Author Topic: what if free throw didn't interrupt the game?  (Read 9335 times)

Re: what if free throw didn't interrupt the game?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Interesting idea, but I don't know that I'd be onboard -- and I'm 100% sure the NBA would never do this.

From a player's perspective, how many nights has a player's shot been off, and is instantly cured with a trip to the FT line?

What would be interesting would be eliminating FT's entirely and completely re-vamping the system.

Perhaps automatically awarding 2 points to the opposing team/foul when over the FT limit -- perhaps jack that up to 10.

It makes the prospect of fouling much more risky -- although it eliminates the "foul the bad shooter at the end of the game" strategy.

I dont know if Im alone here but I dont mind the free throws! I dont like when refs take over games, but clutch free throws are really intriguing to me. They are supposed to be gimmees but if the game's on the line...watch every player's percentage drop. It is one of the purest tests of "clutchness" that we have in sports.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
No offense, but what are you talking about when you say FTs interrupt games? You mean when they're a ton of fouls for 60 FTs? If so, you want us to see that at the end of a game?

No thanks.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I was thinking something similar to this idea as well.  But to make it interesting, I think it would have to be timed and you would have to shoot alongside each other with 2 baskets.

Now say Team A is ahead by 13 Points at the end of regulation.  And lets say that Team A has 11 foul shots to shoot at the end of the game while Team B, trailing by 13 points, has been awarded 27 foul shots.  Now team B has a very good shot to win this game if Team A misses a few of their shots.  Now to make it even more interesting, the 2 guys shooting the free throws would be chosen out of a hat. 

Now this is where it could get fun.  With the 2 players shooting the free throws, which they all have to be shot in a certain amount of time, at baskets side by side, have the option to waste some of their free throws to try and block the other player from making their shots by attempting to throw their ball at the opposing players shots.  Sure this could be risky, but it also could prevent a team from winning. 

To make this challenge a bit harder, players and coaches would be able to stand around the players shooting, at an acceptable distance, say 3-5 feet and make noise.  The noise could be generated from nearly anything.  I would say a Kazoo or maybe a whistle.  Those 2 noises get very irritating after such a short while.  Players of opposing teams would also be able to stand behind the basket and make faces at the opposing shooter as well.  However, no mooning or nipple exposure would be deemed acceptable. 

Now Lets say the players finished in a Tie.  This is where it could get dicey.  Again a redraw would have to take place of who would participate next.  The chosen players would have to be involved in a hot dog eating contest followed by a 1 mile run.  The players would have to consume 20 hot dogs, bun and all, with all the fixings, which must include, Ketchup, Mustard(spicy is preferred) relish, Chili(if agreed upon by both contestants) peppers, onions, sauerkraut, and such.  After consuming this minimal amount of 'dogs, they must run the mile as fast as they can.  To make it even more competitive the players must not throw up any of their 'dogs, if they do, they will be assessed a 5 second penalty, which could be detrimental to their playoff seeding!

Now there we have it.  This would revolutionize basketball as we see it today. 

What is David Sterns Cell Phone Number, I need to pitch this.

Pass whatever you took before you made this idea, please. :)

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'll have what he's having.

And...um, no.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Interesting idea, but I don't know that I'd be onboard -- and I'm 100% sure the NBA would never do this.

From a player's perspective, how many nights has a player's shot been off, and is instantly cured with a trip to the FT line?

What would be interesting would be eliminating FT's entirely and completely re-vamping the system.

Perhaps automatically awarding 2 points to the opposing team/foul when over the FT limit -- perhaps jack that up to 10.

It makes the prospect of fouling much more risky -- although it eliminates the "foul the bad shooter at the end of the game" strategy.

I dont know if Im alone here but I dont mind the free throws! I dont like when refs take over games, but clutch free throws are really intriguing to me. They are supposed to be gimmees but if the game's on the line...watch every player's percentage drop. It is one of the purest tests of "clutchness" that we have in sports.

I'm not against FT's - and I wouldn't prefer them to be removed from the NBA (it'd be like removing Field Goals from Football).

But it's always fun to play the "What If" game...

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Obviously this would never happen, but hey, fun to throw around ideas!

What if for 3 quarters, a shooting foul counted like goal tending? that would speed the game along and discourage fouling.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Obviously this would never happen, but hey, fun to throw around ideas!

What if for 3 quarters, a shooting foul counted like goal tending? that would speed the game along and discourage fouling.

Another interesting idea.  Could even be "one point and the ball back" instead of two points.  Downside is that you hate seeing points actually PUT on the board by the refs.  Now, they call the foul, but you still have to hit the shot; it's a little different dynamic when the refs directly add to the score.