Blair, but he could easily slip into the second round.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I'm assuming some general skill level in addition to rebounding.  Brandon Hunter was pick #57, at which point single-skill specialists were all that were available.  I'm not talking about player like him.

I'm talking about players like, well, Shelden Williams, whose best skill is rebounding, among other lesser skills.  Unfortunately, Shelden Williams has been nowhere near the rebounder, defender, efficient scorer he was in college.  One of the bigger busts in recent history, even after taking his high draft position out of the picture. 

Of course I'd also draft a great shooter, scorer, passer or defender, but those talents tend to be valued a bit more than rebounding, and thus I'm targeting rebounding as an area we could probably target with our late draft pick. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri