Poll

Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?

Donny Marshall
3 (5.6%)
Mike Gorman
0 (0%)
Remy
0 (0%)
Big O/Glen Ordway
7 (13%)
Ron Borges
2 (3.7%)
Tommy
1 (1.9%)
Michael Holley
1 (1.9%)
Bob Ryan
1 (1.9%)
Dan Shaughnessy
6 (11.1%)
Bill Simmons
1 (1.9%)
John Dennis
1 (1.9%)
Gerry Kallahan
8 (14.8%)
Greg Dickerson
1 (1.9%)
Gary Tanguay
8 (14.8%)
Scott Zolak
0 (0%)
Bob Lobel
1 (1.9%)
Meterparel
1 (1.9%)
Iggy
0 (0%)
Michael Felger
10 (18.5%)
Sean McDonough
0 (0%)
Tony Massarotti
0 (0%)
Pete Shepherd
0 (0%)
Bob Neumeier
0 (0%)
Dale Arnold
2 (3.7%)
Jackie MacMullan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?  (Read 17678 times)

Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't have a strong opinion here. I kinda like them all, except maybe one or two. I'm just sorta curious what y'all come up with. I always learn a thing or two when I do a poll like this.

Re: Who's your least favorite New England sports personality/writer?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
good question. i guess i would say Meterparel but he is so insignificant, i feel bad saying that. i despise gresh. a loudmouth who knows nothing. CHB gets under my skin, but he is a very talented writer when he puts his mind to it. felger plays the instigator role, and it is very transparent when he is saying dumb stuff to tick off the boston fan (hines ward is better than randy moss).
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
good question. i guess i would say Meterparel but he is so insignificant, i feel bad saying that. i despise gresh. a loudmouth who knows nothing. CHB gets under my skin, but he is a very talented writer when he puts his mind to it. felger plays the instigator role, and it is very transparent when he is saying dumb stuff to tick off the boston fan (hines ward is better than randy moss). i also hate dale arnold, or as i call him disclaimer dale. he starts everything he says with a disclaimer. like he is a lawyer. "now we did not see that happened, but here is what we can say......I am not an expert on that, but let me say my opinion."
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Is Peter May no longer on the Boston sports writing scene?  I used to despise his writing, mainly for his pathological and relentless Danny bashing that he used to engage in.  When Danny brought in Ray and Garnett, it seems he faded from the scene entirely.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Gresh didn't make the list?  he sucks!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
CHB gets under my skin, but he is a very talented writer when he puts his mind to it.

Who is CHB?

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Simmons and Felger ... both as arrogant and "Know-it-All" as you can get.  :P
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Was hoping to see some Providence candidates on the list since it mentioned New England writers.

Far and away biggest waste of space in the New England journalism realm is Bill Reynolds of the Providence Journal.  Complete dumbass that doesn't know anything about anything.  

Not only a complete know-nothing, he also had the nerve to repeatedly pass off the quizzes from the Celtic broadcasts as his own quizzes in his column without giving credit.  Used to badger him mercilessly about ripping off the broadcasts for material and not giving any of the credit to his source.  

Complete tool.

Jim Donaldson's (Blow-Jo too) not too far behind either in terms of being a know-nothing.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Shouldn't Donny Marshall actually have to *have* a personality to be on this list?

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
edit
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:10:50 PM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Scribe:  Ron Borges

Radio: Gerry Callaghan (yes, I'm well aware that he writes too but his radio antics are 10x more insufferable)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Chris Collins: Talk a bout a Celtic bandwagon jumping, disingenuous, sarcastic, droning little twerp. Aside from my dislike of his delivery (he pauses, inappropriately for effect oftentimes)and voice, the fact that he even subs on Comcast in pre and post Cs broadcasts makes me crazy; here's why.

During that brutal losing streak we were suffering through in that dark 2006-2007 season, he was doing his usual bland, stilted presentation of the day's Boston sports news on NECN. After he had covered the usual Red Sox (hot stove stuff), Pats and then Bruins, he then flippantly said: "oh yeah, the Celtics......WHO CARES" as he crumbles the sheet with the Celtics report on it and throws it over his shoulder. As a long suffering Celtics fan, I wanted to jump through the screen and whack him. I know that often the Cs and Bs too are often marginalized in this town by the fans of those other teams (I won't mention, because they are mentioned ad nauseam), but to see it done on TV by a supposed objective journalist (I can't believe I used that word in reference to this dope) galled me to no end, and I'll admit I was probably especially sensitive to it because of the losing streak.

Because of that incident, to see this guy anywhere near the Cs and to be making $$ off them, albeit indirectly, seems wrong.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:30:42 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33
My choice for Ordway has nothing to do with yesterday. I can't stand the Big Show anymore. I'm thankful that i have another option now. I'd much rather listen to Felger

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Now that Peter May has retired, I'll say Dan Shaughnessy, clearly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Butch Sterns.  He is unbearable.  I often listen to WEEI, and can handle a lot, but he is the one guy who makes me change the channel, no matter what.  He also comes across like he is a world-class jerk in real life as well, unlike some other guys who have an annoying on-air persona (for example, I think guys like Felger, the Big-O, and even Gerry Callahan, are probably pretty nice guys).

As for writers, I don't really read anyone enough to care at this point.  There is no one who makes me want to read their articles, just because of who wrote it (Felger is the closest...although he has gotten much worse since he took on all the other gigs), and there is no one I won't read if the topic is interesting to me.