Author Topic: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?  (Read 87252 times)

Re: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2023, 01:06:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When will the Celtics be able to trade Grant Williams and his "cap hold" of $6 million during this offseason? Is it necessary for him to secure a new contract or settle for the qualifying offer prior to being traded?

Correct.  Unlike in the NHL, you can't trade a player's "rights". 

If we sign and trade him immediately, we become hard-capped at the luxury tax apron.

If we sign him to a qualifying offer or a new deal, it's at least December 15, and may be January 15.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2023, 06:14:29 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
When will the Celtics be able to trade Grant Williams and his "cap hold" of $6 million during this offseason? Is it necessary for him to secure a new contract or settle for the qualifying offer prior to being traded?

If we sign and trade him immediately, we become hard-capped at the luxury tax apron.

If we sign him to a qualifying offer or a new deal, it's at least December 15, and may be January 15.

Thank you. If that's the case, it would seem that Grant can simply walk, and the Celtics get nothing.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2023, 06:23:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?

i wanna Steak

but all i can afford is..

either you can afford it or you cant....

thats how it works,,

*sippin*

« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 261
  • International Superstar

Thank you. If that's the case, it would seem that Grant can simply walk, and the Celtics get nothing.
He's an restricted free agent, so that's not entirely true.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
New topic:

So old CBA had a enhanced repeater tax:   if over the apron 3 out of 4 years, repeater rate would kick in for year 5.

New CBA has a similar enhanced repeater tax for being over the 2nd apron - so far so good.

Here's my question:

Say the last two years Team A was over the apron - do those 2 years count under the new 2nd apron look back period, OR

did every team's "clock" reset back to zero years under the new CBA rules?

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2023, 12:22:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973
New topic:

So old CBA had a enhanced repeater tax:   if over the apron 3 out of 4 years, repeater rate would kick in for year 5.

New CBA has a similar enhanced repeater tax for being over the 2nd apron - so far so good.

Here's my question:

Say the last two years Team A was over the apron - do those 2 years count under the new 2nd apron look back period, OR

I don’t know the answer for sure, but my guess is that the clock would not reset, in part because the new CBA has kept the original tax brackets for the next two seasons, and then is updating them.  So it would appear the intent would be for things to continue as they were and transition into the new system, rather than have an abrupt change.

If my hotel WiFi worked, I’d pull up the CBA on my laptop, but there’s no way I’m finding out that answer on my phone.

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2023, 12:23:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
New topic:

Here's my question:

I don't think there is a look back period for the 2nd apron.  I think it's only prospective.  The draft pick freeze and related penalties go into effect in 2024-2025, so even this season doesn't "count" toward the 2A repeater penalties.

Now, related to *first apron* repeater financial penalties, I assume those still continue as under the old CBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2023, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
New topic:

Here's my question:

I don't think there is a look back period for the 2nd apron.  I think it's only prospective.  The draft pick freeze and related penalties go into effect in 2024-2025, so even this season doesn't "count" toward the 2A repeater penalties.

Now, related to *first apron* repeater financial penalties, I assume those still continue as under the old CBA.

Ya this is right, 2nd apron draft pick penalty begins in 24-25, but repeater tax is penalties already in effect and counts years played under the old CBA. This makes sense tho, the current tax rules haven't changed much but the 2nd apron thing is new. Wouldn't make sense to punish teams for past instances of a new rule.

One thing that is changing is the severity of the penalties. Beginning in the 25-26 season (the first year the c's could be in the repeater" the repeater tax rates take a large jump from their current levels. The tax per dollar would be 3.0/3.25/5.5/6.75 for the first 4 repeater brackets starting in 25-26. That's even more punitive than the current repeater tax, and FAR more punitive than the current non repeater tax the c's will pay in 23-24 which is just 1.5/1.75/2.5/3.25 for the first four brackets.

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2023, 12:55:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
New topic:

Here's my question:

Ya this is right, 2nd apron draft pick penalty begins in 24-25, but repeater tax is penalties already in effect.

One thing that is changing is the severity of the penalties. Beginning in the 25-26 season (the first year the c's could be in the repeater" the repeater tax rates take a large jump from their current levels. The tax per dollar would be 3.0/3.25/5.5/6.75 for repeaters starting in 25-26. That's even more punitive than the current repeater tax.

My question:  why did a union that is adamantly opposed to a hard cap agree to this CBA so peacefully?

Those repeater tax penalties + the second apron financial restrictions + draft pick penalties are a de facto hard cap.  Yes, the richest teams can exceed it every once in awhile, but no team can live above the second apron like they used to.

« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2024, 05:16:02 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Looking at next year,  is there any real advantage to being just barely under the 2nd apron (say by $100K)  vs.   being over the 2nd apron?

Obviously the bigger the payroll the more you pay in monetary luxury tax.
And if over the 2nd apron you start your team's clock for maybe getting a future 1st round draft pick pushed to the end of the draft.

But in terms of wheeling and dealing, if you are already up against the 2nd apron, isn't that very similar to being over the 2nd apron in terms of limitations?

What am I missing here?

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2024, 05:16:54 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
duplicate post, sorry

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2024, 05:21:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Looking at next year,  is there any real advantage to being just barely under the 2nd apron (say by $100K)  vs.   being over the 2nd apron?

And if over the 2nd apron you start your team's clock for maybe getting a future 1st round draft pick pushed to the end of the draft.

But in terms of wheeling and dealing, if you are already up against the 2nd apron, isn't that very similar to being over the 2nd apron in terms of limitations?

What am I missing here?

« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2024, 05:22:49 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973

What am I missing here?

You can go above the second apron with no long-term penalties (draft pick restrictions) once every several years.  The advantage to being under next year is that it would let us be over in a future year without penalty.  It seems a given the Celtics will be over at least once in the next two seasons, so dodging it next year means that in 2025-2026, when Tatum’s supermax kicks in, we could go into the second apron more safely.

In other words, if it’s a $100k issue to get under the apron, they should get under it.  If it’s millions, probably they’ll wind up in it.