Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28965 times)

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd propose two things, perhaps in lieu of two separate game threads:

1.  The "rah rah" posters should post their rah rah thoughts in the "official" game thread, and try to counter-balance the negative voices you hear.  I miss the days of the Rocky and Karate Kid references in the game thread.  Maybe we could have a new role model here.  I nominate Jack Bauer, although he's kind of old and lame these days, too. (Just kidding. ;))

2.  Report posts that approach the line of baiting / trolling (and this applies regardless of viewpoint, as some of the "positive" folks tread the line on the rules from time to time, as well.)  The staff is going to make cleaning up the game threads a priority, while at the same time attempting to allow everyone to express their views.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe an ignore feature could help the more emotional and reactionary folks who struggle to cope with the more harsh criticism of the team.

That idea has been brought up and pretty much shot down.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Maybe an ignore feature could help the more emotional and reactionary folks who struggle to cope with the more harsh criticism of the team.

This is the kind of thing that bothers me on game threads. So anyone who doesn't agree with the folks who are overly negative is emotional and reactionary? This is exactly the sort of baiting that ruins the thread for me.

I have absolutely no problem with harsh criticism. What I can't stand is people who have the exact same tone whether we are up by 15 or down by 10 (be it positive or negative), and who simply disappear when they are proven wrong, but when they are right have to post "I told you sos" every five minutes.

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

This is the kind of thing that bothers me on game threads. So anyone who doesn't agree with the folks who are overly negative is emotional and reactionary? This is exactly the sort of baiting that ruins the thread for me.

I have absolutely no problem with harsh criticism. What I can't stand is people who have the exact same tone whether we are up by 15 or down by 10 (be it positive or negative), and who simply disappear when they are proven wrong, but when they are right have to post "I told you sos" every five minutes.

I didn't mean emotional in a pejorative way. Maybe I should have said "who are bothered by negative posts" or something. Sorry if you're disturbed.

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

That idea has been brought up and pretty much shot down.

Okay, I didn't read the entire thread.

Expressing differing opinions and criticisms is not wrong!
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

Offline jadams5214

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Since I am apparently one of the main antagonists on this board I wanted to post a few things and set the record straight, letting the chips fall where they may.  I normally don't respond to those who call me out personally with attacks but felt the time was right in this case.

Being "negative" or posting critically does not make someone "not a true fan" or anything of the sort. I have been a Celtic fan for over 30 years and watch every single game either live or on DVR.  I still remember where I was when I found out Len Bias died.  Being critical and getting excited during games is how I follow the team which does not diminish my fandom in the least. Expecting great things from a team with 3 future hall of famers and an additional all star, a 2 time NBA coach of the year, one of the leagues highest payrolls and a tradition of excellence is definitely warranted and there should be no apologies for those expectations.

To be called a troll is unfortunate.   I have also seen several posts questioning why I only seem to post after halftime or when the C's are struggling in many games.  Those posters are the perfect example of people rushing to judgment before knowing any actual facts.  I happen to live out West and have a job.  Many games here start at 4 or 4:30PM.  There are many nights that I get home from work after 5PM, and by the time I get settled for the game it's halftime.  It really isn't my fault that the C's start playing so poorly after halftime most nights, contrary to those who have intimated as much. 

Differing opinions and debate are what supposedly makes a forum like this enjoyable.  It's amusing that there are so many criticisms of those such as myself who point out deficiencies of the team.  That same logic doesn't seem to apply to those who blow up when anyone criticizes the team even when it is warranted.  Using last nights game as an example --- it was extremely dissapointing for the C's to be only up 11 at halftime with how well they were playing.  I pointed out how it looked just like many other recent games and that trouble could be on the horizon.  Well of course it turned out exactly that way but it's not my fault the C's collapsed in the second half again.  Doc said himself that "it was a JOKE, we should have been up by 25"  However pointing that out makes me a negative fan somehow.  And yes I post many of the same things every single game.  The reason for that is lately the C's have largely followed the same pattern in every single game!  Poor rebounding, turnovers, horrid end of game execution --- but it isn't my fault that they follow that pattern.  I don't use foul language when criticizing the team or individual players either.

It's disconcerting to see how some on this board use the comments of others here to justify their own behavior.  I was always taught if you don't like something or someone then just ignore them.  If you don't like negative posts then don't read them or respond to them.  It's amusing to see a possible "positive game thread" created.  Doesn't everyone realize that is using the same concept or exclusion just in reverse?  Having a thread where negative comments aren't allowed is ludicrous.  It would be fun to watch however, imagining the C's down 15 points and having posts like "way to go" "great effort out there" and such.  Finding a way to put a positive spin on a game such as last night's collapse would be a challenge for even the most optimistic of fans.

Again I thought the purpose of this forum was for Celtic fans to have an outlet to express their views on the team.  Censoring those views or ideas would seem to go against the very purpose of such a forum.  Short of personal attacks, foul language, threats or things like that, there should be no censoring or exclusion of posters or differing opinions. 

An example of this is the Washington Redskins (of which I am a lifelong fan).  The owner Daniel Snyder is known for his censoring of any views contrary to blind praise of his franchise.  He bought up most all talk radio in the DC area and fired those who were critical of him or the team.  He then banned signs from Fed Ex Field this year that criticized him or the team.  He is basically viewed as a dictator who rules with an iron fist, which is probably why the Skins have stunk for the last decade!

Well sorry for the rambling but I at least wanted to set the record straight on some things.  Differing opinions and views and what makes forums such as these so successful.  Hopefully this forum will continue to grow and prosper, welcoming all who enjoy the Celtics and commenting on their favorite team.   

Thanks to those who, while they don't necessarily agree with my posts or "negativity" still understand the right to those views.  Instead of bashing individuals or rushing to judgment, it would be wise to take a step back.  Either get to know the person and accept their views or just ignore them if they cause so much dismay. 

Look forward to another game tonight against the Hawks.  Just a forewarning though - Playing on back to back nights against an athletic team who has owned the C's this year may lead to stark criticism again tonight though.  This team was put together specifically to win championships and I will continue to hold them to a high standard.  To expect anything less is how teams such as the Clippers wind up wallowing in mediocrity for decades and how this same Celtic franchise went through a horrible stretch for almost 20 years. 

GO CELTICS!!!

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Go post JD, TP, i've never had a problem with your posts, they are always well thought out criticisms.

The posts that i think people have a problem with aren't the well thought out criticisms you describe in your post, they are posts like the OP of one of the threads to the right which can be summed up as

"we suck. lets just call the season, we're done."

or posts in the game thread such as

"like clockwork, here comes another collapse"

and such.

Negative criticism is fine, as is "god this team sucks" posts. It's a message board and you can post whatever you want. I enjoy productive discussions of the teams problems, we certainly have some right now.

But by the same token, yes, i do get irked and dismissive about posts  in the "we suck now lol." vein.

Criticism is fine, we certainly have alot of problems. But it's also fine for certain posters, and i'll out myself as one, to be turned off (to such an extent that i no longer go in the game threads) by seeing "OMG were awful, no chance to win this year" posts in the game thread, and watching those posters respond to anyone posting something positive by calling them a homer.  I think those kind of posts have no merit.

Doesn't mean i object to peoples right to post them, but it doesn't mean i'm going to give a rats behind about them either, nor pretend i value those who consistently post thems input as much as i do those who support thier opinions, positive or negative.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

1.  The "rah rah" posters should post their rah rah thoughts in the "official" game thread, and try to counter-balance the negative voices you hear.  I miss the days of the Rocky and Karate Kid references in the game thread.  Maybe we could have a new role model here.  I nominate Jack Bauer, although he's kind of old and lame these days, too. (Just kidding. ;))

2.  Report posts that approach the line of baiting / trolling (and this applies regardless of viewpoint, as some of the "positive" folks tread the line on the rules from time to time, as well.)  The staff is going to make cleaning up the game threads a priority, while at the same time attempting to allow everyone to express their views.

Roy, we pulled out Karate Kid last night but it did not work. Actually, I've pulled it out 4-5 times this season and the C's have lost every game. I'm not sure what is going on. I blame it on this:

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Expressing differing opinions and criticisms is not wrong!
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
  Either get to know the person and accept their views or just ignore them if they cause so much dismay. 

Or go somewhere where you and your opinions aren't and talk with other people

I don't see why that is such a problem here

And sorry if I don't agree with Mr crownsy but these types of posts are very trollish:

Can't wait to see the positive comments after this latest Celtic COLLAPSE where are they.

Let's see what the Celtics did tonight ---

Blow a big lead in the 4th quarter AGAIN --- CHECK
Get killed on the boards --- CHECK
Get a 3 point lead with under a minute left and still manage to lose the game --- CHECK
Fail miserably on both ends of the floor down the stretch --- CHECK

Pitiful collapse tonight and there is absolutely no excuse for it.  A veteran team simply has to execute down the stretch of games and this team has failed consistently to do so.

Doc refuses to foul when up 3 and it cost the C's against the Clippers and once again tonight.

A complete and utter collapse once again by the Celtics.  If this game in which the C's dominated doesn't show how far they have fallen then nothing else will.

PITIFUL...

this team plain sucks

No they don't be positive --- even though we brought up the warning signs weeks ago and the blind optimists ridiculed the astute observations.

KG is out KG is out KG is out === that is the ONLY excuse left.  Even though Detroit is more depleted by injuries than the Celtics. 

middle of the pack basketball team...championship teams win games vs very bad teams without 2 of their best players. big, slow and unathletic

Can't use the "playing a young athletic team" tonight.  Can't use the "fatigue" excuse either.  Can't use the "we're more injured than the other team" excuse tonight.

What excuse is left???

C's just broke 10 points for the quarter way to go!

There's some positivity for the blind optimists

Midway through the second half the Mavs are shooting over 80% WOW. 

Where are the excuses --- the blind optimists aren't posting right now because even they can't come up with anything positive to say about this.  Injuries are part of the game.  The fatigue excuse can't be used tonight as it has been SO OFTEN here.

Where are the excuses now???

20 - 25
21 - 25
34 - 18 What the freckles was that!?!

Not sure anyone can come up with positives to describe yet another 3rd quarter collapse --- especially against a team that has lost 3 out of 4 and playing the 2nd game of a road back to back.  And with the home team Celtics having 3 days rest which eliminates the fatigue excuse that has been popping up lately. 

But I would love to hear the positive vibes from this effort...

Gee great finish to the half after cutting it to 5 points!  Can't even play 2 solid minutes to keep the game close. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And Pierce has had his shot blocked 4 times tonight way to go Captain along with having Deng 5 for 5.

Where are all the blind optimists we need some positivity here to enlighten all of the "negative" fans here. 

Well I guess even they can't find anything positive to say about the Celtics' performance so far tonight.  Horrible offense, no rebounding, no ability to hit inside shots or even free throws.  Let the excuses roll in about being tired, shorthanded or whatever can be thought of.

Remember these are the 3-13 on the road Chicago Bulls --- enough said.

By the way in that last thread that was the fourth time you mentioned Chicago being a 3-13 road team that the Celtics should beat....you went on to mention it 7 more times in that thread

Little thing I have learned over the years about people who have negative points of view and like making themselves heard being negative all the time, they do for a pleasure trip as seeing that their words make other people as miserable as they are, makes them feel good
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Okay, here's the temporary solution:  to prevent confusion, we're not going to have two separate game threads every game.

However, I've converted the "feel good" game thread to an "all-purpose 'feel good' thread".  If members want to post in here during games, they can do so.  If they want to post in here other times, they can do so.

It's the best solution I can think of.  If people want to post a new "game thread" within this thread every game, they can do so.  I'll leave it up to the membership to decide.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Roy, we pulled out Karate Kid last night but it did not work. Actually, I've pulled it out 4-5 times this season and the C's have lost every game. I'm not sure what is going on. I blame it on this:

Yeah, and in the new movie, he's apparently not even doing Karate; it's going to be kung-fu.  And yet, it's still probably going to be called the Karate Kid, apparently.  Weird.

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
  Either get to know the person and accept their views or just ignore them if they cause so much dismay. 

And sorry if I don't agree with Mr crownsy but these types of posts are very trollish:

Can't wait to see the positive comments after this latest Celtic COLLAPSE where are they.

Get a 3 point lead with under a minute left and still manage to lose the game --- CHECK

Pitiful collapse tonight and there is absolutely no excuse for it.  A veteran team simply has to execute down the stretch of games and this team has failed consistently to do so.

Doc refuses to foul when up 3 and it cost the C's against the Clippers and once again tonight.

A complete and utter collapse once again by the Celtics.  If this game in which the C's dominated doesn't show how far they have fallen then nothing else will.

PITIFUL...

this team plain sucks

No they don't be positive --- even though we brought up the warning signs weeks ago and the blind optimists ridiculed the astute observations.

KG is out KG is out KG is out === that is the ONLY excuse left.  Even though Detroit is more depleted by injuries than the Celtics. 

middle of the pack basketball team...championship teams win games vs very bad teams without 2 of their best players. big, slow and unathletic

Can't use the "playing a young athletic team" tonight.  Can't use the "fatigue" excuse either.  Can't use the "we're more injured than the other team" excuse tonight.

What excuse is left???

Where are the excuses --- the blind optimists aren't posting right now because even they can't come up with anything positive to say about this.  Injuries are part of the game.  The fatigue excuse can't be used tonight as it has been SO OFTEN here.

20 - 25
21 - 25

Not sure anyone can come up with positives to describe yet another 3rd quarter collapse --- especially against a team that has lost 3 out of 4 and playing the 2nd game of a road back to back.  And with the home team Celtics having 3 days rest which eliminates the fatigue excuse that has been popping up lately. 

Gee great finish to the half after cutting it to 5 points!  Can't even play 2 solid minutes to keep the game close. 

And Pierce has had his shot blocked 4 times tonight way to go Captain along with having Deng 5 for 5.

Where are all the blind optimists we need some positivity here to enlighten all of the "negative" fans here. 

Well I guess even they can't find anything positive to say about the Celtics' performance so far tonight.  Horrible offense, no rebounding, no ability to hit inside shots or even free throws.  Let the excuses roll in about being tired, shorthanded or whatever can be thought of.

By the way in that last thread that was the fourth time you mentioned Chicago being a 3-13 road team that the Celtics should beat....you went on to mention it 7 more times in that thread

Little thing I have learned over the years about people who have negative points of view and like making themselves heard being negative all the time, they do for a pleasure trip as seeing that their words make other people as miserable as they are, makes them feel good

i addressed my negative posts after that game...talked to a mod and moved on. emotions run high with the Cs...i really don't know what you want me to do by pulling old posts out again.

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2010, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

PITIFUL...

this team plain sucks

What excuse is left???

20 - 25
21 - 25

i addressed my negative posts after that game...talked to a mod and moved on. emotions run high with the Cs...i really don't know what you want me to do by pulling old posts out again.

Pretty sure those were aimed at jadams' posts.
Yup

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC

PITIFUL...

this team plain sucks

What excuse is left???

20 - 25
21 - 25

Pretty sure those were aimed at jadams' posts.

ok..just making sure he didnt have an issue with me as well.

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The hope is that through some dialogue and sharing of expectations, nobody will have a problem with anybody else.  We don't condone calling out other posters, because it just leads to hurt feelings and conflict.