Author Topic: What tonight's win tells us  (Read 7637 times)

What tonight's win tells us
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Just some quick observations I have in mind. Feel free to add yours !

- KG looked great in his return on both ends. His jumpshot is nowhere near existent right now but rust will do that. He limped late in the game but I think it was due to his lack of conditioning - nothing to worry about. He ran very quickly and well during the game, and even went to his traditional fadeaway that we had not seen in while.

- We didn't collapse in the third quarter, and got things even (19-19), keeping our halftime lead of 5 points. You could say it's a disappointment but don't forget KG played something like one minute in the third since he got his 4th foul and quickly went back to the  bench. So basically, we had the same lineup as in the previous games, in KG's absence, in the 3rd. We did a good job defensively but once again failed to hit shots or to get quality shots.

Too many 3's come to mind, turnovers too.

- We collapsed in the 4th. Once again, too many threes to start the game, or jumpshots. Blazers benefited from some calls too (like the Webster's 3 free throws after he moved his leg to get the call).

We couldn't stop Miller's penetrations. We once again had good plays (Rondo steal comes to mind) and poor plays (repeated turnovers). Basically kept the Blazers right back in the game.

- Rondo was great for the most part but I think he could have played better D on Miller and I kept saying he should have gone on Miller offensively everytime because he could beat him easily with his quickness. Rondo had great plays (steal) and surprising bad plays (his missed layup to ice the game, turnovers).

- We couldn't get a rebound to save our lives tonight. Some were lucky bounces for the Blazers but for the most part we didn't box out or hang on to the rares boards we got. Really a concern.

- Pierce isos are not a good choice as of late. They always result in turnovers or badly missed shot (often airballs). Tonight it cost us another key possession (to get the game winning basket) and fouled out Paul.

- We played great D on the final Blazers inbound play of the 4th, and avoided a Blazers buzzer beater.

- We kept our composure in OT, even down 2 with 30 seconds to play. Doc kept going to Ray when he was ice cold and it paid big time. I have ton confess I even said "Don't give the ball to Ray" while I always say to go to him in the clutch, but he sucked badly and had no confidence AT ALL in his shot. Never seen him struggle like that before.

- Ray made the big three and then got a huge possession on a hustle play where he threw it to TA for a big dunk (3 point lead).

- I liked Doc's coaching. Stayed with TA on Miller. Didn't always work but he limited him well. Doc didn't hesitate to bench Rasheed who jacked threes at an alarming rate and nearly lost his mind with the refs.

All in all, this is not the great redemption game we were expecting, especially against a depleted Blazers team. Our recurrent and fundamental flaws (rebounding, turnovers, execution down the stretch and in the second half) were still there.

But we won it after nearly collapsing for the 3rd game in a row, so it's a good thing. And sometimes you get your mojo and your winning streaks back after grinding a win out.

By the way, the Blazers are really impressive. They basically had a 8 player rotation, down to 7 when Bayless left the game after getting hurt, and they nearly won the game. Show you what hustle and heart are all about, McMillans deserves strong considerations for coach of the year.

I can finally go to bed happy after a Celtics win. It had been a long time... hopefully it will be the first win of a streak to come. :)

Re: What tonight's win tells us
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Great post, Drucci. Can't even add anything but wanted to applaud your effort for making a well thought out post.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Mostly true, but I think it also tells us that unless healthy we aren't near as good as we think we are. Did we really struggle to beat a mediocre Portland team without their star?! We need Daniels to come back (offensively TA was okay, but I don't agree with saying TA played good defense on Miller. He was getting burned all night by him and Webster) and have KG at full strength in order to truly be a contender. If we play like we played tonight we will be out quick. At least there is some hope though. KG isn't back completely, but he does help even when he is not 100%.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I think tonight KG looked very good for his first game back. However, he didn't seem to get the usual height on his jumps, his dream shake was very very slow, and he seemed very hesitant to fight for rebounds in traffic. But I'm hoping these issues are just rust and part of the healing process. The Celtics had that energy tonight that when the game was close I remained confident in our team to pull one out. Lately, that confidence just isn't there. Overall, I'm glad the Celtics look like the Celtics again.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:04:25 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Re: Pierce's isos:

I know it's not a good long-term solution, but I was actually glad he had fouled out tonight going into OT so there wouldn't be an alpha dog battle between he and Rondo in OT. Obviously we're best with both on the floor playing off each other, but Pierce has been less than ubuntu down the stretch of games of late.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Re: Pierce's isos:

I know it's not a good long-term solution, but I was actually glad he had fouled out tonight going into OT so there wouldn't be an alpha dog battle between he and Rondo in OT. Obviously we're best with both on the floor playing off each other, but Pierce has been less than ubuntu down the stretch of games of late.

