Author Topic: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum  (Read 173127 times)

Re: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
in all honesty, i think the game threads are a reflection of the entire blog lately.  there is a lot of nastiness, labeling, sensitivity, and glaringly to me....nit-picking.

i used to post here A LOT!  i got emotionally attached to the blog, its people, my interactions, and the discussions.  by becoming attached, i found i was actually enjoying myself less due to being sucked into negativity.  things have changed since then (about a year ago).

now, i look at this place as a blog, pure and simple.  not a community, just a blog.  by doing so, it is more enjoyable bc im detached from it, while still being engaged in any topic or discussion i choose to be a part of.

my advise...loosen up, reflect, put things in perspective....its not a community, its a blog.  it might not work for everyone, but it has worked for me.

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think for a lot of us that don't live near Boston...or watch games with other boston fans....game threads are a way to watch games with other C fans. I certainly can't vent my worries...fears...happiness..joy...whatever to my wife during the games...

It is nice to see there are other fans obsessed with the Celtics to the point they post here for some sort of therapy or reassurance no matter how bad things get. I don't mind the positive posts even when all things look lost...i don't mind the negative posts when all things look good...or the ones that border on both.

Game threads are real time reaction posts...people post their feelings at as things are happening...good or bad...and i think that isn't such a bad thing
Says the guy that told us no less than 7 times that Miami would win the series in 5 games before the end of the third quarter the other night and said

"tonight could be the night where it all ends for this team"

at the 7 minute mark of the 2nd quarter with the scored tied.

Come on cio!!!! Are you really enjoying the game threads by constantly telling the rest of us how bad the C's are, how good Miami is, how the C's will only win one game in the series, how horrible KG is playing and how horrible Baby is playing?

Go back and read your posts you made in the game thread and other game threads. They do not appear to be the quotes of a man who is enjoying himself or even attempting to fit in with a pro-Celtics crowd. If you were saying those things in a local Boston bar, constantly and out loud, management would cut you off and ask you to leave because you were ruining the atmosphere in their bar.

just call them as I see them. When the Cs play poorly...I am not afraid to say it. When they play well..I point that also...I really could careless about fitting in.

And yes it is MY OPINION....I would hope that a blog would welcome the opinions of anyone...good, bad or neutral...

If you think it is me ruining the "atmosphere" then I will not come around anymore...but sorry if I can't be roses and unicorns when they look bad.

Sorry for calling you out cio, Roy's right, I shouldn't have done it. My bad I hope you accept my apology.

But I have to ask a serious question that I brought up. Answer me honestly, please.

Do you enjoy yourself in the threads by being.....not so positive?

I mean, I know most of us who watch the game and visit the threads, probably all of us, who root for the team and only occasionally call them out for poor play, enjoy the heck out of ourselves acting the way we do in the game threads.

Do you really enjoy yourself by expressing your love of the Celtics the way you do because if I had that outlook in life and reacted like that to everything I experience, I can't help but think I would be absolutely miserable.

I am not trying to be mean or an ass or pass judgment here I simply am looking to educate myself so please don't take this the wrong way.

Others that have cio's outlook, I would pose the same question to you as well. Do you enjoy yourself in the game threads expressing yourself the way you do?

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think the true question to those with the Celtics-will-lose-every-game attitude is, "Does sleeping better at night after a loss really cancel out the empty feeling after a win (or the hypocritical excitement)?"
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »

Offline bigdaz68

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
Being a Celtics fan based in Australia I rarely get to watch games live as they are usually on during working hours. Following a play by play usually doesn't give the full picture of a game and therefore I read the game blog to gauge the comments of fellow supporters. I fully agree that it has become increasingly frustrating to follow what is actually happening on the court with all the "we are gone" comments in the first quarter of games and so on. I used to rely on descriptions of what is actually happening on the court from you guys but now I have a lot more faith in following the play by play because it does actually tell me a lot more! If it wasn't for that I would be led to believe that we are always behind by double digits at any point in the game and will never win again!

Surprise, surprise when the C's do actually have a comfortable lead and are playing well these same people go entirely missing from the blog as if incapable of showering any kind of praise on the team. Mind boggling attitudes?

Thank god for posters such as Dirk who ironically enough is also currently based in Australia. While we don't need over the top cheer leaders his positive attitude and attempts to paint a picture of what is actually happening are refreshing.

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Someone suggested a couple pages back that we have an "ignore" filter. IMO, everyone would get to be in the thread, say whatever the heck they want and if I get tired of seeing it I could filter it out. And vice versa. This way, the people that enjoy seeing both sides of the discussion can continue to, and those who get riled up by particular members' posts can simply weed them out.

I'm sure may people would tune me out. There are definitely a handful of people who I would like to filter out when the same old rhetoric is being spewed from the jump to the final buzzer. I think this would eliminate some of the chippyness, it may help to prevent members from calling one another out, and would encourage people to come back to the threads and actually participate--there's always a ton of lurkers--and participation is what would make these threads & this blog great again.

