Author Topic: Drafting a Rebounder  (Read 15475 times)

Re: Drafting a Rebounder
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The Celtics need young talent, period.  Whether it is a bigman, wing, guard, they just need more young talent and assets.  They should take the best player available.

agree with this, especially in the 1st round, but I think in the 2nd round you can afford to be selective and move up or down to get a guy you target to fill a need

I disagree with this.  I think in the second round that the talent is so much less, that it is even more important to draft for the best talent available. 

Filling needs should be done with NBA players.  Get a FA, or make a trade.  If you are using draft picks (particularly late ones) to fill a need, it means you are in big trouble.

I think drafting for need makes more sense for rebuilding teams near the top of the draft.  At that point, you are able to pick between more talented players, and you are most likely looking for a guy to be a core player or starter.  So you want to pick someone who fits in with where you have holes in your talent base.  But at the bottom of the draft, you cannot count on anyone to even make the team, let alone be a contributor, so looking for need at that point is just going to bite you IMO.

Yup. Unlike football, the talent pool is too small and the picks too few to draft for need. Portland drafted for need when they drafted Sam Bowie...and Greg Oden for that matter.

Of course there are probably plenty of example to argue for both sides but talent is at a premium in basketball and it is foolish to balk at drafting the most talented player available to you.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Celtics need young talent, period.  Whether it is a bigman, wing, guard, they just need more young talent and assets.  They should take the best player available.

agree with this, especially in the 1st round, but I think in the 2nd round you can afford to be selective and move up or down to get a guy you target to fill a need

I disagree with this.  I think in the second round that the talent is so much less, that it is even more important to draft for the best talent available. 

Filling needs should be done with NBA players.  Get a FA, or make a trade.  If you are using draft picks (particularly late ones) to fill a need, it means you are in big trouble.

I think drafting for need makes more sense for rebuilding teams near the top of the draft.  At that point, you are able to pick between more talented players, and you are most likely looking for a guy to be a core player or starter.  So you want to pick someone who fits in with where you have holes in your talent base.  But at the bottom of the draft, you cannot count on anyone to even make the team, let alone be a contributor, so looking for need at that point is just going to bite you IMO.

Yup. Unlike football, the talent pool is too small and the picks too few to draft for need. Portland drafted for need when they drafted Sam Bowie...and Greg Oden for that matter.

Don't forget Martell Webster.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think position should be completely ignored.  If the talent is close to even, then by all means, take the guy who fits a position where he could actually play.  But you should never pick a less talented player, just because they play a position you need help at.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
You guys all assume anyone we draft would actually get to play. No big we draft is going to move ahead of Perk, KG, Sheed, and BBD. I'm assuming Scal and Shelden will be gone, but if Shelden comes back, it's doubtful Doc would move a rookie ahead of him.
Damion Jones isn't a big

He's a small forward and I am convinced that if the Celtics draft him he will be Pierce's direct back up next year and be a good rotational player from the get go

In time,(couple, three years) he would become a starter, of that I have little doubt

My bad, I was focusing on the rebounding lean of the thread.

Regardless, it's difficult for me to believe given Doc's leanings now, that anyone we draft would see the light of day unless the person is a monster, or we are decimated by injuries.

I just don't see Danny blowing the team up, and since he won't, I would expect him to go FA, FA, FA as long as possible. Therefore anyone we draft will have a difficult time getting on the court.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but at this point, I just don't see it happening.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
In theory it would be nice to draft a rebounder.  However, is anyone who is going to be available next year at in the 20s going to be able to crack the 4/5 rotation of KG/Perk/Sheed/BBD?  It'd be nice to think so, but I think it's highly unlikely. 

That's the point. We need our current players to rebound better, not to add a rebounder to the mix. Is a player that can rebound well and not add much to the offense beat any of our bigs out of the rotation?

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
In theory it would be nice to draft a rebounder.  However, is anyone who is going to be available next year at in the 20s going to be able to crack the 4/5 rotation of KG/Perk/Sheed/BBD?  It'd be nice to think so, but I think it's highly unlikely. 
I don't think it's going to be too difficult for a new player to beat out Sheed + BBD for playing time next season.

I'd like to dump them both. Sign a replacement big to be the main big off the bench and then either use the draft pick or a minimum contract offer to replace BBD as the fourth big off the bench.

