Author Topic: Blade Runner  (Read 5596 times)

Blade Runner
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I saw this movie for the first time 6 months ago after hearing a lot of good reviews about it. I liked it but didn't see why everybody called it a "masterpiece".

I've re-watched it two weeks ago (the final cut version) and I'm still admirative of the brilliance and the genius of this movie. My second viewing just got me totally involved and fascinated in the story and the atmosphere.

It's basically the first time that I want to re-watch a movie just after having seen it or the following evening. Talk about fascination and enjoyment! I think it definitely ranks as my favorite movie, period. I've never felt that way about a movie before although I have several "all-time" favorites.

I just find the whole ambience, the atmosphere, the characters, the cynism, the city, the lanscape, the storyline, the end, the suspense, the dialogs... brilliant. And quite visionary since it got released in 1982!

Not to mention the soundtrack which is excellent, totally in adequation with the movie, and really great by itself.

I will stop my long praise here but I'm wondering if you guys saw the movie and what's your opinion about it?

And if you haven't seen it, I think you have guessed I HIGHLY recommend it. A pure masterpiece, which may not impress you at first, but a second viewing sure does in my opinion!

Re: Blade Runner
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

I saw this movie for the first time 6 months ago after hearing a lot of good reviews about it. I liked it but didn't see why everybody called it a "masterpiece".

I've re-watched it two weeks ago (the final cut version) and I'm still admirative of the brilliance and the genius of this movie. My second viewing just got me totally involved and fascinated in the story and the atmosphere.

It's basically the first time that I want to re-watch a movie just after having seen it or the following evening. Talk about fascination and enjoyment! I think it definitely ranks as my favorite movie, period. I've never felt that way about a movie before although I have several "all-time" favorites.

I just find the whole ambience, the atmosphere, the characters, the cynism, the city, the lanscape, the storyline, the end, the suspense, the dialogs... brilliant. And quite visionary since it got released in 1982!

Not to mention the soundtrack which is excellent, totally in adequation with the movie, and really great by itself.

I will stop my long praise here but I'm wondering if you guys saw the movie and what's your opinion about it?

And if you haven't seen it, I think you have guessed I HIGHLY recommend it. A pure masterpiece, which may not impress you at first, but a second viewing sure does in my opinion!

brilliant vision of a dystopian future.
also check out "Dark City"

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kErpqcszA68   ridley scott interview

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Blade Runner has always been a cult favorite, especially for sci-fi lovers.  However, it's hardly a masterpiece when put up against the full cannon of films ever made. It has a great cast and doesn't disappoint on the action and effects. However, it's based on a sci-fi book that isn't exactly everybody's cup of tea.

As Drucci mentioned, you need to keep in mind that there are two versions of this film that circulate around, so you have to be careful.  Blade Runner: The Director's Cut, receives much higher praise than the original studio theatrical release.  The studio hacked the end to bits for various reasons such as running time and it hurt the film's box office and its critical reception.

Stick to the Ridley Scott's version and you might at least see why so many like it.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
wait this is a masterpiece in the sci-fi world and which other movie you are talking about ?

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Great flick, IMO. Then again, my favorite movie ever is Inland Empire. Which nobody likes.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
This movie was so well made for its time. The effects were brilliant, but it also had an intriguing storyline to boot. It raises a lot of questions about what makes up a human being, if rights should be granted only to humans, or to every other living being as well, etc. etc...

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great, great movie (at least the Director's Cut is).  And from Philip K. Dick, one of my favorite authors of all-time. <kanye> OF ALL TIME!!! </kanye>

If folks are interested in old-school sci-fi movies, I was just reading that a new remastered version of Metropolis is being released sometime in the past year.  Metropolis is very, very old school (1927) but is visually remarkable and you can see how it directly inspired other science fiction films up until the modern day.  Apparently they've tracked down and restored ~30 minutes of footage that was believed lost until today.  Worth checking out.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
One of my all-time favorite movies.

First saw it when I was like 8 or something and hated it, because I didn't understand at all what was going on and didn't care for the dark setting.

Fast forward a decade or so later, I watched the film again in an undergrad film class and it blew my mind how great this film is.

There are so many references and "Easter eggs" in this film that it needs to be watched multiple times.

I think I will watch it again this weekend or in the coming week.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:26 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Just saw this for the first time a few weeks ago.  Loved it.  The design of the futuristic city was just fantastic.  I think I enjoyed the director's cut more, mostly because it doesn't have all of the unnecessary narration.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I watched it last year, and I expected better but enjoyed it quite a bit. I saw it on Bluray and it was beautiful.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
It's really cool to see all these answers and positive opinions on the movie! I think I will watch it again tonight, It makes me want to see it again even more.

As for the question to know if it's only a sci-fi masterpiece or a movie masterpiece in general, I think it's definitely a movie masterpierce, regardless of its sci-fi category.

I have not seen a lot of movies known as masterpieces but the few that I've seen really didn't impress me (like Once upon a time in the West that I found totally boring, I couldn't even watch till the end), except for Blade Runner, which made a big impact on me.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I remember watching this movie when it first came out and was very disappointed. Then when the Director's cut came out I gave it another shoot and loved it. I'm not sure it's because I'm older and came appreciate the strangeness of the film or that the directors cut is than much better. I did order last week the 5 disk blu-ray edition with both cuts of the film and I'll see for sure when it comes in.
For those of you that like Red Dwarf they did a good parody of this on their come back special last year also.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
I talked about the great soundtrack from the movie in my first post, it contributes a lot to the atmosphere and it's just another masterpiece, so it's worth listening to it, even if you never saw the movie I think.

Here are some of the best themes :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uUyfFvpL9E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmoe3PPIuwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBKbhrniUQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkys6xY_l88&feature=related

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Triple post to say that I watched the movie once again tonight and it was as brilliant as before. Really can't add much ; you should watch it if you've never seen it!