It's very difficult to enter the thread and see the extremes of positive & negative commments and not react to them. I either try to clam up, get sucked in, or simply leave the thread. On nights we're not playing well I usually don't even bother because I know I'm going to get p---ed off. And without calling anyone out--it's always the same people. ALWAYS.

Please guys-give us a filter.

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I have been following the replies with great interest, and I appreciate all who have shown their concerns and shared their perspectives.  Perhaps now I have a small suggestion to make.

Many are leery of tightening down the rules, and I'm one of those.  And if there were an Ignore button I wonder if I'd wind up posting to myself.  ::)  Yes, there are a couple of posters I would choose to ignore probably, but it would certainly be confusing trying to follow give and take when you can only "see" some of the posters.

My suggestion is a clear mission statement for the game thread.  Post it periodically.  Is it just another place to jaw about a trade or management?  I hope not.  I have always thought that the focus was intended to be the game at hand, trends affecting the game at hand, our reactions to the play (and officiating) and relevant analysis.  In my view, the rest is really just off-topic.  A mission statement isn't necessarily enforceable, but it helps define what is off topic and perhaps can help dissuade some who believe that the game thread is just like a chat and behave accordingly.

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I'm glad I peeked into this thread... it's sort of made me realize I've been pretty negative ever since the trade, and regardless of how I feel about the trade, I shouldn't let it dampen my enthusiasm for the team.

While I'll still happily blast away at Ainge and BBD in the appropriate threads, I think I'm gonna try to have a more positive tilt in the game threads (I haven't been SUPER negative in those, but I haven't been exuberant either).

After all, as of now the C's are still in this and still have a shot. There's nothing to lose form being overly optimistic at this point.

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »

Kiorrik

Being a Celtics fan based in Australia I rarely get to watch games live as they are usually on during working hours. Following a play by play usually doesn't give the full picture of a game and therefore I read the game blog to gauge the comments of fellow supporters. I fully agree that it has become increasingly frustrating to follow what is actually happening on the court with all the "we are gone" comments in the first quarter of games and so on. I used to rely on descriptions of what is actually happening on the court from you guys but now I have a lot more faith in following the play by play because it does actually tell me a lot more! If it wasn't for that I would be led to believe that we are always behind by double digits at any point in the game and will never win again!

Surprise, surprise when the C's do actually have a comfortable lead and are playing well these same people go entirely missing from the blog as if incapable of showering any kind of praise on the team. Mind boggling attitudes?

Thank god for posters such as Dirk who ironically enough is also currently based in Australia. While we don't need over the top cheer leaders his positive attitude and attempts to paint a picture of what is actually happening are refreshing.
:D Cheers!

Do I know you? :p

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 02:30:11 AM »

Offline bigdaz68

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2

:D Cheers!

Do I know you? :p

Nah mate no nepotism going on here!! I'm in Melbourne, I think you're in Sydney aren't you?

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:23 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
My simple solution, and I know this goes against the spirit of Celticsblog, is an "ignore list". Itīs what you do in real life with people you canīt stand, donīt care about their opinion or tell you "the end is near" to avoid constant debates, in-fighting or bad mood.

Ignore lists are not perfect, because they lead some people to ignore anyone who is of opposite opinion, and the exchange of different opinions is what makes the blog great. They also invite some people to show other posters a lack of respect, by telling them they are on their respective lists (which could be circumvented by an additional rule). Still, they would dramatically decrease the amount of in-fighting in game threads.

I have thought about my first post, and Iīd like to add that while a traditional ignore list would help with the game threads, theyīre not necessarily helpful for the blog as a whole. As annoying as the negative posters in the game thread are, theyīre still Celtic fans and I do enjoy their posts in regular threads.

I donīt know if itīs technically possible, but the best solution would be some kind of "cool down" button, to put people on a temporary ignore list. Hit the button, and you ignore the poster for three hours. Itīs basically not an ignore list, but a "Donīt talk to me until you calm down" list.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
in all honesty, i think the game threads are a reflection of the entire blog lately.  there is a lot of nastiness, labeling, sensitivity, and glaringly to me....nit-picking.

i used to post here A LOT!  i got emotionally attached to the blog, its people, my interactions, and the discussions.  by becoming attached, i found i was actually enjoying myself less due to being sucked into negativity.  things have changed since then (about a year ago).

now, i look at this place as a blog, pure and simple.  not a community, just a blog.  by doing so, it is more enjoyable bc im detached from it, while still being engaged in any topic or discussion i choose to be a part of.

my advise...loosen up, reflect, put things in perspective....its not a community, its a blog.  it might not work for everyone, but it has worked for me.

You know, you are right.  It's funny, I don't remember this much handwringing on CBlog when we went through our record 18-game losing streak (I was a lurker back then).  Maybe in those days everyone was so focused on looking for glimmers of hope!

It's great to cheer for a contender again, but I think people have really raised their standards.  Rooting for today's Celtics beats the heck out of hoping Mark Blount, Raef LaFrentz or Ricky Davis is gonna help us win a few games moral victories.

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You know, you are right.  It's funny, I don't remember this much handwringing on CBlog when we went through our record 18-game losing streak (I was a lurker back then).  Maybe in those days everyone was so focused on looking for glimmers of hope!

It's great to cheer for a contender again, but I think people have really raised their standards.  Rooting for today's Celtics beats the heck out of hoping Mark Blount, Raef LaFrentz or Ricky Davis is gonna help us win a few games moral victories.

I think most of it comes to expectations.  With that '07 team, the expectations were zero (and in fact, a lot of fans were rooting for the team to lose).  Therefore, there was a lot less of a divide between fans.  There was obviously some venting, but not much; it's hard to get *too* emotionally invested in wins and losses when you're a bad team.

With the post-KG Celtics, though, it's different.  In 2008, there wasn't a ton of venting, because the team was winning.  In the Atlanta series there was some hand-wringing, but overall, fans were just excited to be contending again.

In 2009, the team played its heart out, even without KG.  Again, it came down to expectations.  Fans didn't have high hopes, and since the team was playing with a ton of effort, there was less to gripe about.  Plus, wins and losses wise, we did very well.

Last year, though, things changed.  The team started to lose, and lose often.  The effort wasn't there.  The Celtics started to lose games they should win, and frequently.  That's where the frustration of expectations first came out very strongly.  When you see a team losing for reasons outside of your control, and you feel the team *shouldn't* be losing, you vent.  Unfortunately, that venting is often at the team, and it causes fans to lose hope.

This year was more of the same.  At the beginning of the year, when the team was stomping opponents, the game threads were largely positive.  There was a bit of hesitation while people worried about whether the team would revert back to last year's form, but all and all, neither the game threads nor the blog as a whole were unpleasant.  Some of the posters that would get the label "very negative" were in fact present and cheering the team on.

Then, the trade happened.  Not only was this a divisive moment, but it coincided with a downturn in winning and losing.  Once again, there was a frustration of expectations, as fans saw there team which was clearly the #1 team in the East begin to drop games that it "should" be winning.  A lot of fans became even more frustrated in 2010, because they believed that it was management, and not the team, that led to the results.  Naturally, that leads to increased venting. 

There are really only two things that are going to end the venting in the game threads, I think:  either the team starts winning again, or something causes fans to lower their expectations. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:37 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Part of me wants us to start going down the tubes again just so i can afford to go to the games again.  Its getting rediculous over there.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
My simple solution, and I know this goes against the spirit of Celticsblog, is an "ignore list". Itīs what you do in real life with people you canīt stand, donīt care about their opinion or tell you "the end is near" to avoid constant debates, in-fighting or bad mood.

Ignore lists are not perfect, because they lead some people to ignore anyone who is of opposite opinion, and the exchange of different opinions is what makes the blog great. They also invite some people to show other posters a lack of respect, by telling them they are on their respective lists (which could be circumvented by an additional rule). Still, they would dramatically decrease the amount of in-fighting in game threads.

I have thought about my first post, and Iīd like to add that while a traditional ignore list would help with the game threads, theyīre not necessarily helpful for the blog as a whole. As annoying as the negative posters in the game thread are, theyīre still Celtic fans and I do enjoy their posts in regular threads.

I donīt know if itīs technically possible, but the best solution would be some kind of "cool down" button, to put people on a temporary ignore list. Hit the button, and you ignore the poster for three hours. Itīs basically not an ignore list, but a "Donīt talk to me until you calm down" list.

Or an ignore list for game threads alone. Not the rest of the forum.

No idea whether that is possible either.

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would support the idea of a temporary, board-specific "ignore" button.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any software that has that sort of capability.

For some of the reasons mentioned above, we don't like the ignore option community wide.  The staff just doesn't like how that feature would impact the sense of community, and rather than make communications more civil, places with an ignore button often become more hostile (and require more staff involvement).

In terms of rules, we do have the authority to restrict people from game threads, and have a rule about people who are ruining others' enjoyment of the blog.  However, we're very hesitant to use that rule, if only because we're all Celtics fans and everybody is hoping for a victory at the end of the night.  There have been people here who I genuinely believed were rooting against the Celtics, and who crossed a line in their interactions.  Those people are no longer posting here.  Among those who are "regulars" in the game threads currently, I think people just have a different way of coping with losses.

I don't know, should there be a rule about declaring "this game is over" before it is?  That's probably the type of statement that irritates fellow fans the most.  At the same time, that doesn't seem like it would be a very practical rule, as there are a lot of times where people momentarily lose hope legitimately, but don't come close to the line of trolling or baiting.

Hopefully this all resolves itself by the Celtics playing better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes