Author Topic: Things that make me irrationally angry (ESPN)  (Read 2094 times)

Things that make me irrationally angry (ESPN)
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like rumors and discussing trades. You all know that. So I read the rumors section on ESPN frequently.

But nothing boils my blood like stupid errors that an unpaid but intelligent fan like me can instantly spot.

Today, some idiot wrote the following:

Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant is torching defenses to the tune of nearly 30 points per night on 48 percent shooting, and is grabbing more than seven rebounds per contest as the Thunder vie for the final playoff spot out west.

Durant is just 21 and dazzles crowds nightly, but at 25, LeBron James isn't near ready to hand any torch to Durant as the game's best young player. Saturday night, James showed why, scoring 37 to Durant's 34, and adding 12 assists and nine rebounds as Cleveland nipped OKC 100-99.

As time expired, James blocked Durant's attempt at a game-winner after playing point guard most of the night.

Durant is developing into a great player in his own right, but King James has what appears to be light years left in the tank. But here's a thought: Durant is a restricted free agent at season's end and could become an unrestricted free agent after next year. Maybe the two can play together somewhere?

Now, it's not the fact that Lebron is Clearly the better player and is himself still very young that is upsetting.

Rather, it's the fact that SOMEONE IS WRITING ABOUT THE NBA AND GETTING PUBLISHED ON THE BIGGEST SPORTS NETWORK IN THE WORLD AND DOESN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THE ROOKIE SCALE WORKS OR CAN'T COUNT THAT DURANT IS ONLY IN HIS 3RD YEAR!!!!!

Ummm... it's pretty frickin easy to figure out. Rookies get 2 years guaranteed. Then they get 2 years of team option. Then they are restricted free agents. After year 5, if they haven't signed an extension, they are an unrestricted free agent. HEY BUDDY, THAT'S 2 AND A HALF YEARS FROM NOW!

And this doesn't even address the fact that any team splurging for James will definitely not also be angling for max-contract caproom in 2 and a half years.

Couldn't they at least have someone who knows the basic rules make up B.S. rumors?

Anyway, here is what i wrote to their ombudsman:
I realize that the "Rumors" section in each sport is just that: a "Rumors" section, but isn't there at least a small iota of fact-checking and proof reading?

Today, taglined "Buzz," someone wrote that "But here's a thought: Durant is a restricted free agent at season's end and could become an unrestricted free agent after next year. Maybe the two can play together somewhere?"

I'm not a writer or editor; I'm a fan. But even I know that Durant is in his 3rd year, will be a restricted free agent after NEXT year, and will be an unrestricted free agent after this season AND TWO MORE end.

The NBA salary cap and rookie scale is REALLY well explained and easy to understand. How do errors like this get published? It really diminishes any credibility of an already dubious section; can't your editors at least know the basic rules of the sport for which they are publishing rumors?

Re: Things that make me irrationally angry (ESPN)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I hear you.  It amazes me how often people who write for the NBA for a living mess things up.  A lot of the media doesn't understand the trade rules, the CBA, key dates, etc.  It gets a bit frustrating, but thank goodness for Celticsblog, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I hear you.  It amazes me how often people who write for the NBA for a living mess things up.  A lot of the media doesn't understand the trade rules, the CBA, key dates, etc.  It gets a bit frustrating, but thank goodness for Celticsblog, right?

Exactly. It's cool that a lot of the stuff lifted from people hear is equal to or better than stuff on ESPN.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Tsk. Maybe you should get in the business.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I hear you. I recently participated in a Boston.com chat with Gary Washburn where he was talking about Ray's expiring contract creating cap space for the Cs to consider signing a major free agent this offseason.

Seriously? The guy doesn't just cover the NBA, he covers the Cs. And he doesn't have a basic grasp of our cap situaiton.

I emailed with him to explain that considering the signing of Sheed and Rondo's extension, that the Cs would actually not have cap space. He then started fudging by saying he meant they could use the MLE while maintaining the entirety of this years squad. I had to explain to him how the Cs do not have Daniels' or Williams' Bird Rights and therefore would have to use the MLE if they planned to keep them. I'm still not sure he understood what I was saying.

Pretty absurd. It's not that complicated.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Clearly, these guys haven't been reading Celticsblog or they would've picked up on the nuances of the NBA.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Clearly, these guys haven't been reading Celticsblog or they would've picked up on the nuances of the NBA.   ;)

Haha.  Hey, at least the Celtics writers can read the FAQ before every season.  We try to be as comprehensive as possible around here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I agree. I see this happening all the time. I remember this offseason that someone published the wrong information about Shelden Williams' contract. If they don't know, they just make up some nonsense and that's what gets me. It's just funny because I try to fact check my message board posts or I'll get killed and these guys get PAID to publish news/rumors/info.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Im the first to admit im not a stats guy or ever looked at numbers,statistics as a way to measure a player's ability but since being a member at CB ive learn a lot about such things as "Bird Rights,plus,minus,cap room(space),etc.and admit it does make you more knowledgable about players,the entire NBA game.From reading the various threads,especially moderators posts,and some other knowledgable posters here you can't help but absorb some of it.I find myself making more convincing points to people i deal with in real life when debating things NBA related,and it also has spilled over into NFL and MLB conversations.Thanks to Roy and others for bringing all the rational conversation to the blog.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:27:12 PM by housecall »