Author Topic: Bill Walkers 21 pt game vs Cavs( Video) Update: Walker scores 22 vs Det  (Read 20493 times)

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He started and it was a blowout.  Betcha he'll get the hang of playing D a lot faster by playing regularly.  Already the Knicks are valuing him over House.

Re: Highlights of Bill Walkers 21 pt game ( Video)
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 05:18:26 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Unfortunately for celtic fans,coach Doc Rivers is terrible at developing talent or recognizing talent. If you remember the development of Jefferson and Gomes came about because of injuries and they were forced to play.
   It looks like Doc messed up again with Bill Walker . Doc is a great human being but he can't coach or develop young players.It's fundamental that if you don't play then you development is hindered greatly and Doc refuses to play the young kids .

Exactly!  Back when the C's were a bad team and only then when Doc had no choice it turned out that virtually all of Danny's picks were gems.  Now that Doc has the vets so he doesn't have to put a young guy out there, all of a sudden Danny can't make a single good pick?  Danny's picks need a chance, which includes the opportunity to play.

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I have a problem with a highlight video of a guy in a game where he got blown out.   ::)
To quote a reaction after his last game.

Tonight he did it again only winning the game this time.

9/13 and 22 points.

Nice to know that he picked his change when given.

bill walker== ricky davis

and beleive thats a fair good intended comparisson

I guarantee he will be a better player then Ricky Davis. You can compare them physically, but Bill Walker is more intelligent person with a better basketball IQ. I really think he will be Joe Johnson part II for the Celtics. The one that got away, again...

I think saying that Walker is  = to Ricky Davis is being pretty generous. Unless you are comparing him to Ricky Davis right now. I guess he can dunk well and has scored pretty well on a crap team like davis but he still has only done that for 2 games. Ricky Davis in his prime was a pretty decent player. I don't really know how you can say that he is more intelligent with a better BBall IQ than Davis unless you have coached him or something.
Bill Walker will NEVER be as good as Joe Johnson.  The C's knew Johnson was a good player.  The jury is still out on Walker.

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Unfortunately for celtic fans,coach Doc Rivers is terrible at developing talent or recognizing talent. If you remember the development of Jefferson and Gomes came about because of injuries and they were forced to play.
   It looks like Doc messed up again with Bill Walker . Doc is a great human being but he can't coach or develop young players.It's fundamental that if you don't play then you development is hindered greatly and Doc refuses to play the young kids .

Exactly!  Back when the C's were a bad team and only then when Doc had no choice it turned out that virtually all of Danny's picks were gems.  Now that Doc has the vets so he doesn't have to put a young guy out there, all of a sudden Danny can't make a single good pick?  Danny's picks need a chance, which includes the opportunity to play.
I think you found the right way to explain it.  Danny didn't suddenly lose his ability to find talent in the draft.  it's about the kids getting playing time and not having to worry about getting yanked after a mistake.  The other youth got PT due to injuries or lack of team depth and stayed on the floor because Doc didn't have an option for substitution.  The kids learned and improved through playing time.

I'm not saying that Walker and Giddens are going to be all-stars nor that they should have been on the floor over Ray/PP/TA/Daniels but when that depth was decimated by injuries, they certainly were the better options to put on the floor than running Ray into the ground or putting Scal on the floor at the 3.  That's on Doc.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Walker never showed anything but an ability to dunk whenever he was on the floor with us. Whether it was nerves or not, this team is designed to win a championship now and our depth at the SG and SF is fine.

Ray/Tony
PP/Quis

No room for Billy Walker. What did we need? A back-up PG. We got Nate Ronbinson.

Sounds delicious to me.

No room? We have two extra roster spots, and that doesn't include Marcus Landry.

Room isn't the issue. And I don't have a problem with Doc not playing him. I just wish the Cs hadn't traded their only young player with upside (making peanuts with option years ahead). It's not about this year -- clearly he can play and he could have continued to learn and grow to play with Rondo in the coming years. The transition to the next generation is going to be ugly already -- he could have helped.

There were other ways to complete this deal. They could have traded Williams instead, especially considering they don't have his bird rights so they'll have to use some of the MLE if they decide they want to keep him after this year anyway (meaning, they won't).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The Knicks are aware of Williams' talent. They actually have scouts that know the game.  They more than likely wanted Walker.  I mean Dantoni is awful coach but, he has eyes.

He wasn't going to get any run behind:

Pierce
Allen
Allen
Daniels
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Knicks are aware of Williams' talent. They actually have scouts that know the game.  They more than likely wanted Walker.  I mean Dantoni is awful coach but, he has eyes.

He wasn't going to get any run behind:

Pierce
Allen
Allen
Daniels

Think you missed the point:

a) 3 of the 4 guys you mention have expiring contracts, and the other could. I'm talking about the future.

b) The Knicks wanted Walker? You'd have to assume -- they traded for him. But I have a hard time believing there's no way the deal goes down without Walker.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I have a problem with a highlight video of a guy in a game where he got blown out.   ::)

Well you should have had a problem with all the time he spent on the bench in Boston, playing behind Baby and Scal.  NY got 3 players for one: and our only youth.
You'll have a problem if Walker turns into Joe Johnson, or Chauncey Billups.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
gerald green once scored 33 points in a game, and he as we know is a true superstar!!!  ::)
But he can blow out a candle before dunking!   ;)

****, indeed!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

9/13 and 22 points.

I guarantee he will be a better player then Ricky Davis. You can compare them physically, but Bill Walker is more intelligent person with a better basketball IQ. I really think he will be Joe Johnson part II for the Celtics. The one that got away, again...

I think saying that Walker is  = to Ricky Davis is being pretty generous. Unless you are comparing him to Ricky Davis right now. I guess he can dunk well and has scored pretty well on a crap team like davis but he still has only done that for 2 games. Ricky Davis in his prime was a pretty decent player. I don't really know how you can say that he is more intelligent with a better BBall IQ than Davis unless you have coached him or something.

You can usually tell if a person is half-way intelligent by the way they speak and interview. Not to mention Ricky Davis's antics on an off the court. throwing the ball off his own basket to get himself a triple double. Are you serious? Gotta be pretty bright to do something like that. If you do not have a high IQ as a person I do not think you would suddenly develop one on the court.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Walker never showed anything but an ability to dunk whenever he was on the floor with us. Whether it was nerves or not, this team is designed to win a championship now and our depth at the SG and SF is fine.

Ray/Tony
PP/Quis

No room for Billy Walker. What did we need? A back-up PG. We got Nate Ronbinson.

Sounds delicious to me.

No room? We have two extra roster spots, and that doesn't include Marcus Landry.

Room isn't the issue. And I don't have a problem with Doc not playing him. I just wish the Cs hadn't traded their only young player with upside (making peanuts with option years ahead). It's not about this year -- clearly he can play and he could have continued to learn and grow to play with Rondo in the coming years. The transition to the next generation is going to be ugly already -- he could have helped.

There were other ways to complete this deal. They could have traded Williams instead, especially considering they don't have his bird rights so they'll have to use some of the MLE if they decide they want to keep him after this year anyway (meaning, they won't).

I could not agree more, TP.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

9/13 and 22 points.

You can usually tell if a person is half-way intelligent by the way they speak and interview. Not to mention Ricky Davis's antics on an off the court. throwing the ball off his own basket to get himself a triple double. Are you serious? Gotta be pretty bright to do something like that. If you do not have a high IQ as a person I do not think you would suddenly develop one on the court.

I really don't care how someone talks in an interview or what their "IQ as a person" is at all. I just care about production. So far Bill Walker has produced in 2 games for the Knicks. Ricky Davis has done a little bit more than that in his career. I can see Billy Walker's ceiling as being a Ricky Davis but right now he is know where even close to that level. By the way if he did end being the next Ricky Davis it wouldn't be that bad, Davis was a pretty decent player even if he did do that stupid play 10 years ago to get his first trip double. Also Nate did something probably just as idiotic in a game like 2 months ago. I don't think either of those plays were that big a deal but i love when it gets people huffing and puffing for some reason

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

So does Lionel Hollins (Grizzlies Head Coach) just not like playing rookies, too? Is that why Lester Hudson's in the D-League again with the Grizzlies?

If you just didn't like the fact that the Celtics cut Hudson, then that's fine. Still, if another team won't play Hudson, then you can't just say Doc didn't play him just because he now "doesn't have to put a young guy out there". I mean, are you saying that now the GRIZZLIES aren't giving Hudson a chance?

Naturally, I have no proof Walker was infact needed in order to get Nate, but if D'Antoni's willing to start Walker at this point, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

I

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Don't know if this has been posted, but everyone should check out this Post article about Walker.  It starts out like this:

"Bill Walker prepares himself and gets inspired before each game via the Web. His gameday routine is to watch a mix of Paul Pierce, his former Celtics teammate and the man he patterns his game after, on YouTube.

"Get in my mental mode, . . . going out and trying to be somebody today," Walker said.

Walker was someone last night again, and it might be a sleeper role player for the Knicks the rest of this season and possibly going forward. The 22-year-old swingman soared for a game-high 22 points in the Knicks' 128-104 win over the Pistons at the Garden, nailing nine of 13 shots, including six dunks.

It was the high-flying Walker's first career start and his second straight strong game. In Cleveland on Monday, he went for 21 points on 9-of-14 from the field.

"I don't want to go too far. We haven't seen that much of him," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "But I'm pretty excited about what I've seen."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/trade_throw_in_walker_soaring_with_AYrZhUm2kiO2BT8ii0QSLI#ixzz0hFjmJT99"

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Marcus Landry probably won't get developed by the Celtics either.

Walker and Giddens would not have seen any playoff PT

The Celtics have seen the future and it is NOW

Welcome Finley to the geriatric club

One more chance for a title before the whole roster blows up
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.