Author Topic: New basketball league for American whites only  (Read 28933 times)

Re: New basketball league for American whites only
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The "Negro League" of basketball except with white people. Should be interesting. Maybe the NBA and the whatever you wanna call this league can compete in an Allstar Game  ;D

Except the Nego League was created because blacks weren't allowed to play with the whites.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Anybody remember the In Living Color skit "The White Leagues"

I just remember that and thinking it was so funny, and it would be so perfect for this thread.

Just searched online for it but can't find it.  Any of you with Netflix though need to stream it online.

In Living Color, Season 5, Episode 17 (or 19 - I'm seeing conflicting reports online).  It was the opening skit.  I'm telling you guys, hilarious. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:19:40 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2010/01/19/nba_563760.shtml

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Hahaha....Based off of these rules, I hope that a Black person  who was adpoted by a white couple, and was born in the United states. Puts his name in this leagues draft. hahaha

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
 I'm embarrassed for them since they don't seem to be. This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This guy Lewis sounds like a real piece of work.  What an idiot.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

If people cared that much about fundamentals the WNBA would kill the NBA in ratings.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, it certainly sounds and APPEARS to be a bad idea and racist...But:

Is this idea born out of a racist mentality? Or is it born out of something else? We cannot always judge a book by its cover, no matter how bad it may appear...trust me on that.

Has anyone actually spoken with the originators of this potential league?

This is somewhat reminiscent of a thread we had a few months ago here - something dealing with lack of white americans in the NBA?

Now THAT thread puzzled me..the discussion was good, but all we could come up with were suppositions..

I remember the days of the 80's...the names that readily come to mind are: Kevin Mchale, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Tom Chambers, Jeff Ruland, Bill Laimbeer, MArk Eaton, John Stockton, Jack Sikma, Bobby Jones...all dominant players and All-Stars if I'm not mistaken.

Where have they all gone? American-born players?

I cannot believe that Genetics is an issue - just during my last tour of service on a Carrier, I saw at Least TWO fellows that had to be at least 6'10"..they were young and lean, too. (And yes an Aircraft Carrier is probably the only class of Navy Ship that could comfortably fit these men, lol).

I know that we have Kevin Love (Future All-Star I think). Cole Aldrich will be a lottery Pick I believe....but everyone else seems foreign-borne (Dirk Nowitski, Chris Kaman, etc....).

So it's one thing if this new league wants to actively discriminate, becuase that would be wrong..but is there another issue these folks are trying to bring awareness to?

I apologize ahead of time if my post offends. Just some food for thought.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
I can't wait to see the slam dunk contest at all-star weekend!
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Is this idea born out of a racist mentality? Or is it born out of something else? We cannot always judge a book by its cover, no matter how bad it may appear...trust me on that.

This is somewhat reminiscent of a thread we had a few months ago here - something dealing with lack of white americans in the NBA?

Now THAT thread puzzled me..the discussion was good, but all we could come up with were suppositions..

I remember the days of the 80's...the names that readily come to mind are: Kevin Mchale, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Tom Chambers, Jeff Ruland, Bill Laimbeer, MArk Eaton, John Stockton, Jack Sikma, Bobby Jones...all dominant players and All-Stars if I'm not mistaken.

I cannot believe that Genetics is an issue - just during my last tour of service on a Carrier, I saw at Least TWO fellows that had to be at least 6'10"..they were young and lean, too. (And yes an Aircraft Carrier is probably the only class of Navy Ship that could comfortably fit these men, lol).

I know that we have Kevin Love (Future All-Star I think). Cole Aldrich will be a lottery Pick I believe....but everyone else seems foreign-borne (Dirk Nowitski, Chris Kaman, etc....).

So it's one thing if this new league wants to actively discriminate, becuase that would be wrong..but is there another issue these folks are trying to bring awareness to?

I don't know. Judging by the league's commissioner's quotes, it sounds awfully a lot like some discrimination and the perception that "streetball is black" and "fundamental basketball is white" sure seems like broad and incorrect generalizations to me. 

If the guy wants to bring awareness to fundamental basketball, there are a lot better ways to do it than by making it "white only".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I just don't see how they'll be able to play at all wearing those robes and hoods.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
I just don't see how they'll be able to play at all wearing those robes and hoods.
LOL!

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61

Let alone making a bucket on a burning cross...

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown

I don't know. Judging by the league's commissioner's quotes, it sounds awfully a lot like some discrimination and the perception that "streetball is black" and "fundamental basketball is white" sure seems like broad and incorrect generalizations to me. 

If the guy wants to bring awareness to fundamental basketball, there are a lot better ways to do it than by making it "white only".

Yes, of course, because nobody enjoys watching Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton and their showboat/flashy/streetball game, curling around screens, shooting mid-range jumpers, and Three pointers, pump faking and all of that fancy stuff.

People want to see, Steve Nash or (old)Jason Williams playing fundamental basketball, like throwing no-looks, pulling up out of nowhere for 3's on a fastbreak, behind the back passes, extended-one handed layups, and the fundamentally trickery ball handling.
People want to see Chris Anderson, and his tatted-up arms, crazy hair, and the fundamental type of basketball, where he uses his acrobatic athleticism to swat shots into the stands, and pose afterwards. thats the kind of fundamental basketball people want to see.

Duh...everybody knows that.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Yes, of course, because nobody enjoys watching Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton and their showboat/flashy/streetball game, curling around screens, shooting mid-range jumpers, and Three pointers, pump faking and all of that fancy stuff.

People want to see, Steve Nash or (old)Jason Williams playing fundamental basketball, like throwing no-looks, pulling up out of nowhere for 3's on a fastbreak, behind the back passes, extended-one handed layups, and the fundamentally trickery ball handling.
People want to see Chris Anderson, and his tatted-up arms, crazy hair, and the fundamental type of basketball, where he uses his acrobatic athleticism to swat shots into the stands, and pose afterwards. thats the kind of fundamental basketball people want to see.

Duh...everybody knows that.

Interesting point.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
A.)Chris Kaman was born in America, I'm pretty sure. He just played for germany in the Olympics because of a technicality. I think it was because both of his grandparents were born in Germany. From what I remember reading abou it his dad was pretty upset with him but this is just what I remember off the top of my head.

B.) Anybody else feel bad for Canadians not being allowed in the league

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
B.) Anybody else feel bad for Canadians not being allowed in the league

You mean steve Nash? he's cool with it. Andy Rautins cries.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner