Author Topic: Bill Walkers 21 pt game vs Cavs( Video) Update: Walker scores 22 vs Det  (Read 20468 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I guess that's the thing though, I don't even remember Bill Walker getting more playing time than the last 30 seconds of a blowout loss. He's never been given the opportunity to prove his worth on the court until now with the Knicks. Only time will tell if we gave up on him too early or not. I won't be too upset unless his 20ppg streak extends significantly.
He got minutes at times, he never did anything good with them.

I remember one chance on St. Patrick's day last year in Chicago. He single-handedly gave the Bulls 6 points at the free throw line on stupid stupid fouls because he didn't have a clue how to play defense.

I agree he didn't get a lot of chances, but its the NBA.

Yup, he got some rotation minutes down the stretch last season (although mostly at PF), and then he was starting to get minutes around the quarter this season in the few games before Daniels came back.

Unfortunately, the timing of his injury this season killed him.  He missed all of camp, and was injured for the majority of the time when they desperately needed another wing.  He wasn't back in basketball shape until Daniels was just about ready to come back...and Allen was playing some of the best basketball of his career.

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
That could be why Danny included him in the trade. In New York he would get the playing time he needs to develop and could re-sign here next year as a better player. He would also have the benefit of already knowing the Celtic's system.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
That could be why Danny included him in the trade. In New York he would get the playing time he needs to develop and could re-sign here next year as a better player. He would also have the benefit of already knowing the Celtic's system.

Negative. Part of what makes Walker attractive is his team holds options on him in eahc of the next two seasons for less than $1mil.

This has been my point that seems to continue to go without discussion (i.e. "walker wasn't going to help us win this year"). it's not about today. It's about what he might be able to contribute down the road. The team needs to develop players, and Walker was the only young player with upside we had to potentially pair with rondo for the future.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
Not that anyone cares, but here is my two cents on the Bill Walker trade...

For those who still think we have a legit shot of winning #18 this year, then getting rid of Walker, House and Giddens for Nate and Carl Landry's brother was a good move. Those still thinking we have a chance at winning realized that we needed to make a change, no matter how small, to the role players. House JUST WAS NOT GETTING IT DONE THIS SEASON! Nate is a PLAYMAKER who shoots about the same as House but has so many more skills than Eddie. Therefore, if it meant losing Walker to get Nate you would of had to make the move.

For those who think we have no legit shot of winning #18, then this trade is a little suspect. Maybe I am wrong here, but what's the most we can offer Nate in the off season? I am pretty sure we do not have his Bird rights, right? Do you really think he would sign for the MLE? Also, some think we lost two decent players in Walker and Giddens who never had their chance to shine. I tend to agree here (well, with Walker at least as Giddens had his chance and faield to do anything with it). Once again, was the risk of losing a pretty good player and two projects for a highly combustible, potential loose cannon in Nate Robinson? Those thinking we have no legit shot would possibly disagree.

Here is where I stand: I do believe that we have a chance to win #18 this year. However, I still wish that there was a chance we could have held onto Walker. This guy was a potential lottery pick a couple seasons ago who only slipped to the 2nd round due to an inury. Also, he has a VERY, VERY desirable contract over the next two seasons and athleticism that jumps out of this world even with his past injuries!

In conclusion, I think some on here are over hyping Walker a tad bit. He is now in New York's run and gun system so his numbers may be a bit inflated. However, there is no doubt in my mind that he will end up being a solid contributor in the NBA for years to come. He is a hard worker and seems to realize that he cannot just rely on his athletic ability. Like I said above, I wish there was a way we could have made this trade without losing him but considering that I think we still have a legit shot of winning #18, I think it was a good trade (even if we had to take on Carl Landry's brother).

I guess what I am trying to say is let's stop the woulda, coulda, shoulda mentality and suport our team! Let's be honest, they need all the support and good luck they can get.

(once again, sorry if nobody wanted tor ead that but I have barely posted on here in months and I jsut wanted to add my two cents on something real quick. LOL).
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Negative. Part of what makes Walker attractive is his team holds options on him in eahc of the next two seasons for less than $1mil.

This has been my point that seems to continue to go without discussion (i.e. "walker wasn't going to help us win this year"). it's not about today. It's about what he might be able to contribute down the road. The team needs to develop players, and Walker was the only young player with upside we had to potentially pair with rondo for the future.

Yep, he should have been the cheapest talent on the C's for the next two years.