Poll

Which of these trades with a Western Conference team would you prefer for Ray Ray?

HOU:  Ariza/Battier/Cook
2 (13.3%)
GSW:  Maggette/Monta Ellis
5 (33.3%)
T-Pups:  Al/Gomes/Pavlovic
1 (6.7%)
NO:  Okafor/Posey/Collison
3 (20%)
Queens:  Martin/Udrich/Hawes
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Hypothetical salary dumps for Ray Allen  (Read 5532 times)

Hypothetical salary dumps for Ray Allen
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not favoring any of these in particular, but, in case nobody's noticed, I don't think Ray is untouchable this year.  Each of these works in a straight up trade for Ray, according to ESPN's checker, and seem to return much more talent in exchange for Ray's salary relief.  Not sure what's possible, just going hypothetical here.

It's okay, folks.  Go ahead and vote.  We can all love Ray without being "in love" with him.

Re: Hypothetical salary dumps for Ray Allen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think you're greatly over-estimating the value of Ray's expiring contract.

There's no way that Houston entertains that offer, nor would Minnesota.  It's very doubtful that Sacramento would, either, especially with Hawes included.

New Orleans might, since Okafor isn't that good and Posey is playing poorly there.  I'm skeptical that Golden State would move their players in a straight dump, but they could.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If a team is in a bad financial situation, I think Ray and our 2011 first round draft pick might be enough to land an All-Star caliber player.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If a team is in a bad financial situation, I think Ray and our 2011 first round draft pick might be enough to land an All-Star caliber player.

It might be enough to get a guy like Jamison, or Troy Murphy, although its not guaranteed.  However, I don't think it will get us an all-star caliber shooting guard who could fill Ray's shoes.  Maybe if we took back multiple bad contracts from Sacramento for Kevin Martin (a worse defender than Ray, and injured frequently), but that's about the only one I see.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

There's no way that Houston entertains that offer, nor would Minnesota.  It's very doubtful that Sacramento would, either, especially with Hawes included.

New Orleans might, since Okafor isn't that good and Posey is playing poorly there.  I'm skeptical that Golden State would move their players in a straight dump, but they could.

Jeez, Roy.  You must have missed Posey getting hugs all around for making the game winning play last night?  The NO hypothetical is probably the most available scenario.  It could be the proverbial trade that helps both teams.  We could get our defensive identity back!!!

I have no idea why Minnesota does that deal either, but Kahn was a knucklehead over the summer, and maybe he's dumb enough to keep trying to erase everything McHale did there.  He might also realize that the triangle is a one-post offense, and keep Love.  But really, I just like those players as a fan and want them back.

Sacramento:  only if their financial back was against the wall.  It might be.  I wouldn't hold my breath for Hawes, though.

Houston:  This would be an 11th hour deadline deal, once they realize that, as spunky as they are, they're still going nowhere.  With no state income taxes in Texas, warm weather, and already having T-Mac expire, they could be movers this summer.  If Yao is done, they might blow it up and trade role players, which Battier and Ariza are, for a chance at stars.  So...it's possible, if unlikely, but all trades are unlikely.

Sometimes, I really can't figure why GM's do what they do.  But I think we forget how we got Ray in the first place.  The Sonics could have kept Ray, Rashard Lewis, and Kevin Durant, and been a very, very good team (they had a stable of hustling bigs and good journeyman PG's), but instead chose to start over.  These trades may be unlikely, but so was getting him in the first place.  With financial problems and the FA's in play this summer, someone might make that Godfather deal, with some picks and window dressing to pretty it up.  We would be wise to listen.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Detroit: Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince for Ray Allen

Phoenix: Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley for Ray Allen

Dallas: Josh Howard and Jason Terry for Ray Allen

Charlotte: Stephen Jackson, Nazr Mohammed and DJ Augustin for Ray Allen and Shelden Williams

Granted I don't think any of these are too likely but they're just as likely as the others listed

I think...
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
All these scenarios seem like wishful thinking.  I think, of the five, that the New Orleans deal is probably the most realistic of the choices.

Don't see any of it happening, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I thought I wasn't a fan of Corey Maggette but have you seen his statline this year?  20 pts on 55% shooting with 8+FTA in 30 minutes per.  And he's killing on the boards too.

I don't think Ray's enough to fetch Maggette and Ellis, but I think he could potentially fetch Maggette with the contracts of Turiaf and Radmanovich tacked on.  Golden St. becomes a player in the 2010 free agent class by wiping 20 mil off the books and the C's add athleticism, defense and some rebounding for the price of toting the Radman around for a year.

Rondo/Maggette/Pierce/KG/Perk with House/Daniels/Turiaf/Sheed isn't bad, with TA/Radman/Baby as the deep bench.

EDIT: Should we move this to the Ray Allen trade ideas thread? or vice versa?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:39:04 PM by snively »
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Hypothetical salary dumps for Ray Allen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »

Offline NatDSZene

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
M. Harrison - 2nd rounder
B. Marshall - 3rd rounder
C. Chambers - 4th rounder

Will also consider dealing:
R. Johnson - 2nd Rounder
R. Grant - 4th rounder

...or best offer  THESE ARE STEALS.  Most of these players would go in the 1st round next year

-LL

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Charlotte: Stephen Jackson, Nazr Mohammed and DJ Augustin for Ray Allen and Shelden Williams

Granted I don't think any of these are too likely but they're just as likely as the others listed

I think...

I like the Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley one.  Don't see why Phoenix does this though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Well put. NO would do the deal in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't touch it. Everyone else laughs at the offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I think...

I like the Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley one.  Don't see why Phoenix does this though.
I like the Phoenix one too.  It's much more realistic than some of the others, especially the Dallas one.  Phoenix is listening to offers for Amare, so maybe they would bite.
I agree with snively about Maggette.  I never liked him but he is getting his numbers extremely efficiently this year on a team where guys like Monta Ellis have a green light to take 30 shots.