Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28844 times)

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm also not a fan of splitting the threads, but as one who has posted here awhile i will offer this:

I personally (and i may be wrong, it's my opinion) have seen a drastic increase in the number of snarky comments, near baiting posts, and the condescending "mabey thats what someone like YOU sees" posts in the game threads.

IT is in fact one of, though not the only, reason i stopped participating in them during the games.

The game threads used to be places where we would run to during commercial breaks to talk about the play on the floor. Sure, there were "man i hate when X does that, he's terrible" posts, but this year it's been more like "of course you like X, your not a knowledgeable fan, real fans know that X ect" and general "this team sucks, were done.." posts when were still in games.

That's just my personal opinion, and take it as such, but IMO the people who are of the opinion that the game threads have devolved into pretty much baiting threads are correct on a certain level. I don't get much enjoyment out of the constant bickering and backhanded shots that have replaced real conversation about the ongoing game.

That said, I still feel two game threads is a bad idea. If people aren't having fun in the game thread, I recommend what I do, cut them out of your game watching experience.

At the end of the day, people can post what they want. If it leads to you not having as much fun on the blog anymore, and at times it has for me, that's unfortunate but shouldn't be policed by the mods.

Right now, frustration is definitely the flavor of the day (and understandably so), but that doesn't mean we should attempt to  separate posters who choose to post what some might consider unwarranted criticism from those who wish to accentuate the positives.

Two threads on the same game will just increase the baiting and snarky comments IMO. each group of posters in each thread will start thinking of themselves as the "real" fans, and that ends poorly for all involved.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:43:03 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 03:41:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Not really a fan of the idea or the precedent it might set. I like to think I'm one of the more "Celtics glass half full" kinda guys on here, and I definitely can let the nega\tivity get under my skin. Still, the negative nellies have their place in our world. 

My chief concern of the Positive Only Game Thread is that everything is relative, and if all we're doing is raising the bar of what is acceptibly negative, then something that's just slightly negative will be perceived as trolling.  Whose to judge what level of negativity is acceptable?   How do we moderate that fairly?

The rules (with a few exceptions for the Current Events Forum), are uniform throughout CB, and they should remian so.

That said, there are definitely some posters who could stand to turn their frowns upside down every now and then.
Yup

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm also not a fan of splitting the threads, but as one who has posted here awhile i will offer this:

I personally (and i may be wrong, it's my opinion) have seen a drastic increase in the number of snarky comments, near baiting posts, and the condescending "mabey thats what someone like YOU sees" posts in the game threads.

I've noticed that too, but understand from a mod's perspective...nobody wants to mod during games. I spend literally the entire game in the chat, so I can focus on the game and not worry about that stuff, you know?

There is just such a high volume of posts, by the time you're done reading 3, 28 more have popped up. It's hard to look at each borderline snarky comment and make a fair decision, and watch the game at the same time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think for a lot of us...this is the ONLY place where you can share the joy of a win or vent when a loss happens. I can complain to my wife about how I am just frustrated that boston blew an 18 point lead and she will look at me like i am nuts. At least HERE I have other folks that follow the Cs that hurt just as much as I do when they struggle. I live in Cavs Country. I cannot go to work and discuss the C's because they C's are hated around this area.

Can people get on a tangent when they are struggling? Yes. I know I can. I have been too negative at times and really made an effort since the Pistons game to express my opinions and concerns without hurting someone's experience in the thread. Should we all be allowed to called spade a spade when they are playing bad? Yes. I personally don't like being called an unloyal fan if I post the C's continue to have problems holding second half leads. It is just a fact. And on the flip side, I don't think someone who is uber positive should be drilled for not agreeing with me or someone else. We have bridge jumpers and we have the guys here that help talk them down. Both are needed.

It is what makes the board great. I was challenged by a certain mod after the Pistons game and didn't like it. I as at the point of leaving totally because I felt they singled me out. I walked away and thought about what he was saying and decided he was right and I needed to step back from the ledge a bit. It is only a game. So I decided to try to be less of the negative energy and more of a balanced one. I decided to really post only at halftime and toward the end of the game. But there are times in a game where you just need to know that others are in the same place you are as you watch a great play or you witness a tough stretch where the Cs play poorly.

We all love the Boston Celtics. They evoke memories that are special to use and that make up our sports DNA. I have been a fan since 1980 at 6 years old. I have seen great peaks and massive valleys with this franchise like a lot of you guys. But i truly enjoy having a place where both sides can be represented as one.

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think for a lot of us...this is the ONLY place where you can share the joy of a win or vent when a loss happens. I can complain to my wife about how I am just frustrated that boston blew an 18 point lead and she will look at me like i am nuts. At least HERE I have other folks that follow the Cs that hurt just as much as I do when they struggle. I live in Cavs Country. I cannot go to work and discuss the C's because they C's are hated around this area.

Can people get on a tangent when they are struggling? Yes. I know I can. I have been too negative at times and really made an effort since the Pistons game to express my opinions and concerns without hurting someone's experience in the thread. Should we all be allowed to called spade a spade when they are playing bad? Yes. I personally don't like being called an unloyal fan if I post the C's continue to have problems holding second half leads. It is just a fact. And on the flip side, I don't think someone who is uber positive should be drilled for not agreeing with me or someone else. We have bridge jumpers and we have the guys here that help talk them down. Both are needed.

It is what makes the board great. I was challenged by a certain mod after the Pistons game and didn't like it. I as at the point of leaving totally because I felt they singled me out. I walked away and thought about what he was saying and decided he was right and I needed to step back from the ledge a bit. It is only a game. So I decided to try to be less of the negative energy and more of a balanced one. I decided to really post only at halftime and toward the end of the game. But there are times in a game where you just need to know that others are in the same place you are as you watch a great play or you witness a tough stretch where the Cs play poorly.

We all love the Boston Celtics. They evoke memories that are special to use and that make up our sports DNA. I have been a fan since 1980 at 6 years old. I have seen great peaks and massive valleys with this franchise like a lot of you guys. But i truly enjoy having a place where both sides can be represented as one.

TP, excellent post my friend :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

TP, excellent post my friend :D

man you have been missed in the game threads!! please come back!!

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Bottom line: two game threads is a silly concept. And, not to add fuel to the fire, but there are also plenty of game threads where the Celtics are truly playing horrible basketball, and those of us stating how badly the team is playing are baited by the positive fans. It does not bother me either way. One game thread is the way to go.

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bottom line: two game threads is a silly concept. And, not to add fuel to the fire, but there are also plenty of game threads where the Celtics are truly playing horrible basketball, and those of us stating how badly the team is playing are baited by the positive fans. It does not bother me either way. One game thread is the way to go.

wow, the reverse discrimination perspective is an interesting one.

Maybe what we need is a second thread for positives when they're playing well and a second thread for negatives when their playing poorly.

where this leaves mediocrity is sort of a gray area.
Yup

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My suggestion?  Ignore the posts you don't agree with, if they are making it less enjoyable for you.  

Two separate game threads is not a good idea IMO.  The whole idea of this site is to discuss the Celtics with other fans, and share our opinions with others who might have different opinions, eventually creating newer, more diverse and informed opinions.  If you have two game threads, with everyone with one opinion in one, and everyone with the opposite opinion in the other it creates informational inbreeding (yes, I just coined that term).  It will cause the opinions to simply grow in ridiculous ways, and become warped and out of control, not to mention it creates cliques within the community, which are not really a good thing.  

So I say we all learn to coexist.  Show each other respect, and just learn to focus on the discussions, rather than worrying about who is too negative or who is too positive.

And that is my public service announcement for the day.  Thank you.

Tomorrows will center around why being swept by a team with an average attendance of 326 does not really count as being swept.

