Author Topic: Celtics (34-18) at Trailblazers (32-24) 2/19  (Read 73615 times)

Celtics (34-18) at Trailblazers (32-24) 2/19
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   

Boston Celtics (34-18)  at Portland Trailblazers (32-24)
Friday, February 19
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #53 – Road Game #29
TV:  CSN-NE,  CSN-POR,  RTV,  ESPN   
Radio:  WEEI, KXTG 
Rose Garden

Unlike most other teams in the NBA, the naming rights to the Trailblazers new home was not sold. The team decided to name the arena after Portland as it is known as the Rose City and used the word, garden, because the word was often used as part of old arenas’ names.

Probable Starters

PG:  Rajon Rondo
SG:  Ray Allen
SF:   Paul Pierce
PF:   Kevin Garnett
C:    Kendrick Perkins

Reserves

Rasheed Wallace
Glen Davis
Shelden Williams
Brian Scalabrine
Marquis Daniels 
Nate Robinson   
Marcus Landry

Injuries
Tony Allen (ankle)  doubtful   

Probable Starters

PG:  Andre Miller   
SG:  Brandon Roy
SF:   Martell Webster
PF:   LaMarcus Aldridge
C:    Juwan Howard

Reserves
Rudy Fernandez
Jerryd Bayless
Jeff Pendergraph
Dante Cunningham
Nicholas Batum
Patrick Mills 

Injuries
Nicholas Batum (shoulder)  out
Greg Oden  (knee)  out
Joel Przybilla (knee)  out 
Brandon Roy (hamstring) probable

Team Connections
Joel Przybilla and Ray Allen were teammates in Milwaukee from 2000-03
Rasheed Wallace played for the Trail Blazers from  1996-2004
Juwan Howard played for Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 2003-04 season

Key Matchups
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Brandon Roy 
Brandon Roy has been battling a pulled hamstring.  Reports are that he plans to play in this game but it is safe to say that he isn't 100%.  Ray had a terrific game against the Lakers and hopefully he will continue with his hot shooting in this game and make Roy have to work on the defensive end. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs LaMarcus Aldridge
KG's first game back after his injury was against the Blazers in Boston.  He still isn't 100%  but has been slowly improving.  Maybe this will be the game that he turns the corner.   

Honorable Mention
Rajon Rondo vs Andre Miller
Rondo is the key to the Celtics on both ends of the court.  As goes Rondo so go the Celtics.  Miller is a good PG and Rondo needs to be aggressive on both ends of the court to help the Celtics get this win. 

Game Notes: 
 The C’s are currently leading the season series 1-0; The Celtics split the season series with the Blazers 1-1 during the 2008-09 season
 Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 20.5 points per game last season
 LaMarcus Aldridge averaged 16.5 points per game against the Celtics last season
 The C’s are 9-2 against Portland since the 2004-05 season
 The Celtics are leading the all-time series 57-39 with the Celtics 32-15 at home

The Celtics are going for their 3rd win in a row and are coming off an emotional one point win over the Lakers.  The starters had their best game in a long time against the Lakers and they finally found their defensive focus as well.  The Celtics may be missing a couple of key players off the bench in that Eddie is gone and  Nate may not make it in time to play in this game and Tony Allen injuried his ankle in the Lakers game and is doubtful.   Hopefully the starters won't go back to their sleep walking mentality and will come out strong in this game as they did against the Lakers.

The Blazers have done amazingly well with all the injuries they have had this season.  At one point they were playing with 7 and 8 players. Their top 2 centers have been out most of the season and for that reason they just picked up Marcus Camby for the stretch run.  this is a dangerous team in the say way that a wounded animal is dangerous.   They are playing wounded but are playing hard and with heart. 

Roy is struggling with a hamstring injury and even though he played in the Blazers last game against the Clippers on Tuesday, he was forced to sit out the second half with tightness in the hamstring.   He plans to play in this one, but it's safe to say that he won't be 100%.   Camby will probably be available for this game, but will still be learning the plays and so the Celtics will have an advantage inside.   Perk had a great game against the Lakers and hopefully he will continue his strong play in this one.   

The Celtics can't rest on their accomplishments in winning the first two games on this trip and in beating the Fakers.  They have to focus on each game at hand and especially concentrate on the defensive end.  They are entering the stretch run of the season and if they hope to make any noise in the playoffs, they must get it together in these last 29 games.  They have to make each one count. 

Keys to the Game
Play 48 Minutes    The Celtics lead the league in games lost after leading by 10 or more.  The third quarter used to be their time to put other teams away but recently, the Celtics have been the team getting put away in the third quarter.  They must maintain their focus in the second half of games.  They were able to hang on and pull out tough games in their last 2 games and they need to build on that.   

Defense  The Celtics beat the Lakers with a solid defensive  effort.  Defense wins games and championships.  They have to remember that and continue to put a premium on team defense. 

Rebound    The Celtics have become one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.  Part of this could be  due to KG's inability to battle in the paint since returning from his injury and Rasheed's lack of desire to battle in the paint.   They have to grab the rebounds to prevent fast breaks and second chance points. 

Focus    Many of the Celtics problems are the result of a lack of focus.  They seem to be improving in this area in the past 2 games but they still have a way to go to get back to the focused team that can win a championship.  There are still too many lapses on both ends of the court. 

X-Factor
Players Coming and Going
Both teams have new players who may or may not play in this game.  They are also missing key players who have been traded.  How effective these new players are if they play and how the teams can make up for their missing teammates will be the x factor in this one.   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:25:00 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (34-18) at Trailblazers (32-24) 2/19
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Are they going to get to play 6 on 5 again?   ::)

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

really funny.

all seriousness, i think the c's are in trouble tonight. tough to bounce back from an emotional game last night.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

really funny.

all seriousness, i think the c's are in trouble tonight. tough to bounce back from an emotional game last night.

Yeah, plus the Blazers are young, quick, and they have had rest for some days so they will definitely will be prepared for that game. And Brandon Roy will be playing.

I just hope Miller doesn't torch us once again but it's probably going to happen since he owns the matchup against Rondo. Without TA and Robinson, our bench will be thin like paper and our starters will be tired from last night's game so... I'm not really optimistic on this one.

But we can still win this game, of course, and it would be great to win it to keep this winning streak going on a successful road-trip so far! I expect a "redemption game" from Marquis and Sheed.

Too bad it starts at 4:30 am here, I will catch the replay tomorrow.

TP FL and let's go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Wow, Juwon Howard is starting at center? What about Camby?

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Without TA and Robinson, our bench will be thin like paper

I Believe Nate is playing today
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:59:09 PM by jr_3421 »
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
Is KG not playing tonight or why does ESPN have Wallace starting at PF?!?!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:08:20 PM by prov1ml34 »
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum

Without TA and Robinson, our bench will be thin like paper
[/quote]

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
This road trip has already exceeded my expectations and I'll be happy all week after they dumped the Lakers.  That said, I wouldn't mind another surprising performance (and W?) by our Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I Believe Nate is playing today

Hm, if Nate is playing, then our chances really increase because I think he will give a real boost to the C's and to the 2nd unit, or to close the 2nd half!

Let's hope he plays!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:00:15 PM by Drucci »

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
yeah...guard is thin right now..i expect daniels has a better game tonight...he was out of it last night

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
This road trip has already exceeded my expectations and I'll be happy all week after they dumped the Lakers.  That said, I wouldn't mind another surprising performance (and W?) by our Celtics.

LOL. I know! It was so sweet to wake up this morning and find out that we won. And that is was by 1 point meaning it was a painful loss for them. And the icing on the cake was seeing Fisher fumble away the chance at a game winner ;D

I'm looking forward to tonight. Not worried so much about winning as seeing them play well.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Celtics are using their bench more recently. The depth and the energy will be a factor tonight but not as much as you might think coming off All-star rest.

The defensive effort has been better lately so the Celtics have a decent chance to win tonights game. If they find another win tonight, I'll take it as very good signal that the 2nd half of the season will be a lot better.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
More importantly than if Nate is playing is Roy playing? If we can catch LA and Portland without hteir best two players that would be great.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
I'm looking for Perk being more aggressive on the offensive and defensive boards. For the first time in a while during the Laker game He was a factor concerning rebounds. That's when Perk is at his best

-Paul Pierce