Author Topic: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?  (Read 28858 times)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Do we really need two game threads? I hope the mods put a end to all this. People have the right to express their opinion. If you don't like it, don't acknowledge them or debate them respectfully. But segregating the game threads is going a bit too far.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:57:37 AM by Roy Hobbs »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Two Game Threads?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Do we really need two game threads? I hope the mods put a end to all this. People have the right to express their opinion. If you don't like it, don't acknowledge them or debate them respectfully. But segregating the game threads is going a bit too far.

Yeah, personally I tend to look at the positive side of things because I have seen Boston at its worst, being a fan since 1981. That is why I tend to post positively.

Now for the more critical observers: I'd say let them post, in the one game thread. I am of agreement that we don't need two threads as well. At the heart of it all is that CelticsBlog is supposed to be a Community..young, old, new fans, old fans, critical fans, casual fans, fans with an enormous (crazy?) amount of belief in the team to overcome (me)....etc.

I think that we get along ok here on one game thread...no need to divide and conquer. As long as we just respect one another.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:52:50 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Yeah, personally I tend to look at the positive side of things because I have see Boston at its worst, being a fan since 1981. That is why I tend to post positively.

Now for the more critical observers: I'd say let them post, in the one game thread. I am of agreement that we don't need two threads as well. At the heart of it all is that CelticsBlog is supposed to be a Community..young, old, new fans, old fans, critical fans, casual fans, fans with an enormous (crazy?) amount of belief in the team to overcome (me)....etc.
I think that we get along ok here on one game thread...no need to divide and conquer. As long as we just respect one another.

TP. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
What's it going to hurt to try it

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I understand both sides of this argument, and even though the staff hasn't conferred on this, I'm sure ultimately there will only be one "official" game thread, the one done by FLCeltsFan.

However, I understand the desire to have a positive experience on here.  The game threads are becoming bitter and nasty, and some people don't want that.  I've had literally probably a dozen people send me messages, talking about how they're thinking about leaving the blog due to the negativity in the game thread.

Also, from my standpoint, I do think a couple of people are coming pretty close to the line of baiting / trolling in the game threads.  I think they enjoy ruining the games for the "less observant" fans.  I have the inclination that some of these folks root for the Celts to lose, so they'll be proven "right".

So, what would people have us do?  I'm officially opening the floor for suggestions.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I understand your intentions and will even give you a TP for it, but I think it leads to bad things.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It is Certainly Tempting, PLamb...but I would say no. The funny thing is that I went to bed last night with a slight headache from the wave of Criticality after the ORL game.

I just think that People are People...let them view their thoughts on the game...yes some of those thoughts are to me "Very Interesting" (I'll leave it at that)....but still Their Thoughts.

Such is a Community, I guess. Whether Boston Wins or Loses, I'll still be here. Still the same. Still looking at what Boston did right in each game, and still believing that they will win it at the end.

Some folks will just believe one way no matter what...Boston could have blown out ORL 130 to 80, and there would still be some critical folks..but it's still all good.

I would say just one thread. Your thoughts are certainly Noble, though.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I understand both sides of this argument, and even though the staff hasn't conferred on this, I'm sure ultimately there will only be one "official" game thread, the one done by FLCeltsFan.

However, I understand the desire to have a positive experience on here.  The game threads are becoming bitter and nasty, and some people don't want that.  I've had literally probably a dozen people send me messages, talking about how they're thinking about leaving the blog due to the negativity in the game thread.

Also, from my standpoint, I do think a couple of people are coming pretty close to the line of baiting / trolling in the game threads.  I think they enjoy ruining the games for the "less observant" fans.  I have the inclination that some of these folks root for the Celts to lose, so they'll be proven "right".

So, what would people have us do?  I'm officially opening the floor for suggestions.

I don't go in the game threas, but it can't be any worse (if it's even close to as bad) as  things were before the big three got here. Maybe the solution is to just wait until the team gets back into sync and starts winning again and people will have less to rant about.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Mods need to protect posters from being attacked or baited in the forums. I know I made a trade Ray Allen comment last night and was attacked/baited, IMO. Knowing the rules, I side swept, multiple times, instead of saying what I would have liked.

The Rule:

"Please do not troll or bait.  The first example of such behavior will result in a ban."

One warning, then you're gone. At least that is what I think. :-\

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

I think open baiting is not good behavior. But sometimes the line is blurry.

For example, and I may be over generalizing, but I remember when I first started checking this site out (2004-2005) the Celtics were not very good. I enjoyed watching, of course, and I placed a lot of hope in Green, Delonte, Perk, and Jefferson. I remember watching for specific plays and signs that indicated future stardom, hoping that one or two stars could emerge.

I also remember a lot of condescending comments from the more "old-school" crowd that these guys were basically garbage; they weren't being "mean," or "negative," they were being "objective." I don't remember people wanting to make two game threads.

Now to the over generalizing: It seems like a lot of those that poo-pooed the fans' hopes in 2004 now are many of the same ones that are upset at criticism of our current team, as well as many of the ones that get irrationally upset when fans (having fun) discuss hypothetical trades.

I think we should all be respectful and not intentionally inflammatory, but I'm afraid of unequal enforcement of rules regarding what is too negative or too provocative as it tends to be the more "connected" crowd that doesn't want to hear criticism of the team veterans, but is quite liberal criticism elsewhere.

To sum, I think debate is good. I also think respect is good. And I would suggest any mods be very careful that they apply standards equally; a harsh, unpopular negative criticism at directed at Ray should be dealt with in the exact same way as a  harsh, unpopular negative criticism directed at Rondo or directed at someone who posts a trade idea.

My two cents.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

I understand your intentions and will even give you a TP for it, but I think it leads to bad things.
How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

Same thing here

Some people, like me, are starting to thoroughly dislike participating in the game thread because of the incessant amount of highly critical, bordering on trolling posts that are ruining the experience for us

So what's so bad about having a separate game thread for us who want to enjoying the simultaneous act of watching a game and blogging without having the distraction of those types of posts popping up in the thread

It's just another "room" at the family party

If you, Chief, and you, Greenfaith, want to participate in the regular game thread and deal with those posters and their "educated observations", go ahead

I'm not going to think any more or less highly of you guys, you're great guys,I truly mean that

But my guess is tonight, let there be two game threads and let's see what happens

Is it really going to hurt anything by giving it a try one night

And if the "extra highly observant" posters come into the "Feel Good Game Thread" and start posting negative stuff, the mods will have their proof that they really are lurking trolls trying to get a rise out of the rest of us Celtic fans and can do something about it

By the way, there are only about 3-5 guys doing this

There is a difference between being critical of your team and what has been going on with a handful of posters and Fan from VT, you aren't one of that handful
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

Re: Two Game Threads? / Suggestions for how to keep CB enjoyable for all?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think splitting the community up into two game threads is a good idea.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

How so

Some people want to watch and say things that are critical, others want to watch and cheer the team on

Listen, everyone has gone to a family party over at another family members house and had a family member they aren't to keen on listening to start spouting off about one thing or another

So what do you do

Usually, most people go in the other room and talk about something else with someone else

Same thing here

Some people, like me, are starting to thoroughly dislike participating in the game thread because of the incessant amount of highly critical, bordering on trolling posts that are ruining the experience for us

So what's so bad about having a separate game thread for us who want to enjoying the simultaneous act of watching a game and blogging without having the distraction of those types of posts popping up in the thread

It's just another "room" at the family party

If you, Chief, and you, Greenfaith, want to participate in the regular game thread and deal with those posters and their "educated observations", go ahead

I'm not going to think any more or less highly of you guys, you're great guys,I truly mean that

But my guess is tonight, let there be two game threads and let's see what happens

Is it really going to hurt anything by giving it a try one night

And if the "extra highly observant" posters come into the "Feel Good Game Thread" and start posting negative stuff, the mods will have their proof that they really are lurking trolls trying to get a rise out of the rest of us Celtic fans and can do something about it

I think this is the problem. Some posters want people punished for not seeing things their way. This is getting to be as bad a our political forums.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
conceptually I'm not a big fan of splitting the threads

though I will not throw my weight around on this issue other than to support the mod staff because I'm usually not involved in the game threads
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't think splitting the community up into two game threads is a good idea.

Devil's advocate, but isn't it already spread up into the chat, the front page game thread, and the forums game thread?

I totally understand Plamb's intention here.  I'm not in love with censoring what types / what tenor of posts members can make in a certain thread, either, and it makes enforcement very difficult for the staff.  That being said, the "separate room" argument Plamb makes also makes a lot of sense.

Ultimately, what are the arguments against having an "official" game thread, and an "unofficial" rah-rah thread?  Is forcing people to participate in only one thread taking away their right to express themselves?  On the other hand, having multiple threads on similar subjects is generally disfavored.

In other words...  I see both sides.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions