Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 29045 times)

Re: Two Game Threads?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
What's it going to hurt to try it

I understand your intentions and will even give you a TP for it, but I think it leads to bad things.
How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

Same thing here

Some people, like me, are starting to thoroughly dislike participating in the game thread because of the incessant amount of highly critical, bordering on trolling posts that are ruining the experience for us

So what's so bad about having a separate game thread for us who want to enjoying the simultaneous act of watching a game and blogging without having the distraction of those types of posts popping up in the thread

It's just another "room" at the family party

If you, Chief, and you, Greenfaith, want to participate in the regular game thread and deal with those posters and their "educated observations", go ahead

I'm not going to think any more or less highly of you guys, you're great guys,I truly mean that

But my guess is tonight, let there be two game threads and let's see what happens

Is it really going to hurt anything by giving it a try one night

And if the "extra highly observant" posters come into the "Feel Good Game Thread" and start posting negative stuff, the mods will have their proof that they really are lurking trolls trying to get a rise out of the rest of us Celtic fans and can do something about it

I think this is the problem. Some posters want people punished for not seeing things their way. This is getting to be as bad a our political forums.
There's a difference Chief

Let's be real here

There are just a few guys that go out of their way to always be negative, always

Winning, losing, blowing out a team, getting blown out, tight contests on the road versus Conference champions, doesn't matter they bring out the pruposely negative stick and wield it often

The mods see these guys barely staying within the rules of the blog and they might see trolls doing everything they can to ruin a good time for others but are technically not breaking any rules

So if there is a game thread set up exclusively for positive game watchers and then they decide to come in and spout the same stuff they are in the regular thread, isn't that proof that they are just doing it to cause dissention
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think two game threads is a bad solution to a temporary problem that really isn't that bad.

The fact is when things are bad like they are now there are going to be more negative posters than positive ones.  The best we can do is try to foster as positive and realistic atmosphere as possible, but segregating the game threads and essentially censoring the kind of posting that can go on in a particular game thread is not the right solution, in my opinion.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I understand your intentions and will even give you a TP for it, but I think it leads to bad things.
How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

Same thing here

Some people, like me, are starting to thoroughly dislike participating in the game thread because of the incessant amount of highly critical, bordering on trolling posts that are ruining the experience for us

So what's so bad about having a separate game thread for us who want to enjoying the simultaneous act of watching a game and blogging without having the distraction of those types of posts popping up in the thread

If you, Chief, and you, Greenfaith, want to participate in the regular game thread and deal with those posters and their "educated observations", go ahead

I'm not going to think any more or less highly of you guys, you're great guys,I truly mean that

But my guess is tonight, let there be two game threads and let's see what happens

And if the "extra highly observant" posters come into the "Feel Good Game Thread" and start posting negative stuff, the mods will have their proof that they really are lurking trolls trying to get a rise out of the rest of us Celtic fans and can do something about it

I think this is the problem. Some posters want people punished for not seeing things their way. This is getting to be as bad a our political forums.
There's a difference Chief

Let's be real here

There are just a few guys that go out of their way to always be negative, always

Winning, losing, blowing out a team, getting blown out, tight contests on the road versus Conference champions, doesn't matter they bring out the pruposely negative stick and wield it often

The mods see these guys barely staying within the rules of the blog and they might see trolls doing everything they can to ruin a good time for others but are technically not breaking any rules

So if there is a game thread set up exclusively for positive game watchers and then they decide to come in and spout the same stuff they are in the regular thread, isn't that proof that they are just doing it to cause dissention

I agree, there are 2-3 guys that are nothing but negative. That is their niche. I just laugh at them. Kind of like Sexy Scottish and his ref bashing. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I understand that the mods have a tough job here and the guys that are constantly negative aren't breaking any rules...

I think the best solution at this point is to have an ignore feature...is that possible?

I try to ignore a certain few, but when they are posting so often, it's tough to wade through. They will probably want to ignore me, too.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think splitting the community up into two game threads is a good idea.

Devil's advocate, but isn't it already spread up into the chat, the front page game thread, and the forums game thread?

I totally understand Plamb's intention here.  I'm not in love with censoring what types / what tenor of posts members can make in a certain thread, either, and it makes enforcement very difficult for the staff.  That being said, the "separate room" argument Plamb makes also makes a lot of sense.

Ultimately, what are the arguments against having an "official" game thread, and an "unofficial" rah-rah thread?  Is forcing people to participate in only one thread taking away their right to express themselves?  On the other hand, having multiple threads on similar subjects is generally disfavored.

In other words...  I see both sides.
My problem with splittering the game thread dwellers is that it isn't like there is a big "divide" among CBers. Its litterally a tiny few individuals.

What makes it worse is that we've spoken to some of the negative posters and some have toned it down, while still giving their opinions. Others have ramped it up and started out right baiting/trolling.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
Also, I feel we may have lost some quality posters in the game threads already. nickagneta has been a great poster. He isn't afraid to get on the team or the organization, but he also actually seems in a great mood when we actually win or there is a great play. And I haven't seen him in the threads lately.

It just feels to me that these few guys might have sad faces on when we actually win.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
If our team would come to play their style of game for a full 4 qtrs, Cblog would be a great place. You will always have the negative and rah rah fans. But when the team is playing like it did last night, the negative side has all the ammo, and rightly so. I was positive about this team until last night. Not going to rehash it but I'm in full chicken little mode now. I feel robbed as a fan when I see my team get lazy on d and not put in a full effort to defeat the other team. This team has become very annoying to watch. With exception of a few players, it seems like they are just going through the motions and have this attitude of their owed a win.

Sunday is going to be very embarrassing to watch if they don't get their heads out of that dark place on the backside
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I understand that the mods have a tough job here and the guys that are constantly negative aren't breaking any rules...

I think the best solution at this point is to have an ignore feature...is that possible?

I try to ignore a certain few, but when they are posting so often, it's tough to wade through. They will probably want to ignore me, too.

That's perfect.  You ought to win a prize.

An ignore feature makes SO much more sense than this silly two threads thing.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

How so

So what do you do

Same thing here

By the way, there are only about 3-5 guys doing this

There is a difference between being critical of your team and what has been going on with a handful of posters and Fan from VT, you aren't one of that handful

I'd much rather compare this community to a group at the bar than family members. Your family members for that family party may not have gathered just for some Celtics game, and just my hunch, if they really did, I wouldn't be in love with "moving to that other room that also has a TV" just to get away from that one really negative guy.....I mean, you could just threaten to beat the tar out of him if he (or her...yes I went there, and a guy doesn't have to do it :D) doesn't shut up anyways, right? :D

For the most part, all of us are more or less here because we're first and foremost Celtic fans. For the most part, we also have one of the biggest fanbases in the NBA. That will attract all types of characters. It's inevitable you'll find the occasional Celtic fan who loses all hope over one game, whether it's in CelticsBlog, or in real life. It could be at your job or at the bar. Maybe they are just bandwagoning frontrunners who won't be here 4 or so years for now when ESPN no longer thinks we're one of the better teams in the NBA, so what? It comes with the territory. But don't like act these people never existed 10 years ago. They've existed since professional sports meant something in America.

If you truly think it's clear that someone is just trying to get a rise out of everyone else, then you should probably ignore them. Maybe even report them. But to me, a couple of Debbie Downers is a borderline non-issue, and personally, I think those people who told Roy they wanna leave the blog over them need a bigger backbone and/or need to realize that these overly negative fans are a very small minority.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

That's perfect.  You ought to win a prize.

An ignore feature makes SO much more sense than this silly two threads thing.

Does that mean we could put all the mods on ignore and take over the site :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
If our team would come to play their style of game for a full 4 qtrs, Cblog would be a great place. You will always have the negative and rah rah fans. But when the team is playing like it did last night, the negative side has all the ammo, and rightly so. I was positive about this team until last night. Not going to rehash it but I'm in full chicken little mode now. I feel robbed as a fan when I see my team get lazy on d and not put in a full effort to defeat the other team. This team has become very annoying to watch. With exception of a few players, it seems like they are just going through the motions and have this attitude of their owed a win.

Sunday is going to be very embarrassing to watch if they don't get their heads out of that dark place on the backside

This, too. If there are truly trolls out there who just want to get a rise out of everyone, they stink, to put it bluntly. Other than that, I'm not going to cry because some really negative fans were angry over the fact we blew a double digit lead going into the 4th. I'd hate to think people want "two" game threads over this just because people who have a right to criticize this team DID.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen

This, too. If there are truly trolls out there who just want to get a rise out of everyone, they stink, to put it bluntly. Other than that, I'm not going to cry because some really negative fans were angry over the fact we blew a double digit lead going into the 4th. I'd hate to think people want "two" game threads over this just because people who have a right to criticize this team DID.

It's fine to be negative after the lead evaporates, but we had a 15 point lead and still, there wasn't one positive word coming from the usual suspects. All negative.

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
ignore features often cause more trouble than they solve
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
it is what makes this site great...

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
I posted this elsewhere and I think it belongs here too:

Here's the thing, game threads are completely different animals to the everyday discussion threads

We all get along in the discussion threads

But when the emotions are running while simultaneously watching the Celtics, some people's inhibitions are changed and emotions run stronger

So what's the harm in having two threads when emotions are running stronger than normal and people are being less rash than normal

Then afterward, when everyone returns to their baseline emotionally, we all enjoy our discussions together

Listen, I'm not the most positive guy in the world

I made a thread asking what happens to KG's salary if he retires, does that sound positive

I made a thread trading Ray a couple of times

I think we shouldn't resign Ray because I think his game is going to severely fall off

I posted that our rebounding problems, which I agree we have, is because our older players are playing old

Sound positive to you

But when I am watching a game and cheering on my team, I don't want people telling me every 5 seconds how much we suck, why we won't ever win the championship and how bad this team is

Is that so wrong

So have two threads, let everyone pick their particular way to enjoy the game and then we all come together and discuss the team like we normally do

Is it going to cause the site to crash and burn to try it until it's not a good thing

Really
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver