Author Topic: district 9  (Read 8698 times)

Re: district 9
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:04 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought it was a good film too, turned into an action movie at the end or last quarter.

B+

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I thought that it was a big budget ripoff of Alien Nation. Also,there is nobody in the film that I could care about.   

I did not like this film.

For a modest thoughtful sci fi film, go see Duncan Jones's MOON.

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I missed the first couple of minutes...Why were the aliens on earth?  Why were they so easy to capture?  Why didn't the aliens use their kickass weapons to avoid being captured?
Yup

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Spoilers

What was the deal with the ship?  It's carry a million aliens who are all starving, most of whom seem like complete morons?  How does a society of beings advanced enough to have intergalactic space flight have so many idiots?

And why did we allow the aliens to bring their weapons with them?  (I'm presuming they brought them with them, because they were searching for "their technology", complete with fuel sources.  Obviously, these came from the ship.)  And if the aliens had their weapons, why weren't they using them to revolt?

Any then, at the end, when CJ leaves with his son in that *huge* ship, why doesn't he attempt to bring any other aliens with him?  And the excuse that "we need all the fuel we have to get home as quickly as possible" for a reason not to heal the hybrid guy?  How much extra fuel could it have possibly taken on the year and a half trip back home?

I don't know, the plot holes, the preachyness, and the documentary style kept me from enjoying this movie as much as some others did.  Overall, though, it was entertaining enough, after the slow beginning.

End spoilers.

Gee Roy if humanity built a ship and put a million workers/soldiers on it with the few with the knowledge to run the ship my guess is an alien would think we were all pretty stupid.

Hell, I think the average person is a complete moron. Since I know the average person isn't a Celtic fan I am sure I broke no rules here because there's no way anyone who is a Celtic fan is a moron. ;D

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 04:39:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I missed the first couple of minutes...Why were the aliens on earth?  Why were they so easy to capture?  Why didn't the aliens use their kickass weapons to avoid being captured?

Basically the ship came into our atmosphere, stopped and sat there for 6 months.  The aliens didn't fight at all, they were all just huddled in the ship slowly starving.  The prawns are generally unintelligent and unmotivated - the idea is there is a leader caste that directs and coordinates the lower castes, like with ants and bees.  Without the upper castes the prawns that are left can't really think much for themselves beyond basic survival and simple pleasures (catfood and hookers apparently).  The main alien and his son were exceptions to this though it's never explained exactly why.

I might have to go see this one again, it was the best movie I've seen in quite awhile.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Basically the ship came into our atmosphere, stopped and sat there for 6 months.  The aliens didn't fight at all, they were all just huddled in the ship slowly starving.  The prawns are generally unintelligent and unmotivated - the idea is there is a leader caste that directs and coordinates the lower castes, like with ants and bees.  Without the upper castes the prawns that are left can't really think much for themselves beyond basic survival and simple pleasures (catfood and hookers apparently).  The main alien and his son were exceptions to this though it's never explained exactly why.

I might have to go see this one again, it was the best movie I've seen in quite awhile.

Thanks for filling in the blanks a bit.

Now I just need cdif to fill me in on what I missed in the trailers  :D
Yup

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
sorry for the delay on my part, i was on vacation all week.

thought the film was ok.  i thought it had a lot of promise in the beginning, until he started turning into an alien.  from that point on, it got a little "hokie" for me.  im sure there will be a crappy sequel.  its worth renting on dvd, but not worth the money to see it in the cinema, imo.  and im a sci-fi guy  :-\

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

NSFW trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071KqJu7WVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUD-PFm07SI

Here are two trailers for Zombieland which I definitely want to see.

The movie wasn't as good as I was expecting, but I was still entertained.

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline brodes

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1

To respond the leader caste thing, a person earlier was saying that it was assumed that all the smarter ones had died. The main alien and his kid WERE the leader caste that everyone thought had died. That's what I gathered from their ability to harvest fuel, hide the ship and ultimately pilot the ship.

So "Christopher" or whatever the alien was called was actually the last leader left on earth. Only my interpretation but it explains his actions and how smart he was, especially relative to the other prawns.

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

To respond the leader caste thing, a person earlier was saying that it was assumed that all the smarter ones had died. The main alien and his kid WERE the leader caste that everyone thought had died. That's what I gathered from their ability to harvest fuel, hide the ship and ultimately pilot the ship.

So "Christopher" or whatever the alien was called was actually the last leader left on earth. Only my interpretation but it explains his actions and how smart he was, especially relative to the other prawns.

Read an interview from the director addressing this - his idea was that CJ and son's high IQ was a result of the hive trying to "restart" itself.  In some hive organizations, when the queen dies a worker will transform into a queen to fill the vacuum.  The idea is that this is what happened to CJ and his kid.  Doesn't quite fit with his statements that he's been gathering fuel for 20 years, but that's what the director says anyway.

Another interesting note from the interview - the scenes inside District 9 were all shot in an actual South African slum.  The only set that was built for the movie was CJ's shack.  Everything else is an actual place where people currently live.  Sobering to think about.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I saw District 9 today and I really loved it. I think it's a great movie, with an original scenario (the aliens as refugees, "victims", while they are usually on Earth to kill everybody in other alien movies), a great hero, and great sidekicks.

The action scenes are great too, but maybe too long. Some clichés are annoying too (the story with the hero's wife, the bald military during the last hour).

But overall I really enjoyed this movie, great sci-fi and it makes you think.

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I don't remember WHICH famous Science Fiction author said it, but I remember the quote:

"The best science fiction stories are about the problems of today."

Clearly this film was full of metaphors for apartheid, which may technically be over but you can also stretch this metaphor to any other situation with transplanted refugees (think Darfur, for example).  Governments take them in because it's the "right thing to do" but they end up being treated terribly anyways.  I thought this movie was very pertinent.

I also think any sci-fi movie changing the roles of aliens from our normal faceless destroyers to something different is a good thing.  Buck you, Hollywood.  This film switched the tables a little bit, essentially putting human beings in the role of the bad guys and pushing the viewer to, instead of just focus on the awesome special effects, consider how we would really behave in a situation like this.

Normally I'm like that old commercial "Hey, you got summer blockbuster in my deep movie!"  "No, you got deep movie in my summer blockbuster!" but I think the director walked the line.

Most impressive for me?  Tom Cruise and Nicholas Cage weren't in this movie.  IE it had big budget production values, but none of the terrible acting we normally have to suffer to watch it.

B+/A-

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
just saw it for the first time the other day. so crazy when his fingernails start coming off and his teeth start falling out. i liked it.

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
This bad boy came out on DVD a couple weeks ago. Anyone have it? This is definitely one I'm going to add to my collection.

Loved this movie and I've been waiting for it to be released. I'll be waiting for a [hopeful] sequel as well...