Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28873 times)

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
hmmm... looking back over, it seems like a lot of this is about gamethreads exclusively. I admit i don't really follow those, so my perspective is not very valid; i think i'm unaware of what is actually causing the schism.

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
ignore features often cause more trouble than they solve

I'm just curious. How?

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

Why?

The reason I think I would like an ignore button is not because I don't want to see criticism of the team. I want to. Ill criticize them myself.

But it is very hard to talk about the game objectively when you know someone is only there waiting for the moment of failure in order to call out other posters or post obnoxious "I told you so" messages.

And I know that the mods have a very difficult job, and respect them immensely for what they do, so an ignore button could save mods some trouble in deciding what is over the line and what isn't*.

* But I must say that when a member's posts have the exact same tone whether we are up by 15 or down by 5, and when a member always finishes out game threads not only by rehashing all he's said during the game, but also calling out everyone who disagrees with him, that member is way over the line already.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Alright, here's my two cents.

I'm against the idea of two separate game threads.  To me, its divisive and there are more negatives from it, than positives.  FLCeltsFan puts in a TON of work to create the official game threads and I'd hate to the idea of her hardwork putting these threads together only  to have half the group go to another game thread.  I think its disingenous to her.

Clearly, we're had some issues in recent weeks regarding behavior in the games threads.  Myself and other moderators have received numerous complaints regarding the actions of some in there.

Its a tough line we have to balance as moderators, though.  We certainly want the expression of all opinions on here.  We're not just a positive blog.  As fans, we have the right to express our displeasures at times.  HOWEVER, sometimes these expressions have crossed the line into baiting and hijacking of threads.  I understand the cry of freedom of speech but the fact of the matter is that this is a blog that has established posting guidelines which were created with the idea that these discussion forums would be a little more "highbrow" than the general chaos you tend to see on the ESPN, CBS, and various other discussion forums out there.  I'd say 99% of the people here understand this and abide by it.  Every once and awhile, issues arise and discussions like this are made.

Once again, I suggest people look at these "Game Thread Posting Guidelines" as well as the general forum posting rules.  I think its pretty safe to say that the moderators are gonna more closely monitor things in these game threads going forward.  There are obvious issues present here and I think they're going to need to be addressed but they shouldn't be by the creation of two separate game threads.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

I'm just curious. How?

if people simply used ignore, it would be fine in theory, but too many people use it as an opportunity to broadcast to everyone that they are ignoring X individual - which is kinda like giving them negative TP's or shunning them

statements like "I'm ignoring you from now on, good day" and "don't worry about X, just put him on ignore" become code for "lets tear this person down without overtly breaking any rules"
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Two Game Threads?
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
What's it going to hurt to try it

I understand your intentions and will even give you a TP for it, but I think it leads to bad things.
How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

Same thing here

Some people, like me, are starting to thoroughly dislike participating in the game thread because of the incessant amount of highly critical, bordering on trolling posts that are ruining the experience for us

So what's so bad about having a separate game thread for us who want to enjoying the simultaneous act of watching a game and blogging without having the distraction of those types of posts popping up in the thread

It's just another "room" at the family party

If you, Chief, and you, Greenfaith, want to participate in the regular game thread and deal with those posters and their "educated observations", go ahead

I'm not going to think any more or less highly of you guys, you're great guys,I truly mean that

But my guess is tonight, let there be two game threads and let's see what happens

Is it really going to hurt anything by giving it a try one night

And if the "extra highly observant" posters come into the "Feel Good Game Thread" and start posting negative stuff, the mods will have their proof that they really are lurking trolls trying to get a rise out of the rest of us Celtic fans and can do something about it

By the way, there are only about 3-5 guys doing this

There is a difference between being critical of your team and what has been going on with a handful of posters and Fan from VT, you aren't one of that handful

Good Post, PLamb...

I think your "Educated Observations" part is Spot On....I say this not in disrespect to new Celtics Fans or ones who may not know Celtics History, but just to prove a point:

When you first started posting here a week or so ago you made an Excellent Reference to Celtics History, one that even I wasn't aware of: The 1968-69 Season.

That post you made pretty much sums up (to me, at least) what this season has been for Boston so far.

Now I certainly wouldn't be happy with Boston limping (Figuratively, not literally I hope ;D) to a 48-34 record by the end of the season, but you know what? If this leads to Banner 18 in June of 2010, then I am sure that I (or anyone else here) won't complain.

I'm just not sure that many of us here could stomach that sort of finish for Boston...I could, if it lead to Title 18.

Maybe someone could do a Celtics History Thread for us? To maybe educate us on past Celtics History and how it could relate to our current issues?

At the end of the day, 99% of us here want Boston to win it all....and keep the Title count higher than LA. We win it this year and the count will be 18 to 15...well out of the reach of any Title Run that LA can muster.

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm just curious. How?

if people simply used ignore, it would be fine in theory, but too many people use it as an opportunity to broadcast to everyone that they are ignoring X individual - which is kinda like giving them negative TP's or shunning them

statements like "I'm ignoring you from now on, good day" and "don't worry about X, just put him on ignore" become code for "lets tear this person down without overtly breaking any rules"

I absolutely agree; I've seen it on other boards numerous times.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Maybe someone could do a Celtics History Thread for us? To maybe educate us on past Celtics History and how it could relate to our current issues?

Even better, we have a full "Celtics History" forum, although admittedly it's not as full as it could be.  I'd love to see some of the "old timers" share their perspective in there more.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Even better, we have a full "Celtics History" forum, although admittedly it's not as full as it could be.  I'd love to see some of the "old timers" share their perspective in there more.

Thanks...didn't know that before. TP4U. My relevant Celtics History only runs back from 1981, and even then sadly I couldn't name all 12 players on that team. I was only 12.

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There should only be one thread.

I usually fall on the side of optimism when supporting a team I like, for the simple reason that pessimism is depressing.

However, as long as their isn't any personal attacks, trolling or baiting and someone wants to be pessimistic their allowed. If you don't like what someone is saying ignore it. If you feel like you can respectfully argue it, do so. Splitting the blog into the optimists and pessimists is the same partisanship that has plagued America for a long time, don't let it spill over into sports.

I love this blog because everyone for the most part is respectful of others. When I go to other boards for other New England area teams, they are littered with swearing, insults and never ending arguments that go nowhere. We can have different opinions but we need to make sure they don't lead to the deterioration of the message board.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Is it going to hurt to try it for a night or a couple of games

What happens if in the feel good thread suddenly there are 15-25 regulars who enjoy that experience better

They should be punished by not having that thread because a small group of people are ruining the regular game thread for them

As for FLCeltsFan, would it be asking to much that I open the feel good thread by just quoting his original thread or cutting and pasting it

Or perhaps FLCeltsfan could take the extra 10 seconds to create the feel good thread and that way his efforts don't go for naught or are unappreciated
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
im usually against segregation whenever possible  ;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

I know what you mean, and I don't think that's a good thing.

A family dynamic like you describe is a divided one; one that I've experienced personally.  There's always that underlying tension where the group conversing in one room is always aware of the absence, distance, and sometimes animosity of the group in the other room.  I just don't want that kind of "family divided" dynamic.

As others have said, part of the point of going on the blog in the first place is to enjoy the diversity of views and the conversation that goes along with it.  This separation of game threads runs in direct opposition to that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
yarr we be havin a Celticsblog revolutionary warrr yarrr I'm a pirate  8) Just like that, but with only one eye covered.

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 03:29:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Some of the comments reminds me of this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xg5Uup01g&feature=related

Do we really want Pleasantville?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird