Author Topic: Time To Step Up, Big Three  (Read 2116 times)

Time To Step Up, Big Three
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I couldn't watch the game live last night, or the 2AM replay, so I had to watch the noon re-broadcast on CSNNE, and while I did so, I had a moment of deja vu. The last few games, even the ones that we won, were missing something ... something that was missing during a similar period last year, and at first it eluded me. After a while the realization of what has been happening and it's relation to last season began to solidify in my mind, (and trust me, there's not a heck-of-alot that solidifies up there these days).

This team is missing it's "Superstars", and I don't mean that they haven't been playing, just that they haven't been playing like the superstars and leaders that they are and that we expect them to be. None of the "Big Three" have really stepped up and put their imprint on a game yet, and they need to. "Stepping up" and taking over a game is what we pay them for, it's what a superstar is expected to do, even required to do, especially when up against a wall, or in a close game when a clutch play is needed, and we've had many of those. They haven't done it yet, and it's time.

Maybe they've bought into the "team concept" so deeply, that they've forgotten that they're individual players, with special talents, and more importantly, special and unique motivational abilities. Don't get me worng, I LOVE the team spirit and coordination that this group has ... it's really quite special, and is a rare thing to see these days. But being a "star" means that you're a very special part of this unit, a part unto itself, that has the incredible elements required to dominate a game, and provide the leadership and spark needed to give the rest of the team direction and confidence.

No matter how closely "We Not Me" is followed and made the focus of your team's energies, someone still needs to LEAD ... someone has to step up and set the standard, provide direction, and instill CONFIDENCE into the rest. I think they may have forgotten this just a bit, in their, (quite admirable), efforts to produce a true, functioning, cohesive UNIT. Of all the elements that went into these past two losses, that seems to me to have been the common threads: lack of leadership, direction and confidence ... the things that we look to a superstar to provide.

We've got three-plus guys who have these qualities, and it seems like each one is waiting for one of the others to make the move. The waiting's over ... at least one of them has got to be "the man" ... whatever that means or however it's defined. One of our stars needs to be just that: a STAR. One of these amazingly talented athletes, who have spent the majority of the regular season proving that they can be part of a successful team, now needs to prove that they can be the star we hired them to be ... the leader that this unit is begging and poised to rally behind. They need to set the standard, instill the confidence, and light the way to the championship they've worked so hard to attain.

I absolutely love "Ubuntu" and the "We not me" approach ... I am probably one of the biggest proponents of the team ethic, and the power of a cohesive functioning "posse". But the time has come, for the sake of themselves and their team-mates, for one or more of our heroes to take on that mantle ... to be the superstar that we believe in, that their team believes in, and show us all the path to success. The team is there, behind them, and there's no longer a need to focus on that unit exclusively ... they'll be ready, to back them up and provide the meat to this victory sandwhich.

It's time for one or more of our champions to prove that they're worthy of that very moniker. It's time to be the leader, the star, the hero, and the ultimate warrior.

It's TIME ... time to put the "I" in "UNIT".

Go Celtics!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:12:36 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Time To Step Up, Big Three
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Interesting point, but I am growing more unconvinced by the game that it's even possible.

As an ex-coach, I see several glaring examples of phsyical deficits on this club that make winning difficult, if not impossible: Garnett’s inability to move laterally, Pierce’s stark loss of mobility, legs that are no longer there on Allen’s shot. It’s all well and good to proclaim those the result of injury that will rectify itself. I hope that’s right, but I think that any Internet poster who makes those kind of grandiose predictions is hoping, rather than knowing.

The same goes for those who want to dismiss this club’s struggles as mental; I just don’t see the evidence supporting that conclusion at all. This club fades as soon as the opponent begins to identify and exploit the clear and ever-present phyiscal deficits that exist in this club on the floor. When the runs come, the Celtics are so grossly short of the athleticism required to answer them - for a variety of reasons - that games get away.

Quite frankly, it’s just not a given that we’re all going to wake up some March morning and these deficits are all gone. It’s much more likely that more will develop as injuries mount.

God bless the optimists. I hope you’re right. I just think the odds are heavily stacked against you. I don't honestly see any simple solutions to this club's problems - I see more injuries, more physical deficits and an early playoff exit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:17:29 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
yeah, I think KG specifically needs to be that defensive beast that he was two years ago.  call me an optimist, i just don't think it's that much of a stretch to think the guy can get healthier as the season goes on.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:05:47 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The thing is as I don't think they are capable right now of stepping up because of age, injuries or fatigue. Maybe they can get it together by the postseason but not right now.

Which is my problem with Doc these days. He's practically putting them in a position to fail by asking them to do the same things they did before. Playing heavy minutes, throwing the ball to KG and clearing out when he's not getting double teamed and expecting him to be the team defender he was before, letting Pierce iso on one leg, not adjusting to Ray shooting career low from 3 but shooting above average from the field.

The sooner the coaches recognize that and work on getting the most out of our current team instead of working with imaginary strengths from 2008 the better.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Time to do it, boyz!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
They aren't superstars anymore.  Only one of them could really be called a "star" on most nights.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers