Poll

What changes, if any, should be made to the TP system on Celticsblog?

TPs should be eliminated;
4 (3.7%)
Negative TPs should be brought back;
7 (6.4%)
Threads related to TPs should be locked;
6 (5.5%)
Only mods should be allowed to give TPs;
3 (2.8%)
Members should only be allowed to give each member 1 TP per 24 hours;
8 (7.3%)
Members should be allowed to give more TPs than they do now;
3 (2.8%)
Everyone's TPs should be reset
4 (3.7%)
There's nothing wrong with the TP system
20 (18.3%)
I don't care
27 (24.8%)
Anybody caught boosting their own TP count should be suspended
12 (11%)
Members should be allowed to "bet" their TPs
9 (8.3%)
Members should be allowed to "sell" / "trade" their TPs for charitable contributions, etc.
6 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Tommy Points and Celticsblog  (Read 36640 times)

Re: Tommy Points and Celticsblog
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I have received a lot of TP's of late, many through the PAPOUG game, through trying to recognize others as consistently as possible on the TP and Star threads, through trying to acknowldge the work and input of others here, and I believe, (though I don't know for sure), because people feel I contribute in a positive way.

This is very disheartening for me, because I feel TP's are a positive thing, whether to encourage others to contribute more, a way of applauding good posts, a way of saying thank you, or a way of getting rewards and enticements for getting people involved in posting and games, etc., and I think it's sad that jealousy over TP's is being used to question the integrity of some here.

A very nasty comment was directed toward me yesterday in this respect ... from someone who I have consistently acknowledged and thanked in the TP and Star threads, but who has almost always declined to acknowldge it or thank my efforts. Whatever, that's their right, and I don't do it to receive their thanks anyway. I do it because I try to treat everyone here with kindness and thoughtfulness, whether I have had past issues with someone or not, sometimes as an olive branch. And if that is repaid by TP's, then that's the privilege of others, and if some are inclined to ignore it, that's their perrogative, too.

It really is a shame that the pettiness and jealousy of some motivate them to "stir the pot" over something as benign and positive as TP's, because I think it was meant as an encouragement and reward, and it's one of the fun things that sets CB apart from other blogs. It encourages people to let others know that their contributions are welcomed and enjoyed, and it's just plain fun. But if it has become a tool for others to grind their axes out of spite or jealousy or anger or pettiness, then maybe it should be discontinued.

I have to assume, from the recent comments and behavior of certain individuals, that this is directed at me in large part, and I wish to ask all those in CelticsBlog to STOP giving me TP's ... PERIOD. I'm frankly sick of my integrity being questioned behind my back, and my character being maligned, over something that was meant to be positive and encouraging. It really makes me sad and disheartened to know that others feel the need to turn something positive into a tool for retribution, or a way to get back at others instead of approaching them honestly and discussing it one-on-one.

There are some people in this life who are never happy or satisfied unless they stir the pot and create trouble for others, because they lack the backbone and integrity to approach someone they have an issue with in a direct way and come to a mutual understanding, instead they sneak around behind people's backs in order to create trouble for them, or make accusations to the mods in an attempt to further their agenda, all motivated in this case, because someone gets more TP's than they do.

It's truly sad, because now something that was meant to be fun and positive and encouraging and rewarding, has been tainted by pettiness, jealousy, and spite. I know I have received many TP's of late, quite a few from the PAPOUG game, from posting congrats on the TP and Star threads, and from people who feel I'm a positive influence. I don't know where they ALL come from, but I know that if asked, the many people who give them would say so, and they have DONE so in a positive way, out of kindness or compliment or friendship, and not as a competition.

Frankly, I would like to request openly here to have my TP's reset to zero and no longer receive ANY, because it seems to be the only way I can stop this suspicion and pettiness and vindictiveness and jealousy attached to my TP count. I have ALWAYS been thoughtful and kind to others here, and have done so even when others have refused to acknowledge that kindness. I have treated others with respect and objectiveness, whether I agreed with them or not. I have tried to bring a positve light to this blog because I love it, and I love the people here, despite their obvious animosity.

Some of the same people have made what they phrased as "harmless" issues of this in the past, but it was clear to everyone that they had an axe to grind, and they stirred up many bad feelings in the process, like now. So, if the only way to make people stop this questioning of my integrity and honesty and sincerity and validity is to void me from receiving of TP's, then so be it. I honestly don't want to deny others, however, the opportunity to keep using them to encourage one another, because I've witnessed a lot of positive things and fun being derived from the TP system. I love this blog, and I don't love it because of my TP count, I love it because of the people and the Celtics and the friends and the discussion.

