Author Topic: Celtics (29-13) at Magic (29-16) 1/28  (Read 118061 times)

Celtics (29-13) at Magic (29-16) 1/28
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (28-13) at Orlando Magic (28-16)
Thursday, January 28
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #42, Road Game #20
TV:  TNT
Radio:  WEEI,  WDBO, ESPNR
Amway Arena

Constructed in the late 1980s, the home of the Orlando Magic is one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.   Located in downtown Orlando, the facility was originally known as the Orlando Arena, and nicknamed O-Rena. The Magic played their first game at the arena on November 4, 1989 in a loss against the New Jersey Nets. At a cost of $198 million, the Orlando Arena was completely publicly financed. Since its opening, the arena has had several names from being known as the TD Waterhouse Centre to its current name, Amway Arena. Amway recently agreed to a four year, $1.5 million agreement to name the facility. It has a seating capacity of 17,248 in two levels with 26 luxury suites on the third level. One main concourse serves both main levels for games. The Magic recently announced plans for a new arena to be constructed as Amway Arena does not have enough seating and luxury suites like other arenas in the NBA. At a cost of $480 million, the arena is expected to be completed by the 2010 season.

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo  14.2 PPG   9.7 APG   2.5 SPG
Jameer Nelson   11.8 PPG   4.8 APG  0.8 SPG

Shooting Guard
vs
Ray Allen   15.9 PPG   2.9 APG  .345 3P%
Vince Carter  16.4 PPG   3.0 APG   .306 3P%

Small Forward
vs
Paul Pierce   18.9 PPG  4,8 RPG  3.6 APG 
Matt Barnes  8.7 PPG  5.8 RPG   1.7 APG

Power Forward 
vs
Keven Garnett  15.0 PPG   7.3 RPG  0.9 BPG
Rashard Lewis   14.7 PPG  4.9 RPG  .5 BPG

Center
vs
Kendrick Perkins  12.0 PPG   8.5 RPG   2.1 BPG
Dwight Howard   17.4 PPG  13.3 RPG  2.6 BPG 

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Bill Walker
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis
Tony Allen   

Injuries
Marquis Daniels (thumb)  out

D League
JR Giddens

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Mickael Pietrus
Jameer Nelson
JJ Redick
Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass
Anthony Johnson

Injuries
Adonal Foyle  (knee) day to day
JJ Redick  (head) probable

Team Connections
 Doc Rivers coached the Magic from 1999-2004, winning the NBA’s Coach of the Year award in his first season (1999-2000)
Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen were teammates in Seattle from 2003-07
Anthony Johnson and Brian Scalabrine were teammates in New Jersey from 2001-03
Anthony Johnson played for Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season
Vince Carter and Brian Scalabrine were teammates in New Jersey during the 2004-05 season
Vince Carter and Rasheed Wallace are former North Carolina Tar Heels
Anthony Johnson and Shelden Williams were teammates in Atlanta and
Sacramento from 2006-08

Key Matchups

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard 
This is the key matchup between these two teams.  Slowing down Dwight Howard and keeping him off of his favorite spots around the basket is key to slowing down the Magic.  Perk is one of the few centers in the league who has been able to cover Howard one on one.  The Celtics need Perk to contain Howard with single coverage as the Magic have so many outside threats, it is dangerous to double off of any of them. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett  vs  Rashard Lewis 
Another key matchup between these two teams is at the power forward spot.  KG and Lewis both have the ability to play on the perimeter as well as taking the ball inside. If Perk does his job on Howard,  the Magic will turn to Lewis for more of it's offense and so the Celtics will need KG to be on his game on the defensive end to keep Lewis from putting up big numbers. 

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson
Rondo sets the tone for the Celtics on both ends of the court.    With Nelson back in the lineup, it will be a tough matchup for Rondo.  He needs to come in focused and stay aggressive on offense while keeping Nelson from getting into his comfort zone. 

Game Notes
• The Celtics and Magic are currently tied in the season series 1-1; the Celtics split the season series 2-2 with Orlando during the 2008-09 season
• Paul Pierce netted 21 points in his only game against the Magic this season
• Vince Carter is averaging 26.5 points per game against the C’s this season
• The Celtics are 9-11 against the Magic since the 2004-05 season
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 43-38 with the Celtics 29-11 at home

Both the Celtics and Magic are 5-5 in their last 10 games.  The Celtics have won their last 2 and the Magic are coming off of a loss to the Grizzlies.  Both teams last played on Monday.  The Magic are a good home team with a 16-4 record, with one of those 4 losses coming at the hands of the Celtics on Christmas Day.  The Celtics have been a good road team as well with a 16-6 record on the road. 

The Celtics are finally getting close to full strength but are still missing a key player in Marquis Daniels.  The Magic are at full strength as well.  In their last meeting on Christmas Day, the Celtics pulled out a win without Paul Pierce as Tony Allen came through with 18 points and Perk held Dwight Howard to just 5 points.    5 Celtics scored in double figures and they will need another team effort to win this game.

With another tough game in Atlanta on Friday, the Celtics bench is going to have to come through for the team in order to allow the starters to get some rest so that they have something left for the next night. 

Keys to the Game
Focus - The Celtics' focus has waivered at times and when it happens at the start of games, they fall into a hole that they spend the rest of the game digging out of.  When it happens in the middle of games, they give up leads and allow other teams to go on a run.   But, when the Celtics put their mind to it and focus especially on the defensive end, they can shut down any team in the league and win going away.   The Celtics need to come out focused and keep their focus for 48 minutes.

Defense - Defense is the key to winning. Period. The Celtics have shown that they have the capability of shutting down teams and when they play tough defense, the offense runs more smoothly.  But when they falter on defense, it seems as though their game suffers on both ends.  Perk's defense inside will be especially important in this game to keep Howard from having a big game.   

Rebound - Dwight Howard can take over a game on rebounds and putbacks alone if the Celtics don't box him out and crash the boards as a team.   The Celtics have been giving up a lot of rebounds in recent games.  They have to commit as a team to crashing the boards.   Rebounding takes effort and desire and the Celtics must show both if they want to win this game.

Ball Movement - The Celtics need to move the ball and find the open man. When they have their passing game going, they are hard to beat. If they resort to too much dribbling and too many iso's, it will allow the Magic defenses to set up and the Celtics will struggle to score. 

Re: Celtics (29-13) at Magic (29-16) 1/28
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We will win because we are the better team, and the magic are going through some stuff.

They are really missing Hedo right now.

Tp on the thread FL.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Mixed feelings....
lol
kidding

Go Cs destroy Magic

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
P.S>  extra TP because alejandro have that same pacifier

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for post, FLCeltsFan and TP4U!

My comfort level is in knowing that P2 will be back this game, and ORL will have to contend with that.

I'm confident that Perk will continue to slow down Dwight, and KG will do same for Lewis.

We should be able to pull out another close one over a quality team like ORL. Game 3 of our Gauntlet starts tomorrow.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
in other news I dont care that much what happens tomorrow but we have to make Atlanta pay next day from tomorrow

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
in other news I dont care that much what happens tomorrow but we have to make Atlanta pay next day from tomorrow

Amen...that's the game I want the most. Beating them in ATL on Friday will send them a clear message that even though they are an extremely talented team, they are not invincible.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im gonna have ta get 3 40's for this one..

and a couple of mickey d's double chezz burgers

we got alot to prove on this one..i really want to see sheed step up his game..

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
want to win all 3..but i want to beat atlanta and the lakers

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:06 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Havent checked into CB all that much recently. Just bought a house and working alot. KG actually made me jump off my seat the other game in the 2nd half when he made that phenomenal defensive play on a fast break and screamed like a madman until the entire Garden responded. I think the team, and my energy is renewed for the home stretch. I predict 2 blowouts tomorrow night and Friday, and a squeaker past LA. Go green.

Oh yeah and TP for the game preview of course!

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
want to win all 3..but i want to beat atlanta and the lakers

i might get beat up up here in the west coast talkin smack bout beatin the lakers..po po laff at my celtic's  throw back when i went to del taco...

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I want to win all of these games equally, I'm not worried about the season record against any specific opponent. I just want the Celtics to start playing championship basketball and get the best seed possible.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great set-up, Florida ... can't wait for this one, I've been dying to see my Boyz play again! We're on a big win-steak, I can feel it! Can't believe you found pics of NBA logo-style baby binkies ... those have to be near the top of the list of most unique set-up pics you've come up with! ;) (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
One of 3 need to win games!
Hope to get big productions from Ray.
You can do it Celts!

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Great set-up, Florida ... can't wait for this one, I've been dying to see my Boyz play again! We're on a big win-steak, I can feel it! Can't believe you found pics of NBA logo-style baby binkies ... those have to be near the top of the list of most unique set-up pics you've come up with! ;) (TP)

yes
Alejandro owns that pacifier
and beleive me it was his favorite
It in the blood.

Nice to be back!