Author Topic: Quick Rule Question  (Read 4404 times)

Quick Rule Question
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Let me preface by saying that this is not a big deal, but I have a quick question about this CB rule:

No swearing! There is absolutely no need for swearing in any post. If you can't find another way to express your opinion, buy a thesaurus. Any forum post, blog comment or personal message with profanity, masked profanity, abbreviations referring to profanity, or allusions to profanity (i.e., **** or @#$#, etc.), whether or not caught by the blog filter, will be deleted.

I see this being done a lot lately and I'm wondering if the rule has been relaxed of late ... there are times, (like when discussing the Lakers), when I would love to do so myself, but I was corrected once for it, and so it's often in the forefront of my mind while posting. Thanks. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Quick Rule Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The rule definitely hasn't changed or been purposely been relaxed, we just may be missing more than we should for various reasons.  If you see this, please feel free to use the "report to moderator" button.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I should note that often when it says *****, it is not actually someone making a masked profanity, it is the filter on the site.  And while it does filter profanity, it also filters many other, less harsh words for various reasons.  A lot of times people will write a word that they think is OK, this will happen, and they do not even realize it.  We do follow up on these to find out what the words are, and deal with them at that point based on what we find. 

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Different staff members have different definitions of "profanity".  For instance, our profanity filter has certain words filtered that I have no problem with, but which others are offended by.

I generally don't edit / warn members unless they're using one of the George Carlin words, or maybe if they're using the more minor words *a lot*.  However, on the front page, Jeff is very strict, and will edit out any curse word.

Enforcement in this area isn't 100% consistent, and probably never could be.  The best policy for everyone is to stay away from impolite language at all times.  At the same time, I understand that people will slip up from time to time, and nobody is going to get suspended for the one time use of minor profanity, although depending upon the mod there may be a warning given.  (Again, repeated use, or major profanity, is a different story.)

If it bothers you, by all means report it, and we'll look into the situation.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Let me preface by saying that this is not a big deal, but I have a quick question about this CB rule:

No swearing! There is absolutely no need for swearing in any post. If you can't find another way to express your opinion, buy a thesaurus. Any forum post, blog comment or personal message with profanity, masked profanity, abbreviations referring to profanity, or allusions to profanity (i.e., **** or @#$#, etc.), whether or not caught by the blog filter, will be deleted.

I see this being done a lot lately and I'm wondering if the rule has been relaxed of late ... there are times, (like when discussing the Lakers), when I would love to do so myself, but I was corrected once for it, and so it's often in the forefront of my mind while posting. Thanks. ;)

I have noticed this too. Sometimes I wonder if certain words are not so offensive depending on where you live.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Different staff members have different definitions of "profanity".  For instance, our profanity filter has certain words filtered that I have no problem with, but which others are offended by.

I generally don't edit / warn members unless they're using one of the George Carlin words, or maybe if they're using the more minor words *a lot*.  However, on the front page, Jeff is very strict, and will edit out any curse word.

Enforcement in this area isn't 100% consistent, and probably never could be.  The best policy for everyone is to stay away from impolite language at all times.  At the same time, I understand that people will slip up from time to time, and nobody is going to get suspended for the one time use of minor profanity, although depending upon the mod there may be a warning given.  (Again, repeated use, or major profanity, is a different story.)

Right.  But I think it is very important to note that if you are purposely masking profanity, in order to avoid the filter, then you should expect at least a warning.  There is a huge difference between making a mistake, and purposely trying to get around the rules.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Right.  But I think it is very important to note that if you are purposely masking profanity, in order to avoid the filter, then you should expect at least a warning.  There is a huge difference between making a mistake, and purposely trying to get around the rules.

Yeah, that definitely should have been made clearer.  Purposefully going out of your way to avoid the filter is a big no-no, as that's an acknowledgement that you know the rules, and you're going out of your way to break them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just don't try typing this girl's name.  Filtered.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Just don't try typing this girl's name.  Filtered.

Yeah, the filter also contains lots of words that were popular with spammers at one point, including certain celebrities and prescription drugs.  It also contains certain file-sharing sites, which members aren't permitted to link to.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
There has been some heavy profanity (at least to me, and toward me) in the chat occasionally.  What the chatter does is type the profane message...toward the end of the chat...and check out before he (she) can be booted/banned.  We try to catch what we can, and are pretty strict because some people are always trying to push the envelope.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!