Author Topic: Celtics (32-17) at Hornets (27-25) 2/10  (Read 86723 times)

Celtics (32-17) at Hornets (27-25) 2/10
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Boston Celtics (32-17) at New Orleans Hornets (27-25)  
Wednesday, February 10
8:00 PM ET
Game #50, Road Game # 26
TV: NBA-TV,  CST, CSN NE, RTV
New Orleans Arena

Located in the Big Easy, the New Orleans Hornets returned to the New Orleans Arena permanently this season for the first time since the 2004-05 season. In the mid 1990s, the city decided to build a new arena adjacent to the New Orleans Superdome. Constructed at a cost of $84 million, the octagonal shaped building was completed in 1999. The first game played at the New Orleans Arena was a hockey game on October 29, 1999. NBA basketball returned to the city permanently when the Hornets moved to New Orleans and played their first game at the New Orleans Arena October 30, 2002. Although the building was less than five years old, the city spent $10 million upgrading the New Orleans Arena for the Hornets. Locker rooms were upgrade, additional luxury suites were added, and a courtside restaurant and team store were built. Because of the devastating events of Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, the Hornets moved their basketball operations to Oklahoma City and the Ford Center where they played the majority of their games for the next two seasons. Several games were held in New Orleans during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons to show the team’s commitment to playing in the city. The New Orleans Arena suffered little structural damage after the hurricane because of its arched reinforced steel and concrete roof. The Hornets returned to New Orleans permanently for the 2007-08 season and the city hosted the 2008 NBA All-Star Game.

ProbableStarters
PG SG  SF PF C
Rajon Rondo/  Ray Allen/  Paul Pierce/  Kevin Garnett/  Kendrick Perkins

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Marquis Daniels
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Tony Allen
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis
Bill Walker

Injuries
JR Giddens (knee)  out
Paul Pierce (foot)  questionable  

PGSG SF PF C
Darren Collison/ Mo Peterson/ Peja Stojakovic/ David West/ Emeka Okafor

Reserves
Julian Wright
Hilton Armstrong
James Posey
Darius Songalia
Jason Hart
Aaron Gray
Sean Marks

Injuries
Ike Diogu (knee) out
Chris Paul (knee) out
Marcus Thornton (back) questionable

Team Connections
 Hilton Armstrong, Emeka Okafor and Ray Allen are all former UConn Huskies
Julian Wright and Paul Pierce are former Kansas Jayhawks
Hornets Assistant Coach Paul Pressey was an assistant coach with the Celtics from 2004-06
Brian Scalabrine was coached by Byron Scott in New Jersey from 2001-05
Peja Stojakovic and Eddie House were teammates in Sacramento during the 2004-05 season
James Posey played for the Celtics  during the 2007-08 season
Ike Diogu and Eddie House are former Arizona State Sun Devils
ke Diogu and Marquis Daniels were teammates in Indiana from 2006-08

vs  
Kevin Garnett  vs David West  
West is often the focal point of the Hornets offense without Chris Paul in the lineup and KG's defense will be needed in this game to try to keep him from going off on the Celtics.  

vs  
Paul Pierce (or Tony Allen) vs Peja Stojakovic
Paul Pierce is questionable for this game, but I expect him to play because if he sits out, then Doc will probably recommend that he sit out the All Star game and 3 point contest.  If by some miracle Doc gets Pierce to sit, Tony Allen will be guarding Stojakovic, who is deadly from beyond the arc.  Whoever guards him must stay on him to prevent a 3 point barrage.  

Honorable Mention
vs
Marquis Daniels vs James Posey
Past 6th man vs current 6th man.  In his first game back from the thumb injury, Marquis looked great and the bench very much needs his leadership and energy.

Game Notes
• The Celtics are currently leading the season series 1-0; Celtics swept the season series 2-0 against New Orleans in 2008-09
• Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 29.0 points per game last season
• David West led the Hornets with 19.0 points per game against the Celtics last season
• The Celtics are 8-3 against the Hornets since the 2004-05 season
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 41-31 with the Celtics 20-16 at home

The Hornets are missing their best player and play maker as Chris Paul is out with the knee injury.    The matchup between CP3 and Rondo was always a fun one to watch but Rondo should have a much easier time going against Darren Collison.  

The Hornets started the season with high expectations but chemistry problems and injuries have derailed their season and continue to do so with the most recent injury to Chris Paul.  The same can be said of the Celtics this season as they are trying to right the ship after several very disappointing losses.  

Both of these teams are 5-5 in their last 10 games. The Celtics have won 3 of their last 4 games but are coming off a heartbreaking loss where they gave up an 11 point half time lead and completely collapsed in the 3rd quarter.  The Hornets are also coming off a loss to the Magic.  The Celtics are 17-8 on the road while the Hornets are 16-8 at home.

The Celtics are desperately seeking answers for their recent slide and need to start winning if they want to keep their hopes of Banner 18 this season alive.  This game is a good place to start a new win streak.  

Keys to the Game
Defense  The Celtics problems stem from their departure from playing tough team defense.  They have been allowing too many easy baskets.  When they lose defensive focus,  they seem to unravel.  They must get back to focusing on being the best defensive team in the league.  

Play 48 Minutes  The Celtics seem to play well for 3 quarters but they have one quarter in which they can do absolutely nothing.  They must keep their focus for all 4 quarters.  

Run the Offense  The Celtics have to keep their focus on running the offense,  making the extra pass and finding the open man.  Individuals won't win games.  Team will.  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:56:18 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (32-17) at Hornets (27-25) 2/10
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:18:54 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Oh my. I don't know what to expect anymore...  ??? :'(

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:26:20 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I expect a win.  Staying positive.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:28:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Looking at his recent stats while filling in for Chris Paul, I think the key matchup for this game will actually be Rondo vs. Collison.

Nelson and Williams aren't great defenders, but Collison put up 27 points against the Magic last game.  He also got 9 assists, a couple steals and a few rebounds.  Collison is a fast point guard, so if Rondo allows him to blow past him and tries to go for the steal (as he is wont to do) then he may get burned, especially since this team's help defense hasn't been so great lately.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP FL!

Well... let's hope we get a win, of course, but also a convincing win, i.e, if we get a big lead, we have to sustain it and even extend it through the 3rd and 4th quarters.

I think that the last collapse in date and Doc's criticism will finally put this team's mentality back on track. At least, I hope so... but tonight will be a very interesting game in that regard. The Hornets are not to be taken lightly, they have beat some good teams without Chris Paul.

Definitely looking forward to the 2nd unit, hoping to see Marquis play big minutes and Sheed making a "redemption" game. After 3 days of rest, I also think Ray will be a killer tonight.

Let's go C's!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
boston will take a nice lead into the 3rd quarter. i hope they can hold it tonight

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Bad officiating Alert:    Dick Bavetta is one of tonight's referees.   The other two are Eric Dalen and Michael Smith   I really don't like Bavetta officated games.  He seems to always have some kind of agenda, even if it is just to be the center of attention! 

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
First game i actually get to watch during the week in a long time, due to snow day for NESL.

Please play a good game guys...
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I have a bad feeling about this game.. :-[ Perhaps the end of an Era begins tonight.. Really hoping i am wrong guys but I have a feeling this might be a heart breaker.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I have a bad feeling about this game.. :-[ Perhaps the end of an Era begins tonight.. Really hoping i am wrong guys but I have a feeling this might be a heart breaker.

meh..i pretty much feel this way before every game now unfortunately

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

Begining of a new win streak. Go Celts!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »

Offline UGotRondod

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
Nice work FL.  I really like those little history lessons on the arena the team is visiting.  TP for you.

I also do not enjoy Dick Bavetta games.  I can't decide if him or Bennett is worse.  They make it very frustrating to watch.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 03:38:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

meh..i pretty much feel this way before every game now unfortunately

ya bunch of debbie downers j/k :D

although, if we don't rebound and play defense tonight, after doc and the players pretty much said that they have made that a point tonight...I don't know what to think.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I want to see Doc bench Sheed
 as soon as the ball gets stuck in his hand...as he promised to do to anyone who didnt move the ball

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
end of an era..lol..

if so sure is a nice ride and we still got more country to see..