Author Topic: Car Audio Question  (Read 2796 times)

Car Audio Question
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm looking to pair a subwoofer to an amp. Specifically, I'll be utilizing a sealed enclosure which will be bolted into the hatchback area of my vehicle. The amp will be bridged to operate in 3 way mode with 2 channels at 50 watts RMS each to the front channels and in bridged mode at 150 watts RMS (at 4 ohms) to the sub.

I have settled on two choices for a sub: Polk db1040 and Boston Acoustics G110-4. The Boston sub has a max RMS range up to 200 watts and the Polk has a max RMS range up to 270 watts with a minimum of 50 watts. My question is whether I should go with the Boston sub because the max wattage is closer to my intended power levels or go with the Polk sub.

I'm leaning towards the Polk because it's cheaper and also I have the db series speakers installed which I am beyond happy with. Any ideas regarding under powering a sub? Loudness isn't my main concern since the sub will be placed in the hatch but rather sound quality is.

Re: Car Audio Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am no expert but I had to Polk 15's and they were INSANE... a little basey though so tough to listen to quieter music and maybe more designed for rap.

I actually ditched them when I got my X5, and I listen to more Nirvana type stuff than rap so they aren't meant for me... If you drive a hatchback I am guessing you listen to rap though so I would recommend them.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
I am no expert but I had to Polk 15's and they were INSANE... a little basey though so tough to listen to quieter music and maybe more designed for rap.

I actually ditched them when I got my X5, and I listen to more Nirvana type stuff than rap so they aren't meant for me... If you drive a hatchback I am guessing you listen to rap though so I would recommend them.

::)

Way to stereotype...

Okay, fine, that stereotype applies to me.  :-[

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:09:16 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I guess you never heard rock music blaring from car speakers? ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Haha sorry to stereotype... stereotypes are there for a reason though! I don't see many hatchbacks blaring Stone Temple Pilots!!

I don't get what you mean Bankshot? I have been known to blare my rock music...

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
For the record, I listen to hip hop and alternative pretty much on a 60/40 basis. I'm not looking to shake the crap out of my fellow motorists. I listen to my music at moderate levels so the wattage in relation to volume isn't important. My main question is whether I should under power the sub by 120 watts or by 50 watts of its max rating.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »

Offline Celtzfan8617

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
For the record, I listen to hip hop and alternative pretty much on a 60/40 basis. I'm not looking to shake the crap out of my fellow motorists. I listen to my music at moderate levels so the wattage in relation to volume isn't important. My main question is whether I should under power the sub by 120 watts or by 50 watts of its max rating.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it would be best to go for under 50watts under its max rating to avoid clipping. If you try and crank the system with an under powered amp that will be the result I believe.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
I don't think clipping will be an issue if I set the gain correctly. I'm not concerned about clipping as much as I am with the sound quality.