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tomorrows will center around why being swept by a team with an average attendance of 326 does not really count as being swept.

Nobody likes a negative nancy, Chris.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My suggestion?  Ignore the posts you don't agree with, if they are making it less enjoyable for you.  

Two separate game threads is not a good idea IMO.  The whole idea of this site is to discuss the Celtics with other fans, and share our opinions with others who might have different opinions, eventually creating newer, more diverse and informed opinions.  If you have two game threads, with everyone with one opinion in one, and everyone with the opposite opinion in the other it creates informational inbreeding (yes, I just coined that term).  It will cause the opinions to simply grow in ridiculous ways, and become warped and out of control, not to mention it creates cliques within the community, which are not really a good thing.  

So I say we all learn to coexist.  Show each other respect, and just learn to focus on the discussions, rather than worrying about who is too negative or who is too positive.

And that is my public service announcement for the day.  Thank you.

I have to agree.  We do not need two threads.

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Well I guess that settles that

Just about every staff member is against it

Well, I just thought for those that wanted a more enjoyable experience blogging while watching the game because the negativity was bothersome to them that this would provide that outlet

Sad that so many are against an idea that was just trying to make the place more enjoyable for some without actually seeing if it was a bad thing first

I am especially surprised that those that are claiming reverse discrimination and that positive bloggers are baiting them that they wouldn't be for the idea of removing those people that bother them from the thread so that they could enjoy their glass half fullness more rather than being bothered by the blind optimists

I guess they prefer to make their based in reality observations in front of people with a very different opinion

I wonder why

Anyway, if the feel good thread isn't going to be even tried, remember, there is still the chat room

I might find my way there instead

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Is it going to hurt to try it for a night or a couple of games

What happens if in the feel good thread suddenly there are 15-25 regulars who enjoy that experience better

They should be punished by not having that thread because a small group of people are ruining the regular game thread for them

As for FLCeltsFan, would it be asking to much that I open the feel good thread by just quoting his original thread or cutting and pasting it

Or perhaps FLCeltsfan could take the extra 10 seconds to create the feel good thread and that way his efforts don't go for naught or are unappreciated

How are we "punishing" anyone by not making a second game thread? Infact, you're letting the trolls know they have an impact, and they'll only walk around that like they supposedly walked around the way it is now, motivated that they're getting under everyone's skin.

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Is it going to hurt to try it for a night or a couple of games

What happens if in the feel good thread suddenly there are 15-25 regulars who enjoy that experience better

They should be punished by not having that thread because a small group of people are ruining the regular game thread for them

As for FLCeltsFan, would it be asking to much that I open the feel good thread by just quoting his original thread or cutting and pasting it

Or perhaps FLCeltsfan could take the extra 10 seconds to create the feel good thread and that way his efforts don't go for naught or are unappreciated

How are we "punishing" anyone by not making a second game thread? Infact, you're letting the trolls know they have an impact, and they'll only walk around that like they supposedly walked around the way it is now, motivated that they're getting under everyone's skin.

Because good people will end up leaving the thread

Some people just won't be bothered and will just decide not to participate anymore, real good people

One poster named crownsy already said he left the game threads for the exact reason I am trying to start this new thread

Another said another poster hasn't been seen around the threads recently

Mr Hobbs says he's had over a dozen complaints of people saying they were going to stop participating because of this

Probably all good people

Isn't it better to continue to give these good people a chance to continued doing something they like to do rather than saying, sorry, only one game thread, ignore the people who are bothering your experience

They have already said no to that and are going to take the easy way out and avoid it

Given the non availability of another option, I probably will too

Mr Hobbs said he counted a 3:1 ratio of blantantly negative posts to non negative posts during a Celtics blowout, or was it during a great first half, can't remember

That gets pretty hard to ignore after a while
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Maybe an ignore feature could help the more emotional and reactionary folks who struggle to cope with the more harsh criticism of the team.