I remember in the past seasons during last possessions iso's Pierce would start his move with 10 seconds left on the clock and hit game winners or find the open man. Now he seems to always start much later, around 7 seconds, dribble into traffic, have no where to go, lose the dribble, and turn the ball over.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
very interesting .......... and right on target with the continuing basic flaws this team has developed this season.

my thoughts on the Celts are that this is a tired basketball team - not from this season, but from the toll the past three seasons has taken on an older and injury-proned team that this championship group of Celtics are.

they are tired mentally and emotionally more than physically. this group is a grind-it-out team, both offensively and defensively. they have to work very hard to play well and to look good. they do not get a lot of easy baskets, just not their style. they win by grinding the other team into the ground with their defense. this team has always been a little painful to watch on offense. i said that back in the championship season. after awhile, that type of style, which takes so much emotional focus and energy to play, will take the life out of a team. throw in their age and the fact that they have had to fight thru long stretches without key players and the result can turn out like the breakdown we have seen during the past month.

i think last season's stretch run and playoff struggle without garnett took a lot out of this team. throw in the fact that it is january, the "heaviest" month of the nba season, and you have even more wear and tear on the Celtics.

finally, i'm afraid that rasheed wallace does not fit with this team. this is a proud bunch of players who play very hard for each other and sacrifice for each other. wallace has a basic lazy, selfish nature that does not fit. his energy detracts from the team instead of boosting it. his temper and bad behavior has turned into a distraction. he doesn't work hard and is not a grinder. really, the guy has always been a bit of a front-runner and that definitely is not this teams personality.

thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. i'll be with the Celts, as always, til the end.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Tonight's win tells me that the C's had to go to overtime at home to beat a depleted Portland team with 8 players. It tells me that the problems are much depper than KG. It tells me that if at least one of our two shooting guards don't get it going soon, this team is going nowhere beyond the first or second round of the playoffs. It tells me that KG is incredibly important to this team on both ends, but we already know that.

I am happy, but not excited at all about this win tonight.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Tonight's win tells me that the C's had to go to overtime at home to beat a depleted Portland team with 8 players. It tells me that the problems are much depper than KG. It tells me that if at least one of our two shooting guards don't get it going soon, this team is going nowhere beyond the first or second round of the playoffs. It tells me that KG is incredibly important to this team on both ends, but we already know that.

All of the lineup changes have knocked the team out of sync. I don't think the problems go too deep although I'm also getting a little concerned about Ray.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Perk and KG couldn't take advantage of undermanned Portland front-line.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »

Offline jadams5214

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
It has been talked about that the Celtics have been fatigued which has contributed to their poor play in the second halves of games.  Unfortunately it now appears they are an old and tired team which is much worse.  They had plenty of rest after the Chicago game and have only played every other day after the 3 days break.  

Yet they continue to struggle after halftime which shows a much deeper issue.  Against Detroit they played well offensively only to come out with only 30 second half points.  Tonight after another solid offensive half the C's could only muster 36 second half points.  The drop off has been startling and it must be a combination of the opposition figuring out what the C's are doing and easily stopping it and that the team can't sustain enough energy to keep playing well offensively.  The Celtic offense is predicated on movement and sharing the ball which has obviously disappeared in recent games after halftime.  It also plays into the poor 4th quarter execution as the Celtics cannot close out games.  Tonight in the last few minutes they had a stretch of getting 1 score in 5 key possessions due to turnovers, the only bucket was off a Rondo breakaway.

And once again keep in mind this homecourt win for a relatively healthy Celtic team came against a Portland team missing it's top scorer and team leader in Brandon Roy.  Missing their top 2 centers and only inside presence in Oden and Pryzbilla.  Missing Batum and a key reserve in Outlaw.  And having their starting 2 guard Bayless get hurt tonight.  The Blazers were as depleted as a team can get and still had a great chance to win this game which is not a good sign when looking at the bigger picture...

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I also want to point out that the mighty Indiana Pacers tonight rolled over Detroit, at Detroit. So what does that Celtics loss to Detroit tell us? I am hoping big time that this team turns it around and can get on a roll, because I simply do not believe in this play like crap and win just enough games through the regular season and then they can turn it on during the playoffs and win it all. Way too many problems on this team right now -- from rebounding, to turnovers, to horrendous shooting from our 2 guards, to second half comas.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

All of the lineup changes have knocked the team out of sync. I don't think the problems go too deep although I'm also getting a little concerned about Ray.

I've been concerned. The guy is clutch but not worth what he's getting paid.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I really think that Ray is injured...he's just not himself the last few games. And knowing him he won't tell anyone.

He hasn't shot the ball well last few games, but he'll snap out of it.

And tonight proves that he's still Clutch with a Capital "C" ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I really think that Ray is injured...he's just not himself the last few games. And knowing him he won't tell anyone.

He hasn't shot the ball well last few games, but he'll snap out of it.

And tonight proves that he's still Clutch with a Capital "C" ;D

I've checked WebMD. They don't classify old legs as an injury.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird