Author Topic: The "Talk Up Your Pick 2 Draft Team" Thread  (Read 34003 times)

The "Talk Up Your Pick 2 Draft Team" Thread
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sorry for the lack of activity / follow up in the Pick 2 draft; unfortunately, the end of it coincided with me moving from New Jersey to Maine and setting up a new place with my fiancee.  Busy stuff.

So anyway, I figured this is a good thread to talk up our Pick 2 teams, and have some good natured debated about them.

Here's mine (final roster courtesy of Bahku, who deserves lots of TPs):

UPDATE:

The "New Look" Oklahoma City Robber Barons  :
Roy Hobbs - General Manager

Pos.     Starting Five                  PPG             Salary     RB/G     APG     Efficiency
C   -Greg Oden11.1$  5,361,240.00       8.5      0.9       +17.71
PF -Elton Brand 14.3$14,858,472.00       6.5      1.3       +15.78
SF -Kevin Durant 29.7$  4,796,880.00       7.3      3.0       +26.88
SG -Anthony Morrow 11.4$     736,420.00       3.5      1.3       +11.54
PG -Russell Westbrook 16.2$  3,755,640.00       5.0      7.5       +17.28

C   -Andray Blatche  8.8$  3,000,000.00       5.0      1.2       +10.58
PF -Brandan Wright  0.0$  2,671,440.00       0.0      0.0       +  0.00
SF -Charles Villanueva 13.8$  6,500,000.00       5.3      0.7       +12.65
SG -Francisco Garcia  0.0$  5,800,000.00       0.0      0.0       +  0.00
PG -Rodrigue Beaubois  5.2$  1,075,440.00       1.1      1.2       +  4.79

F   -Earl Clark  2.8$  1,766,280.00       1.1      0.5       +  2.08
G  -Sergio Llull  0.0$  2,250,000.00       0.0      0.0       +  0.00

Total budget so far:                                    $52,571,812.00

Based upon roster construction, I'm thinking about going with the following lineup:

Oden / Brand
Charlie V. / Blatche / Wright
Durant / (Garcia) / Clark
Morrow / Garcia
Westbrook / Beaubois

Sergio Llull is a guy for the future, obviously.

In the short term, I think my team would be competitive, but would ultimately miss the playoffs.  I think it would have a chance in the "real" NBA, but I think with some of the stacked teams here, next year is probably a more realistic time to shoot for the playoffs, especially with the Oden, Wright, and Garcia injuries.

As a team of the future, though, I love this team's potential.  Durant is the elite superstar scorer, and Oden and Westbrook are both amazing defenders.  Morrow is a superb shooter who can put up 20+ points, and Brand -- while overpaid -- is a supremely talented post player.

If my team is lacking anything, it's veteran leaders outside of Brand.  However, I think I'd be able to add "glue" guys in free agency.

So, where do I see this team?  I think it's probably, in my mind, the clear cut "team of the future".  Of course, I can't take much credit for that, as it's easy to build a young team with Durant, Westbrook, and the 4th pick in the draft as building blocks.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: The "Talk Up Your Pick 2 Draft Team" Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Bump...  Anybody have any interest in discussing their teams?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm planning a write up after I finish some school work.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'll try to get to this during the weekend as well.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
My team is splendidly mediocre.  (I am talking my team "up" for the being horrific)
Yup

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
My team will be champ.
No contest
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
My team will be champ.
No contest

You'd best pray Sean May doesn't eat or sit on Steve Blake.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
My team will be champ.
No contest

You'd best pray Sean May doesn't eat or sit on Steve Blake.

Do you want me to remember how Sean MAy plays against Cs

Sean May is my 12th player
just like Scal on fried chicken

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
My team will be champ.
No contest

I don't have every team memorized, but I'm very impressed with Orlando.  To me, they're the favorites to come out of the East, and probably to win the whole thing.

C:  Dwight Howard / Kurt Thomas / Jeff Foster
PF: Rashard Lewis/ Eduardo Najera/ Sean May
SF: Ron Artest/ Ryan Gomes
SG: Rip Hamilton / Mike Dunleavy
PG: Andre Miller / Steve Blake

That's a darn good lineup.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My team will be champ.
No contest

I don't have every team memorized, but I'm very impressed with Orlando.  To me, they're the favorites to come out of the East, and probably to win the whole thing.

The funny thing is that from our rosters from the summer league, that team is a 2nd round exit, easy.

Just goes to show you how terrible some keepers were and how important draft position is.

That in mind,

Devin Harris,
Thabo Sefelosha
Omri Casspi
Luis Scola
and Big Bad
Brook Lopez

ain't scared.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
My team will be champ.
No contest

The funny thing is that from our rosters from the summer league, that team is a 2nd round exit, easy.

Just goes to show you how terrible some keepers were and how important draft position is.

That in mind,

Devin Harris,
Thabo Sefelosha
Omri Casspi
Luis Scola
and Big Bad
Brook Lopez

ain't scared.

you shouldnt then I will be more happy when you be crushed.
 ;D
I cant beleive I was able to pick my guy in almost every single round
picks like Gomes, Dunleavy and The trade for artest was just too good to be true in that moment.
tha only thing i miss is not having that super ZAZA behind Dwight
but I am happy with Najera and kurt thomas and next year forter can take care.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

UPDATE:

The "New Look" NEW YORK KNICKS  :
PLamb - General Manager

Starting Five:                           PPG                 Salary                  RB/G           APG          Efficiency:   

C   -  Nene Hilario                   13.8         $10,520,000.00          7.8              2.3             +19.55
PF -  Zach Randolph              20.5         $16,000,000.00        11.5              2.1             +23.98
SF -  Grant Hill                         11.3         $  3,000,000.00          5.4               2.2             +13.43
SG - Ray Allen                         16.1         $18,776,860.00          3.5               2.8             +14.40
PG - George Hill                     11.1         $  1,081,680.00           2.2               2.3             +10.59

Bench:

PF  - Kenyon Martin               12.3          $15,852,511.00         9.4                2.0               +17.21
SF  - Matt Barnes                     8.5          $  1,600,000.00          5.6               1.7                +11.12
SG - Anthony Parker               7.1          $  6,031,800.00           2.8               1.6                +  8.13
PG - Ty Lawson                       9.5          $  1,438,680.00          2.1               3.4                +10.70
PF - Jon Brockman                 3.0           $    457,588.00          4.6                0.5              +  12.48

Alternates:

SG - Quentin Richardson      8.2          $  8,700,000.00          4.5               1.2                +  9.71
PF - Dante Cunningham       4.3          $      457,588.00           2.7               0.2               +14.84
SG - Kyle Weaver                    5.3           $     870,968.00           2.4               1.8              + 10.19

Overseas Assets:

C - Nikola Pekovic

Total budget so far:                              $84,787,675.00

First, let me acknowledge that all of the above could not have been done without the work of Mr. Bahku, much Tommy Point love goes your way

So having to start with the Knicks, my Pick 2 players were David Lee and Danilo Gallinari but I kept both with the intentions of trading both since neither are very good defensive players and I believe true good basketball teams must be able to play defense and rebound.

To start the draft I knew I needed to draft a go to player since the Knicks didn't have one and I never figured I would be able to trade for one given my assets, hence my pick of Zach Randolph. Now I know most here have very little respect for his game, his reputation or what he is currently doing in Memphis, but from all reports he has put effort into his defense since his time in LA and is passing out of double teams and doing very well in a winning atmosphere. His team mates like and respect him in Memphis and he has been their go to guy all year.

Trades allowed me to eventually surround the defensively deficient, Randolph, in the rotation with defensive big men Nene Hilario and Kenyon Martin. That they play together in Denver and are such an effective combo together was a factor in my pairing them together once again.

From there I chose Ray Allen, who I believed to be the best SG available at the time of his being picked and Ty Lawson. Some may question the Lawson pick as being too early but I wanted him desperately since I truly believe that he will be a great PG in the coming years. There is very little this kid doesn't do outstanding and he has that great leadership capability that I love in PGs.

Once I decided to go with a young PG, and followed that up with another young defensively oriented PG who could score in George Hill, the decision to stick with great ball handling, veteran wings in Grant Hill and Ray Allen was easy. They may have years on them but both are still top notch players at their positions that can score, handle the ball, create their own shot and create shots for others while giving a great effort on defense.

I rounded the rotational bench out with excellent role players in Matt Barnes, Quentin Richardson and Anthony Parker, all players that can play good defense, shoot the three and bring a veteran presence.

After that it was time to choose promising young talent to use as a core for bench players in the future and to possibly develop into mid level starters. I am really excited to have been able to draft Jon Brockman, a very promising, energy rebounding PF, Dante Cunningham, a small PF with the ability to pick and pop a very effective mid range jumper, Kyle Weaver, an impressive defensive SG that is out for the year but will return and has shown potential to be a great shooter and Nikola Pekovic, a huge center prospect from Serbia with a very good low post game and loads of potential.

These Pick 2 Knicks will be in a win now mode for a couple years at which point Lawson, Hill, Weaver, Pekovic, Brockman and Cunningham will be the core to which I can add a couple of max level free agents and first round draft picks.

Worst case scenario I think these Knicks are a bit below .500 on the end of the lottery because Randolph isn't the go to guy I think he is and because Allen and Hill are to old to guard their positions adequately and the young PGs aren't ready yet.

Best case scenario this team could blend very well with young PGs maturing into their roles, Ray and Grant proving to be great veteran leaders and efficient scorers on the court, Randolph excelling in his go to role and the rest coming together for a run deep into the playoffs.

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Are we using this trade instead of the previous one to discuss the teams now?

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

2 things..

1) Yes.

2) I believe the word you were looking for was thread. Seems like everyone has a little deadline hangover.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

2 things..

1) Yes.

2) I believe the word you were looking for was thread. Seems like everyone has a little deadline hangover.
Haha, oh my, must need a break!