Author Topic: Not worth it watching the Celtics anymore.  (Read 8269 times)

Not worth it watching the Celtics anymore.
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »

Offline afflatus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
Tonight was the last straw.

I don't wanna give up on the Celtics but this is too much and is not worth it anymore.

Over the last year or so...

I can't sleep every time they lose.

My anxiety goes up before and during games that my psychiatrist had to give me ****.

I have cursed my wife with every four letter word every time she tells me it's "just a game".

4 times my wife has left the house with the Children and stayed in a hotel overnight.

Numerous times I have made my Children cry by cussing at after a bad loss.

I've suffered deep depressions after losses that I have to take Zoloft.

I don't wanna sound like a fair weather fan. I don't want to be a fair weather fan.

Anyone going through the same thing? If yes, How do you handle it?

Re: Not worth it watching the Celtics anymore.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
if all that's true, then yup, I'd say it's time for you to find a new pastime.

I prefer to take my anger out on kittens.  ;)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »

Offline drkalloch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13

I don't wanna give up on the Celtics but this is too much and is not worth it anymore.

My anxiety goes up before and during games that my psychiatrist had to give me ****.

I have cursed my wife with every four letter word every time she tells me it's "just a game".

4 times my wife has left the house with the Children and stayed in a hotel overnight.

I don't wanna sound like a fair weather fan. I don't want to be a fair weather fan.

If any of the above is, in fact, true, I wholeheartedly support your decision not to watch the games and follow the team.
TheKMan.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Danny Ainge probably has less anxiety about the team and he had a heart attack last year.

Of course, some people get heart attacks and some people give them. Sounds like your wife is putting you in the latter category.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
It's always hard watching a team with so much talent losing games, but just remember, it could always be worse. 3 years ago we were in the midsts of an 18 game losing streak. Since then we've won a championship. That's something to be happy about.

The season is barely half way over. There is still hope my friend. Stick in there.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You might want to take up a hobby.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That's at least two kitten references tonight.  I'm beginning to think you're serious.  :D

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I don't know, man.  It's tough being that emotionally invested in something that you have no control of.  If sports is affecting your enjoyment of other aspects of your life and causing issues with your family, it's probably time to take a few months off, at least until the Celts find their stride.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
You put too much into the Celtics. Your not a fair weather fan for realizing that some things matter more than the Celtics. Take a break from the team and check back every once in a while. If they end up winning cool, if not you save yourself a lot of frustration.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

That's at least two kitten references tonight.  I'm beginning to think you're serious.  :D

Just aiming for consistency.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

No, it is not worth watching the Celtics if it is causing you to do this.  I say you should take a break from watching the C's and any other teams that may make you go through this and step back and enjoy and take care of the things that are most important in life like your family, friends, and your own health which seem to be suffering from watching the C's...

And if you do decide to continue watching Celtics games and they lose, right after the game think of this, think of all the great things you have in your life in your family, friends, getting to live in such a great country, and just think of how you aren't any of the people living in Haiti right now, living in extreme poverty like some people are in other countries, and that you have a wife family and friends.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

Offline anniexingyan

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 2
I have the same problem. I am currently living in the UK. I try to catch up with as many games as possible because I know there are not many years left to watch the Big 3 (esp. KG, who has been such an inspiration in my life). By the time I finish games, it is normally by 4am.

Losing has given me a lot of nightmares and my sleeping quality has suffered (needless to say the quantity--I have lectures by 9am every morning and I need to get up by 8). My mood is dependent on the win/loss of the C and I spend a lot of time posting in the forum, expressing my anger and disappointments for those losses due to faults in execution or strategies.

I have made a decision today I shouldn't be spending so much time on the Cs. I like the Celtics and KG but I should be the one that has control of my life. My happiness should not depend on things that I have no control with. And I can make the time a lot more wisely--more sleep, more rest, more study to boost my GPA and a lot of other wonderful, meaningful things that watching a game and getting angry.

We should all support the Cs from our deep heart, not necessarily by following any single second when any Celtics player is playing on court.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

in the end, ur wife is right, it IS just a game!  im as big of a celtics fan as there is.  watching every game for basically my entire life (im in my 30s), having celtics tattoos, and paying $$$$ for season tickets.......but my love and devotion to the celtics cant compare to my family.

with all due respect......it time to take a step back and put things into perspective.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
alot of people are in this same boat, including me. i remember when the team was losing (pre-KG/Ray), i was always the biggest Pierce supporter, because alot of people wanted him gone. i was so happy when they won 2 years ago, and to this day, everytime i feel down, i always find clips on Youtube of the Celtics winnin Banner 17.

we should understand that there's more to life than just sports. right now, i'm just happy to be in school, and to have an ok job to pay some bills.   

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

again:

When you love life, life loves you right back