Author Topic: Best Cover Songs of All Time  (Read 30185 times)

Re: Best Cover Songs of All Time
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Any Maiden fans out there?

Maiden's covers of Tull's "Cross-Eyed Mary" and Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" are better than the original versions, hands down. Absolutely killer.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »

Offline canman1971

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Foo Fighters do Floyd's "Have a Cigar." It rocks. 

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Nice topic

heres from lsit after list.com

just for the record my sentimentals one are from Metallica too.

A list of some of the best remakes in recent history, in no particular order. Which is your favorite? Do you know a good one not on this list?

1.  Fiona Apple "Across The Universe" (originally by The Beatles): Fiona does Lennon proud with her wispy, sensual vocals and sweeping instrumentals. It feels as though she captured what Lennon was originally aiming for, which, considering that he might be the best songwriter of all time, is tough to do. Whenever I hear the Beatles version, it always feels slightly unfinished to me after hearing this one.
2.  Nirvana "The Man Who Sold The World" (originally by David Bowie): Kurt Cobain is the perfect guy to cover this strange trip. Bowie's tall vocals make it sound a bit creepy, whereas Cobain takes the edge off with darker vocals and plinky guitar. I believe the only version of this is live, proving that Nirvana is just as good unplugged as they are in studio. It's not even that they can play their instruments remarkably; it's amazing to see how a few guys can captivate an audience with their words and their understated appeal. Bravo.
3.  Johnny Cash "Hurt" (originally by Nine Inch Nails): Cash's version is exponentially more tragic than the first, and I mean that in the best way possible. Listening to the vocals of a former addict, or simply as an old man at the end of his life, singing 'I will let you down, I will make you hurt" gives me chills. Plus, it shows that there are still modern classics embedded in our generation. This is a song so good I can't even listen to it that often.
4.  Pennywise "Stand By Me" (originally by Ben E. King): I know, I know, a punk cover? Give this one a chance. The original was so good it's hard to go wrong, and hearing it turned into a fun, fast punk-anthem hints that maybe not much has changed since the golden days of the 60's. This song still strikes a chord with anyone whose ever wanted a hand to hold as they walked home. It's nice to see a band put their own spin on a cover while still staying true to the original aura.
5.  Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" (originally by Dolly Parton): Don't even pretend you don't sing along to this whenever it comes on! You'd only be lying to yourself! Everyone knows this is pop music perfection, but many people might not know that Dolly Parton wrote and performed the original version in 1974. Houston's voice dominates this gem, making it one of the most memorable vocal performances in recent history.
6.  Jimi Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" (originally by Bob Dylan): Dylan is the king of songwriting, but the fact is he's not as great of a vocalist. And we all know no one can play guitar like Jimi Hendrix, so combining these two only makes sense. On one of the most covered songs ever (including a noteworthy version by Dave Matthews Band much later), Hendrix makes it his own with his sultry voice and smooth guitar. Dylan's version sounds a bit raw, whereas the Hendrix version sounds soulful and sweeping without being overproduced. "And the wind began to howl...."
7.  The White Stripes "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" (originally by Dusty Springfield): Probably the best rock cover you've never heard. Jack White adds a garage-rock flavor without dumbing it down; on the contrary, this version is more emotionally charged. The crashing guitar over the needful lyrics, the soft-low dynamic, and even the way Jack pushes the words from his lips, all conspire to make this an awe-inspiring cover, or simply an amazing song.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Great topic

Close to me (The Cure) - by the Get Up Kids
One Tin Soldier - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
Hey Ya - Obadiah Parker(my fiance and I are seriously considering using this cover for our first dance)

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I could be wrong on this Chris, but I think suprisingly, "Such Great Hearts" is an original and the Iron & Wine version is the cover.

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Some of my faves have already been mentioned: e.g Johnny Cash covering Hurt (Nine Inch Nails), Hendrix covering All Along the Watchtower (Dylan).  More of my favorites:

Rolling Stones' cover of Little Queenie (Chuck Berry) Everyone covers Chuck Berry, but no one does it better than the Stones.

Eva Cassidy's cover of True Colors (Phil Collins) Eva's version of Woodstock isn't too shabby either.

Ratdog's cover of Take Me To the River (Delbert McClinton)

Cheryl Crow's cover of First Cut is the Deepest (Cat Stevens)

Jackson Brown's cover of Stay (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs)

Jaclson Browne's acoustic cover of "Crazy Love" (Van Morrison)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:27:49 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I could be wrong on this Chris, but I think suprisingly, "Such Great Hearts" is an original and the Iron & Wine version is the cover.

Edit: you are correct. I would add the Iron & Wine version to my list though.  I love them both.

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:38 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I love almost everything mentioned... plus Limp Bizkit's covers of "Faith" and "Behind Blue Eyes". I find Faith to be better than the original, and Behind Blue Eyes to be good, nowhere near as good as the original but still very good.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I never cared for Cash's version of Hurt. It was a major disappointment for me after hearing all the hype. Boring.

I am a big fan of Sonic Youth's cover of Superstar. Way better than the original.

Also a fan of the Nirvana Bowie cover.

The Beach Boys' cover of Sloop John B is great, though I don't really know the original. They kinda made it theirs.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I love almost everything mentioned... plus Limp Bizkit's covers of "Faith" and "Behind Blue Eyes". I find Faith to be better than the original, and Behind Blue Eyes to be good, nowhere near as good as the original but still very good.

Fred Durst butchered "Behind Blue Eyes"

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
i also enjoyed johnny cash's cover of "Personal Jesus"

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

Cover songs should be butchered. They would be pointless if they sounded the same as the originals. I like both versions. Limp Bizkit's version is good on some occasions. The Who's is good on other occasions. Same goes for Faith, Come Together, All Along the Watchtower, Smooth Criminal, A Little Help From My Friends, etc. All good songs with good covers.

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Cover songs should be butchered. They would be pointless if they sounded the same as the originals. I like both versions. Limp Bizkit's version is good on some occasions. The Who's is good on other occasions. Same goes for Faith, Come Together, All Along the Watchtower, Smooth Criminal, A Little Help From My Friends, etc. All good songs with good covers.

Nope. The other covers you mentioned took the original songwriters intent and built upon it because they felt they had something to add to that message.  For example Hendrix talked about how he always felt Dylan wrote what Hendrix couldn't articulate and after covering All Along the Watchtower Dylan still won't play any other arrangement than Hendrix's. Behind Blue Eyes is a great song that Fred Durst cut the balls off of.

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Nope. The other covers you mentioned took the original songwriters intent and built upon it because they felt they had something to add to that message.  For example Hendrix talked about how he always felt Dylan wrote what Hendrix couldn't articulate and after covering All Along the Watchtower Dylan still won't play any other arrangement than Hendrix's. Behind Blue Eyes is a great song that Fred Durst cut the balls off of.

Fred Durst is the biggest tool in the world.

"I did it all for the nookie , so you can take that cookie"

some great song writing there   ::)

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

Once again, I like one on some occasions, I like the other on other occasions. I don't see what the problem is with that. I don't have to be loyal to one song. They're both good in my opinion, and you are also giving your opinion. Stop stating your opinions like they are facts.