I do not want to see both players back next season. Certainly not Sheed. I'm open to BBD returning but not Sheed.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
too bad Danny didn't buy a pick and get Blair, he'd have helped
Yep.  I think about this all the time.  I love beasts like Blair.  Not only the rebounding numbers, but the agressiveness and energy.  Not to mention the points off the offensive glass.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I don't think it's going to be too difficult for a new player to beat out Sheed + BBD for playing time next season.

I'd like to dump them both. Sign a replacement big to be the main big off the bench and then either use the draft pick or a minimum contract offer to replace BBD as the fourth big off the bench.

I do not want to see both players back next season. Certainly not Sheed. I'm open to BBD returning but not Sheed.

For a legit, NBA player, sure, for a rookie picked in the 20's or below?  I certainly wouldn't count on it.  Even if they are very quick to pick up on the system (which is unlikely), the chances of them having the talent to beat out Scal in that first year are pretty slim.  

If they want to upgrade, they need to do it with veterans.  You draft for the future, and assets, not to fill holes in the rotation.

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

For a legit, NBA player, sure, for a rookie picked in the 20's or below?  I certainly wouldn't count on it.  Even if they are very quick to pick up on the system (which is unlikely), the chances of them having the talent to beat out Scal in that first year are pretty slim.  

If they want to upgrade, they need to do it with veterans.  You draft for the future, and assets, not to fill holes in the rotation.
I disagree, I think you can find solid rotation players late in the first round of the draft.

Taj Gibson for instance would be a fine fourth big for the Celtics.

Edit: You have a pretty good idea on draft day about whether or not you have selected a player who can be a reliable contributor as a rookie. By the time summer league is over, which is very early in free agency + when the vast majority of low priced talent are still on the market, you have a very good idea about how capable your rookie is.

Danny will have enough information to make a good decision on whether or not his draft pick can be a rotation player as a rookie + enough time to find a backup plan should the rookie not impress. Also, enough time before deciding to trade BBD to make up his mind on the rookie.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:24:33 PM by Who »

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 02:23:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I disagree, I think you can find solid rotation players late in the first round of the draft.

Oh, you absolutely can.  My point is, how comfortable would you have been if they went into the season with Taj Gibson penciled in as part of the rotation?  I know I would have thought they were completely crazy.  That is OK for lottery teams, but not for teams with championship aspirations.

It is tremendously difficult to project which players are going to be able to help RIGHT AWAY at the bottom of the draft, and it is not a good practice for a playoff team to expect anything from those guys in their rookie years. 

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Oh, you absolutely can.  My point is, how comfortable would you have been if they went into the season with Taj Gibson penciled in as part of the rotation?  I know I would have thought they were completely crazy.  That is OK for lottery teams, but not for teams with championship aspirations.

It is tremendously difficult to project which players are going to be able to help RIGHT AWAY at the bottom of the draft, and it is not a good practice for a playoff team to expect anything from those guys in their rookie years. 
I tagged on an edit to my last post ... just repeat it here to make sure you see it

Edit: You have a pretty good idea on draft day about whether or not you have selected a player who can be a reliable contributor as a rookie. By the time summer league is over, which is very early in free agency + when the vast majority of low priced talent are still on the market, you have a very good idea about how capable your rookie is.

Danny will have enough information to make a good decision on whether or not his draft pick can be a rotation player as a rookie + enough time to find a backup plan should the rookie not impress. Also, enough time before deciding to trade BBD to make up his mind on the rookie.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

In terms of being a fourth big man in a rotation? I would be comfortable with Danny expecting a late first round pick to be a contributor.

In terms of being a 25-35 minute a night player? In the vast majority of cases, I wouldn't like it. It would take a special player (for that draft range), someone I had great faith in, to be happy about that situation.

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I want DeMarcus Cousins even if we need to throw in Perk, or I don't know sign-n-trade Ray Allen

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
If Rasheed continues his current play through the playoffs, he and his contract will become virtually untradeable
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

I agree that I think a new player could easily beat out sheed or bbd in the rotation. I don't agree at all with bringing BBD back. His negatives out-weigh his positives these days.

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
We did draft rebounders:  Glen Davis, Gabe Pruitt, Bill Walker.. .. *sarcasm off*

I would love to get another Leon Powe type player in the 2nd round of the upcoming draft.  Its gritty players like him that can help a team out in practice and when they get soft in the game.