Author Topic: Knicks (19-35) at Celtics (35-19) 2/23  (Read 55149 times)

Knicks (19-35) at Celtics (35-19) 2/23
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  AT 

New York Knicks (19-35) at Boston Celtics (35-19)
Tuesday, February 23
7:30 PM ET
TV:  CSN-NE, MSG, NBA LP 752, 753
Radio:  WEEI,  WEPN
TD Garden

Referees:   Monty McCutchen, Kevin Fehr, Courtney Kirkland

Probable Starting Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Chris Duhon

vs 
Ray Allen vs Tracy McGrady

vs 
Tony Allen vs Wilson Chandler 

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Danilo Gallinari 

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs David Lee

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Marquis Daniels
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Marcus Landry
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis   

Injuries
Paul Pierce (thumb) questionable

Reserves 
Bill Walker
Eddie House
Al Harrington
Jonathan Bender
Sergio Rodriguez
Toney Douglas

Injuries
Eddy Curry (knee)  out
JR Giddens (knee)  out
Tracy McGrady (knee) questionable

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Chris Duhon
Rajon Rondo is the engine that makes this team run.  When Rondo is aggressive and drives to the basket and sets the pace of the game, the Celtics play so much better than when he is tentative.  He needs to set the tone for the starters right from the beginning.  He should have a very good game against Duhon

vs 
Ray Allen vs Tracy McGrady
Ray Allen has been playing his best basketball of the season and TMac had a great first game with the Knicks.  Hopefully Ray will stay hot and since McGrady hasn't been playing until recently, Ray should have more stamina and be able to outlast TMac. 

Honorable Mention
Nate Robinson vs Eddie House
This will be a fun matchup to watch between two players who were traded for each other.  Eddie shot the lights out in his first game with the Knicks and will be looking to light up the Celtics as well.  Nate hasn't had a practice with the Celtics and so Doc said they would mostly run pick and rolls when he is in.   

Team Connections
 Doc Rivers played for the Knicks from 1992-95..
Tom Thibodeau was an assistant coach with New York from 1996-2002
Eddie House played for the Celtics from 2007-10 and was a part of the 2008 championship team
J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker also played for the Celtics
from 2008-10
Nate Robinson was a member of the Knicks from 2005-10
Al Harrington and Marquis Daniels were teammates in Indiana during the 2006-07 season.

Game Notes
 The Celtics are currently leading the season series, 1-0; Celtics won the season series 3-1 against New York in 2008-09
 Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 24.0 points per game last season
 Al Harrington led the Knicks with 22.3 points per game last season against the Celtics
 The C’s are 17-4 against the Knicks since the 2004-05 season
 The Celtics are leading the all-time series 267-169 with the Celtics 144-59 at home

This game should have more emotion than any Celtics/Knicks game in recent memory.    This will be Nate Robinson's debut with the Celtics and Eddie's first game back to the Garden as a Knick.   I am sure Eddie will receive a warm welcome but he will do his best to bury his old team in a shower of 3's.   We have no idea what to expect from Nate but it is certain that he also will do his best to help his new team beat his old team.

With the addition of Eddie and Tracy McGrady, the Knicks won't be quite as easy to beat as they have been in the past.  In their first meeting this season in New York, the Celtics won by 2 points in overtime.   The Knicks have been slumping, having gone 1-9 in their last 10 games.   The Celtics have been picking up the pace and even though they are 6-4 in their last 10 games, they have won 3 of their last 4 games.   The Knicks are 7-17 on the road while the Celtics are 15-9 at home.   The Knicks last won in Boston in November 2006. 

The Knicks are playing in back to back games, having played the Bucks the night before.   But, in spite of that, I am sure they will be up for this game.    Tracy McGrady is trying to prove to one and all that he can still play. However, in last night's game against the Bucks he came up limping once again and at this point, his status against the Celtics isn't known.    We know that Eddie House will be motivated to put on a show.  And, an underrated addition to the team is Sergio Rodriguez, who is a handful off the bench.   

Just when the Celtics thought they were finally healthy, the Captain came up with a thumb injury.   He is questionable for this game and it would be a good thing for Doc to sit him in this game because he hasn't been very effective in the past 2 games since hurting his thumb.    I would guess that Doc will start Tony if Pierce does sit out, but it also could be Marquis Daniels.   

Keys to the Game
Defense The Celtics had gotten back to their tough team defense in the first 3 games of the road trip, but against the Nuggets, they slacked off again.  They need to bring that defensive focus game in and game out. 

Rebound   The Celtics have been allowing other teams to out rebound them.  They need to make a concerted effort to grab rebounds on both the offensive and defensive ends.   David Lee is very good at tip ins and put backs and the Knicks will be looking to run on defensive rebounds so the Celtics must crash the boards to limit both of those options for the Knicks.   

Rondo's Aggression As goes Rondo, so goes the team.  Rondo must be aggressive and set the pace of the game and take the ball inside.  He can't be tentative because that makes the whole team tentative. 

Focus The Celtics tend to lose focus from time to time, especially at home for some bizarre reason.  They have to make a statement over the last part of the season and so they have to come out focused in each and every game and they have to re-establish home dominance. 

X-Factor
First Home Game After Road Trip
The first home game after a road trip tends to be a let down game.  Hopefully the Celtics will be focused on getting back to dominance and not let this happen. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:53:49 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Knicks (19-35) at Celtics (35-19) 2/23
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'll be nice to see the ovation for Eddie tomorrow night.

I'm definitely interested in the point guard matchups.  What should be especially fascinating is seeing Eddie trying to defend Rondo at some point.  It might not be pretty if you're a Knicks fan.

Obviously, the biggest thing to be looking for is how well Nate meshes with this team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Yeah, E House guarding Rondo might get awkward.

Bottom line is, the C's need to win this one large not only for confidence sake but for the resting of the older guys due to what is coming up on Thursday night.

Do not take the Knicks lightly.  Let's jump on them and keep the peddle to the metal.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
an utter destruction is coming

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
How strange is it to read that?

Team Connections
Eddie House played for the Celtics from 2007-10 and was a part of the 2008 championship team
J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker also played for the Celtics
from 2008-10

I still miss Eddie, but he will get a big standing ovation tomorrow, it will be great to watch!

Like I said in another thread, I hope the C's will win this game in impressive fashion to re-establish their homecourt advantage because they have not done that at all this season... now that they seem to have "turned the switch" let's hope they switch it even better in Boston!

Definitely a fun game to watch with many subplots. It will be kind of akward and fun, indeed, to see Eddie defend on Rondo at some point.

I'm really excited to see Nate's debut as a Celtic, let's hope he does well! And I would be glad to see the Captain sitting for this one in order to get some rest and to heal his thumb and his knees.

TP FL and let's go C's!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Waiting for tipoff, here is Nate in Celtics green grey.

"This is a great opportunity for both of us being a part of a historic team. It's overwhelming."

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
KG  should have a HUGE game. Is Gallo really their starting PF for the future? That seems ridiculous.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm expecting another great game from Ray.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Go Celtics!!  See you all in chat
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »

Kiorrik

I'll be watching from my bed so I can fall asleep while the game is on ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Did Tanguay just say Scal got a spray tan?  :o

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
;D
man i miss it

on hair?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

lol yeah, I think it was a bet or something.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »

Kiorrik

My ILP is still black :(

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »

Kiorrik

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaah THERE WE GO!!!

LETS GO CELTICS!!!