Author Topic: 30 rock celtics joke - ****  (Read 8120 times)

30 rock celtics joke - ****
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
[Jack and Liz get into an elevator]

JACK: [phone vibrates] It's from Nancy. She says she's in line behind the female Larry Bird. Oh god. There's a photo.

LIZ: [looks at picture on phone] Come on, how is Female Larry Bird holding hands with a guy? What am I doing wrong?

[Jack takes a photo of Liz]

LIZ: What's that for?

JACK: I'm telling Nancy that I'm with Female Kevin McHale.

Re: 30 rock celtics joke - ****
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
[Jack and Liz get into an elevator]

JACK: [phone vibrates] It's from Nancy. She says she's in line behind the female Larry Bird. Oh god. There's a photo.

LIZ: [looks at picture on phone] Come on, how is Female Larry Bird holding hands with a guy? What am I doing wrong?

[Jack takes a photo of Liz]

LIZ: What's that for?

JACK: I'm telling Nancy that I'm with Female Kevin McHale.

I lol'ed...

...never seen 30 Rock though; however if their writers are 'hip' enough to include references to the Celtics in the dialogue then the show can't be half-bad. (not trying to sound like J. Jonas Jameson of the Daily Bugle)
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:28 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 the whole episode was pretty good - but the boston accents were way over the top - pretty sure that was intentional though.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline ibs

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I hate to be a buzz kill, but I think the Kevin McHale comment may have been a reference to the show Glee. (Though the Celtics connection makes much more sense.)

Here's why I think this:

Kevin McHale is (also) an actor who, yep, looks a little bit like Liz, though I'm baffled about why they'd take a poke at him. Makes more sense it'd be the other, but, you know, she doesn't look a thing like that guy...

Just my two pennies...

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I hate to be a buzz kill, but I think the Kevin McHale comment may have been a reference to the show Glee. (Though the Celtics connection makes much more sense.)

Here's why I think this:

Kevin McHale is (also) an actor who, yep, looks a little bit like Liz, though I'm baffled about why they'd take a poke at him. Makes more sense it'd be the other, but, you know, she doesn't look a thing like that guy...

Just my two pennies...

I don't think so. The whole episode was about going to Boston. I think it was intended to be about the Boston Celtic Kevin McHale.
Also, I highly doubt a NBC show would reference something about a Fox show.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »

Offline ibs

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Oh, I know. It makes much more sense that it be a Boston reference, and yeah, the whole ep was about being there, and the character, Jack, is *from* Boston, but...

Well, she really does look like this kid. :-)

And it's not unusual these days for shows to makes references to other networks' shows. (Haven't we had two+ weeks of Leno jokes on every late nite talk show there is? [g] )

But, you're right - it makes more sense that it's a Celtics reference.