Author Topic: what if free throw didn't interrupt the game?  (Read 9339 times)

what if free throw didn't interrupt the game?
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »

Offline pumpfake

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
how would it affect the game if?

rather than stop the game for every free throw, have each player take his earned free throws at the end of the game.

pros:
   the game would speed up
   free throws would become more entertaining
   it would become a "shoot out" like atmosphere, complete with a new set of strategies. (though in some cases the outcome would be predetermined)
   fans can enjoy the game without having to watch free throws.

cons:
   may eliminate thrill of buzzer beaters.
   reduces opportunity for offensive rebounds.
   actual score is not known.
   players would get less rest during game.
   fans would be less likely to watch this portion of the game; would have fewer opportunities to run to the fridge for a snack...

-

buzzer beaters wouldn't necessarily decide the game anymore, but it may be worth it since these are so rare and free throws are so frequent.

since the actual score is not known, it may become a strategy, trying to predict the outcome based on the earned free throws.

Re: what if free throw didn't interrupt the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

rather than stop the game for every free throw, have each player take his earned free throws at the end of the game.

pros:
   the game would speed up
   it would become a "shoot out" like atmosphere, complete with a new set of strategies. (though in some cases the outcome would be predetermined)

cons:
   fans would be less likely to watch this portion of the game; would have fewer opportunities to run to the fridge for a snack...

-

buzzer beaters wouldn't necessarily decide the game anymore, but it may be worth it since these are so rare and free throws are so frequent.

since the actual score is not known, it may become a strategy, trying to predict the outcome based on the earned free throws.

I would like to see the ball increased in weight from 20 oz or so, to 5+ pound.  This would eliminate the palming or carrying violations, and reduce the number of 3-point shots launched.

Imagine a league where the only guys capable of shooting a 3-pointer would be Shaq or Dwight Howard.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

pros:
   the game would speed up

cons:

-

Interesting concept.  Not sure I would adopt it but I think you may be wrong about eliminating buzzer beaters.  Consider this, on most nights in the NBA, the many of losing teams lose by a margin less or equal to the number of free throws they missed.  Happens quite frequently.  In your proposal, if a team is up by a certain amount going into the end of the game and it knows a bucket can increase their lead higher than the free throw differential the teams have earned during the game, I would think there'd be a lot of "buzzer beater" shots to eliminate any potential comebacks by the other team.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
So if i get this right after the 48(or 40mins) of play we`ll have to watch 50-60 free throws ?

it sounds boring.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:32:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This would turn the regular game into something that merely set the terms for the free throw contest that would actually decide the game.

::)

Not a good idea.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Pretty cool outside the box idea. Although i do not see the TV viewing audience to adopt this.

Maybe break it up into the end of each quarter they shoot the accumulated free throws.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
sometimes a couple of free throws can be a momentum changer?

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
rebounding stats would go down considerably

maybe do your idea at end of each quarter instead of lumping them all at the end of the game.

Sitting through 50 or 60 free throws would not quite have the excitement of a hockey shootout.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The game would speed up right until they start shooting all those free throws.  You wouldn't really save much time, as I'm sure there would be 10 minutes to figure out who is shooting free throws.    

However I do like it for Football, only its the field goals that they would kick at the end of the game.  

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The game would speed up right until they start shooting all those free throws.  You wouldn't really save much time, as I'm sure there would be 10 minutes to figure out who is shooting free throws.    

However I do like it for Football, only its the field goals that they would kick at the end of the game.  

figuring out who's shooting what wouldn't be so difficult, as long as they let players lump all of their shots together

what about techs?
Yup

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
I was thinking something similar to this idea as well.  But to make it interesting, I think it would have to be timed and you would have to shoot alongside each other with 2 baskets.

Now say Team A is ahead by 13 Points at the end of regulation.  And lets say that Team A has 11 foul shots to shoot at the end of the game while Team B, trailing by 13 points, has been awarded 27 foul shots.  Now team B has a very good shot to win this game if Team A misses a few of their shots.  Now to make it even more interesting, the 2 guys shooting the free throws would be chosen out of a hat. 

Now this is where it could get fun.  With the 2 players shooting the free throws, which they all have to be shot in a certain amount of time, at baskets side by side, have the option to waste some of their free throws to try and block the other player from making their shots by attempting to throw their ball at the opposing players shots.  Sure this could be risky, but it also could prevent a team from winning. 

To make this challenge a bit harder, players and coaches would be able to stand around the players shooting, at an acceptable distance, say 3-5 feet and make noise.  The noise could be generated from nearly anything.  I would say a Kazoo or maybe a whistle.  Those 2 noises get very irritating after such a short while.  Players of opposing teams would also be able to stand behind the basket and make faces at the opposing shooter as well.  However, no mooning or nipple exposure would be deemed acceptable. 

Now Lets say the players finished in a Tie.  This is where it could get dicey.  Again a redraw would have to take place of who would participate next.  The chosen players would have to be involved in a hot dog eating contest followed by a 1 mile run.  The players would have to consume 20 hot dogs, bun and all, with all the fixings, which must include, Ketchup, Mustard(spicy is preferred) relish, Chili(if agreed upon by both contestants) peppers, onions, sauerkraut, and such.  After consuming this minimal amount of 'dogs, they must run the mile as fast as they can.  To make it even more competitive the players must not throw up any of their 'dogs, if they do, they will be assessed a 5 second penalty, which could be detrimental to their playoff seeding!

Now there we have it.  This would revolutionize basketball as we see it today. 

What is David Sterns Cell Phone Number, I need to pitch this.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
how about counting assists for guys who set up someone who is fouled and hits their FT's...we could add in half assists if a guy makes 1 of 2... I've always felt guys got robbed on this
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I didnt even think about how drastically this would alter free throw shooting percentages and thus scoring. Everyone who has ever played basketball knows how much tired legs affect free throws. If this went into effect players would have time to rest and gather themselves. On top of that they could get into a rythym and sink shots alot easier. In this system I will go on a imb and predict Shaq would be a 75% FT shooter.

Ray would be up around 98-99%

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Interesting idea, but I don't know that I'd be onboard -- and I'm 100% sure the NBA would never do this.

From a player's perspective, how many nights has a player's shot been off, and is instantly cured with a trip to the FT line?

What would be interesting would be eliminating FT's entirely and completely re-vamping the system.

Perhaps automatically awarding 2 points to the opposing team/foul when over the FT limit -- perhaps jack that up to 10.

It makes the prospect of fouling much more risky -- although it eliminates the "foul the bad shooter at the end of the game" strategy.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
LOL at BigDAnz idea. TP

It would be really hard to play while accounting for these free throws. A player would be thinking

"Hmmm, I need to score a lot this quarter because at the end of the game the other team may score twenty points. Oh wait, it's Dwight with most of the FTs, so I only have to score 10. Oh yeah, we have 5 FTs, I only need to score 5. [dang], it's Rondo taking those, back to 10 points. Did Rasheed get a tech? Dang, how many flagrants did we commit?"

Btw who gets the ball after a player is fouled then? The opposing team? Just seems weird that you'll not really serve an immediate penalty for fouling someone (I know you get a PF added to your total, but it just wouldn't feel right).