Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28996 times)

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd propose two things, perhaps in lieu of two separate game threads:

1.  The "rah rah" posters should post their rah rah thoughts in the "official" game thread, and try to counter-balance the negative voices you hear.  I miss the days of the Rocky and Karate Kid references in the game thread.  Maybe we could have a new role model here.  I nominate Jack Bauer, although he's kind of old and lame these days, too. (Just kidding. ;))

2.  Report posts that approach the line of baiting / trolling (and this applies regardless of viewpoint, as some of the "positive" folks tread the line on the rules from time to time, as well.)  The staff is going to make cleaning up the game threads a priority, while at the same time attempting to allow everyone to express their views.

Roy, we pulled out Karate Kid last night but it did not work. Actually, I've pulled it out 4-5 times this season and the C's have lost every game. I'm not sure what is going on. I blame it on this:

Just so you know, I warned everyone last year.

;)

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=24935.0

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
 :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
You kiddin me?

EDIT: Wrong thread... really not liking 3 threads about game threads floating around.

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
why must they mess with perfection?

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2010, 08:15:59 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
As somebody who was originally supportive of the two threads, I rescind my original support. This is getting too difficult to juggle between all of these threads. I value the opinions of many posters on CelticsBlog and now have to go back and forth between threads to see what people have to say at the risk of posting an offensive comment in the wrong thread and making other posters mad. I think in the end having multiple threads will just segregate posters and cause some kind of rivalry.

Sorry PLamb, you are one of the posters whose opinion I value. I just no longer support the concept.

Game Threads; the positive/negative discussion.
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »

Kiorrik

I've had about enough of all the complaining. There's a big, huge difference between trolling and being negative. Some people here won't ever post a positive post, and they blatantly call out positive posters to reply. That's trolling & baiting. Seriously. But I'm no mod, so I can't warn people or tell them to stop, so it ends there.

Realizing that I've been known for my positivity, the logical consequence is that I won't be able to defend the above because I belong to the "opposite faction" here. However, if you read my posts, all of them, you'll see that I'm still able to pull off criticism. Some of my posts are definitely on the "dark side". Posts like "Darnit Sheed! Stop shooting from behind the three!" or "Rondo is being way too passive." etc.

My point here being: I do not belong in an "all positive" thread because I'm not "all positive".

Aside from my personal issues with this entire positive / negative thing, there's one more person I'd like to give a shout to; FLCelticsfan.

FLC's game-thread posts are absolutely brilliant. They cost time to make, they are made with an absolute love for the game, and prepared for each and every single game. I for one will not let that go unnoticed. They deserve a bumload of posts, and I'll be there to supply them.

I will not be chased out of the game thread, I'll just choose to ignore posts that I think are solely made of hate, and try not to reply to them at all.

This is my house, and you will not chase me out.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:22:32 AM by Kiorrik »

Re: Game Threads; the positive/negative discussion.
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Really Good Point, Kiorrik.

The Poster PLamb Certainly means well, but I feel just like you...I'll be posting in FLCeltsFan Thread, as well.

PLamb certainly did address a Fact, though...at times it seems like a Torential Downpour of Negativity about our team at times, from certain Posters.

I have not researched this in detail, but it appears that a few posters barely post when Boston have drilled their opponents in the past...and I have been a casual guest here in the Blog since 2007, and officially joined in Oct 09.

So is that Trolling?

These same posters are ever present when Boston is losing or are in close game.

As for me, though..I have/will always be of the mantra that: "Until Someone Defeats The Boston Celtics in the Playoffs or Finals this Year, our Window is Wide Open." That's me. I've already made up my mind to personally visit the Blog of whoever can do this and congratulate their fans.

PLamb with his New Thread just illustrated a Good Point and has spurred some good discussion, I believe.

I have been a Celtics Fan for too long to bury them now. I have seen too many peaks and valleys. We have many more Peaks ahead with this team.

I can't persuade others how to post, but at the same time I look at things differently.

Boston has just proven to me too many times that you can't count them out. My list is way too long of "Improbable Wins, Impossible Comebacks", to count them out.

Nice Post, Kiorrik.

Re: Game Threads; the positive/negative discussion.
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »

Kiorrik

Alright, here it is: I have to note that I see how the intent of that positive game-thread topic thing was very, very good. I just don't agree. I'm not saying it's stupid, I'm just saying I don't think that this is the solution.

Hope you guys understand that :]

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »

Kiorrik

Thanks for putting my post in the right place, Donoghus ;)

Sometimes CB is a bit hard to navigate, with all those categories and subcategories.

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I merged this discussion into the thread in the comment & remarks thread regarding the game threads.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Thank you for the very nice words GreenFaith and yes, Kiorrik, I do understand your point of view and love the way you expressed it

It's much nicer and more understandable than some of the explanations I have gotten and names I have been called for suggesting the idea
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »

Kiorrik

Thank you for the very nice words GreenFaith and yes, Kiorrik, I do understand your point of view and love the way you expressed it

It's much nicer and more understandable than some of the explanations I have gotten and names I have been called for suggesting the idea
Unrelated to the pos/neg thing, but; there's always nay-sayers when you come up with an idea. I guess they sting a bit more if an idea actually has a flaw, but don't worry m8, we all see the good intent ;)

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

Unrelated to the pos/neg thing, but; there's always nay-sayers when you come up with an idea. I guess they sting a bit more if an idea actually has a flaw, but don't worry m8, we all see the good intent ;)
And you know what, I'm cool with that

I don't mind constructive criticism, heck I welcome it

And honestly, I'm glad the mods handled it the way they did

I like the "Pep Rally" thread better than the second game thread idea because it maintains a tradition and allows FLCeltsFan to do what she does(sorry, just read she was a woman and I called her he elsewhere)better than anyone else without having something else to diminish the deed of love that is her great work

One long thread where if people get a little sick of the game thread and need some positive vibes they can come to is a good thing

What's the harm in that, right

What I didn't like was the condescending and insulting way some handled my idea

Not the reasoned, well thought out posts talking about how it could be divisive or send the wrong message about segregation of ideas, those I appreciated and debated with

But some posters were just not nice about the idea or seemed insulted by it

It was never meant that way but was meant as a way to address an issue, bring it to the forefront and come to a mutual community decision as to how to make Celticsblog a better place

If it does nothing more than make those that were making the game threads less enjoyable look in the mirror and say, you know what, maybe I can be different for the betterment of all, then I will have accomplished what I wanted accomplished which was a better place for all
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

Re: Two Game Threads?
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

So, what would people have us do?  I'm officially opening the floor for suggestions.

create a "block" feature, where posters can block reading posts from members they dont like.

Re: Two Game Threads?
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

So, what would people have us do?  I'm officially opening the floor for suggestions.

create a "block" feature, where posters can block reading posts from members they dont like.

Yeah.  Like some have said earlier, the staff just doesn't like that type of feature. 

You will have to continue just using mental blocks by not reading.