PLEASE, mods, feel free to zero me out and block me from receiving further, because I want to give NO ONE here the chance to keep questioning my sincerity or motives, and I do NOT want to give those people any more chances to stir the pot with their pettiness and nasty retributions and incriminations motivated out of jealousy and slander behind my back. THOSE are the kinds of motivations that ruin good communities and blogs, NOT TP counts, for God's sake. I know there are some here who would love me to leave, because of issues they have of insecurity and a need to be condescending and spiteful without question or reproach. But frankly, I love this place as much as they do, and it's as much my community as it is theirs.

So I have no intention of rolling over and playing dead, but I WOULD like to be taken out of the TP pool if that's the only way they'll stop insulting and questioning me with this TP crap. It's a shame, because now something fun and positive has been turned into an axe to grind others on, and it ruins the complexion of a place that is capable of such good things and great conversations. I know my leaving would be giving some here exactly what they want, but it's that reason that motivates me NOT to, because I've seen good people chastened to the point of leaving before, and there's no need of it continuing.

This is truly a sad thing, because those who initiated this did so as a way to shed light, (they thought), on some grand TP injustices, but all they really did in the process was shed light on their own vindictiveness and spiteful motivations. I want to publicly thank all those who have given me TP's so generously in the past, but ask you sincerely to please not give me anymore, because it's only being used against me to question my character, and I want my POSTS and contributions here to do the talking for my intentions, NOT my TP count.

And to those stirring the pot, the NEXT time you want to challenge my sincerity or question my character or belittle my contributions, do so directly in a PM, don't go behind my back like a child to their kindergarten teacher polishing their apple, because you're only giving testament to your OWN vindictiveness, immaturity and spite, and in doing so, turning what was once something fun and positive, into a jagged edge to get back at others. Sad ... very, very sad.

PLEASE MODS, REMOVE me from the TP system, but don't shut OTHERS out ... it's a fun positive thing, and it encourages others to contribute and spread good feelings. But for me it is now only something with which others question my intrigrity, and it's lost it's shine. Thank you.

- Bahku

I am very much saddened by this thread.  For the record, Bahku, I have given you quite a few TP's and every one was in appreciation of something you did that made this site better.   I'm very sorry that someone has been so petty as to question your motives or actions. 

TP's are meant to be fun and meant to be a way to recognize someone for doing something positive or making the site better.  Anyone who is upset about them or misusing them really needs to do some soul searching.  I feel sorry for them. 

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I've had a question I've been meaning to ask, and this thread seems to be a good place for it.

What exactly is the purpose of the TP? Is it just for fun? Is there an incentive for reaching a goal?

I know other forums have a similar rating thing (love/smite, +/-, that kinda thing), but here I'm seeing TP mentioned all over the place. Seems like there would be something meaningful about it to warrant such drama...

Nah theyre just like your name
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've had a question I've been meaning to ask, and this thread seems to be a good place for it.

What exactly is the purpose of the TP? Is it just for fun? Is there an incentive for reaching a goal?

I know other forums have a similar rating thing (love/smite, +/-, that kinda thing), but here I'm seeing TP mentioned all over the place. Seems like there would be something meaningful about it to warrant such drama...

Yeah, they're just meant to be fun.  I think most of us see them as a tip of the cap to somebody who heightened their enjoyment of the blog.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How does one boost their own TP count?  Create another account and give your main account TP's?  That's the only thing I can think of.
Essentially groups of posters just constantly pump up TPs every hour, or have multiple accounts to accomplish this. (you could make a couple simple bots if you wanted)

I LOVE the "Kobe Point" idea.  Instead of taking TP's away, I think it would be cool to see 2 numbers.  "Wow bdm has 400 TP's, but 500 KP's"  Lol I don't know, I think it would be cool.
Any sort of negative points or karma ends in tears in most cases. Especially when there has already been some drama.

If people really want the TP's to be more fair then, how about mods not being able to give infinite TPs?  (Not that I think this is a problem now, and it helps with contests and stuff, but if people are actually complaining about "inflated" TP numbers and cliches, I would think someone has a problem with the mods infinite TP powers).
But if it weren't for nepotism how else would Aeacus get TPs? Plus it'd make a lot of the games very difficult to work.

I think we should get rid of the TP and star threads and anything like that.

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No negative TPs.  I remember the load complaints when posters were losing TPs or even had a negative TP count.  (and I was just a regular member then)  That is to much of a headache.

As for the TPs now, I say if you are unhappy with your TP total and have not found ways to get around it, what are you waiting for.  Apparently there are ways to inflate the TP counts.  It is up to you to figure out how. 

I myself am very sad.  I was once 2nd on the TP count (behind Roy of course.  One day, I am going to be ahead of him in something) 

Now, I have fallen off the pace as others have surpased me.  My keyboard is stained from many tears. 

Honestly, I enjoy the TP system as is.  When I am in a good mood, I do tend to give out alot of TPs.  When I am not, I don't.  If I get them, or I don't, doesn't really matter.  I will continue with TP begging jokes though. 

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, first off - what is the exact definition of a Tommy Point, lol...? I have been a Celtics Fan since 1981, and it's sad that I can't give my oldest son or my wife an exact meaning of it.

I know that they are related to Tommy Heinsohn in some way, and I have heard him say the phrase "Tommy Point" before, but that is the only history that I am aware of.

I certainly don't agree with the "Kobe Point" thing for our Blog. That would be negative I think. One person could be absolutely right about something, and everyone else may feel he/she is wrong, but I should not be able to negatively dock someone TPs or give someone Kobe Points just because they are not in the Majority, I think.

It is "Suppose" to be a Community, right? In a community not everyone thinks the same way, but they are still family (Celtics Fans?). Think about it---in our own families we may have relatives that we don't always agree with - but they are still Family.

There are certainly Cliques here - it's a part of human nature I suppose. It takes a while to make a Team and a Community I guess.

I certainly wouldn't do away with Tommy Points - Hey the Lakers Blog don't have such a system, lol...what would they call theirs? Wilt Points? West Points? I don't know. And I like the Star System...or maybe that could be replaced with Shamrocks like another poster in this thread suggested?

And Mods: Please don't reset Bahku's TPs. I think at the end of the day we are all human, and while his comments are noble it doesn't matter (to me at least) what is TP count is. I didn't even know there was some drama going on with all of this. Evidently there is an issue?

Oh - and TPs for everyone here!

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Can you imagine if Tommy saw this thread?  Haha.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I myself am very sad.  I was once 2nd on the TP count (behind Roy of course.  One day, I am going to be ahead of him in something) 

Have you tried playing Pick a Player?  Everyone is ahead of me there.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Have you tried playing Pick a Player?  Everyone is ahead of me there.

Yes, but by the time day 2 rolls around, I forget. 

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I voted "I Don't Care"

I used to care.  I created the 100 TP thread and the TP Honor Roll to acknowledge some TP milestones, and I faithfully kept up with them for quite a long while.  I stopped keeping up with either of them after some hubbub last summer when I saw that as unfathomable as it may seem TPs were actually causing angst and competitiveness among the membership.  Not worth getting worked up for, but I felt like having the acknowledgment in those threads was actually adding to ill feelings, rather than be being harmless acts of patting each other on the back.

I also started to feel like acknowledging everyone every 100 TPs was merely obligatory, and I wasn't feeling sincerely happy for the person I was congratulating, merely fulfilling a duty.   So I stopped.

Still, I just don't get it. 

Very disappointing that we're getting all worked up over TPs. 

Yup

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I have received a lot of TP's of late, many through the PAPOUG game, through trying to recognize others as consistently as possible on the TP and Star threads, through trying to acknowldge the work and input of others here, and I believe, (though I don't know for sure), because people feel I contribute in a positive way.

This is very disheartening for me, because I feel TP's are a positive thing, whether to encourage others to contribute more, a way of applauding good posts, a way of saying thank you, or a way of getting rewards and enticements for getting people involved in posting and games, etc., and I think it's sad that jealousy over TP's is being used to question the integrity of some here.

A very nasty comment was directed toward me yesterday in this respect ... from someone who I have consistently acknowledged and thanked in the TP and Star threads, but who has almost always declined to acknowldge it or thank my efforts. Whatever, that's their right, and I don't do it to receive their thanks anyway. I do it because I try to treat everyone here with kindness and thoughtfulness, whether I have had past issues with someone or not, sometimes as an olive branch. And if that is repaid by TP's, then that's the privilege of others, and if some are inclined to ignore it, that's their perrogative, too.

It really is a shame that the pettiness and jealousy of some motivate them to "stir the pot" over something as benign and positive as TP's, because I think it was meant as an encouragement and reward, and it's one of the fun things that sets CB apart from other blogs. It encourages people to let others know that their contributions are welcomed and enjoyed, and it's just plain fun. But if it has become a tool for others to grind their axes out of spite or jealousy or anger or pettiness, then maybe it should be discontinued.

I have to assume, from the recent comments and behavior of certain individuals, that this is directed at me in large part, and I wish to ask all those in CelticsBlog to STOP giving me TP's ... PERIOD. I'm frankly sick of my integrity being questioned behind my back, and my character being maligned, over something that was meant to be positive and encouraging. It really makes me sad and disheartened to know that others feel the need to turn something positive into a tool for retribution, or a way to get back at others instead of approaching them honestly and discussing it one-on-one.

There are some people in this life who are never happy or satisfied unless they stir the pot and create trouble for others, because they lack the backbone and integrity to approach someone they have an issue with in a direct way and come to a mutual understanding, instead they sneak around behind people's backs in order to create trouble for them, or make accusations to the mods in an attempt to further their agenda, all motivated in this case, because someone gets more TP's than they do.

It's truly sad, because now something that was meant to be fun and positive and encouraging and rewarding, has been tainted by pettiness, jealousy, and spite. I know I have received many TP's of late, quite a few from the PAPOUG game, from posting congrats on the TP and Star threads, and from people who feel I'm a positive influence. I don't know where they ALL come from, but I know that if asked, the many people who give them would say so, and they have DONE so in a positive way, out of kindness or compliment or friendship, and not as a competition.

Frankly, I would like to request openly here to have my TP's reset to zero and no longer receive ANY, because it seems to be the only way I can stop this suspicion and pettiness and vindictiveness and jealousy attached to my TP count. I have ALWAYS been thoughtful and kind to others here, and have done so even when others have refused to acknowledge that kindness. I have treated others with respect and objectiveness, whether I agreed with them or not. I have tried to bring a positve light to this blog because I love it, and I love the people here, despite their obvious animosity.

Some of the same people have made what they phrased as "harmless" issues of this in the past, but it was clear to everyone that they had an axe to grind, and they stirred up many bad feelings in the process, like now. So, if the only way to make people stop this questioning of my integrity and honesty and sincerity and validity is to void me from receiving of TP's, then so be it. I honestly don't want to deny others, however, the opportunity to keep using them to encourage one another, because I've witnessed a lot of positive things and fun being derived from the TP system. I love this blog, and I don't love it because of my TP count, I love it because of the people and the Celtics and the friends and the discussion.

PLEASE, mods, feel free to zero me out and block me from receiving further, because I want to give NO ONE here the chance to keep questioning my sincerity or motives, and I do NOT want to give those people any more chances to stir the pot with their pettiness and nasty retributions and incriminations motivated out of jealousy and slander behind my back. THOSE are the kinds of motivations that ruin good communities and blogs, NOT TP counts, for God's sake. I know there are some here who would love me to leave, because of issues they have of insecurity and a need to be condescending and spiteful without question or reproach. But frankly, I love this place as much as they do, and it's as much my community as it is theirs.

So I have no intention of rolling over and playing dead, but I WOULD like to be taken out of the TP pool if that's the only way they'll stop insulting and questioning me with this TP crap. It's a shame, because now something fun and positive has been turned into an axe to grind others on, and it ruins the complexion of a place that is capable of such good things and great conversations. I know my leaving would be giving some here exactly what they want, but it's that reason that motivates me NOT to, because I've seen good people chastened to the point of leaving before, and there's no need of it continuing.

This is truly a sad thing, because those who initiated this did so as a way to shed light, (they thought), on some grand TP injustices, but all they really did in the process was shed light on their own vindictiveness and spiteful motivations. I want to publicly thank all those who have given me TP's so generously in the past, but ask you sincerely to please not give me anymore, because it's only being used against me to question my character, and I want my POSTS and contributions here to do the talking for my intentions, NOT my TP count.

And to those stirring the pot, the NEXT time you want to challenge my sincerity or question my character or belittle my contributions, do so directly in a PM, don't go behind my back like a child to their kindergarten teacher polishing their apple, because you're only giving testament to your OWN vindictiveness, immaturity and spite, and in doing so, turning what was once something fun and positive, into a jagged edge to get back at others. Sad ... very, very sad.

PLEASE MODS, REMOVE me from the TP system, but don't shut OTHERS out ... it's a fun positive thing, and it encourages others to contribute and spread good feelings. But for me it is now only something with which others question my intrigrity, and it's lost it's shine. Thank you.

- Bahku

once again, u hit the nail on the head.  dont be mad, but i had to tp this post.  it was perfectly stated.

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Everyone is saying how disappointed they are in the drama that's shown up around TPs.

If we're ALL disappointed, who are we disappointed in? It seems like 90% of the blog is just being like, "wow. this is sad". If we all think its so retarded, how does it even exist?

Let weirdos who think a number next to their name on the internet is such a big deal realize on their own that its not a big deal at all.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Let weirdos who think a number next to their name on the internet is such a big deal realize on their own that its not a big deal at all.

i agree!

im still waiting for those individuals who are impacted/upset about this, who have complained to the mods, rather than confronting the individuals they are complaining about.  ::)

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
im still waiting for those individuals who are impacted/upset about this, who have complained to the mods, rather than confronting the individuals they are complaining about.  ::)

One thing to make clear:  I think sometimes it's a good idea, when there are disputes between posters, to go to the mod staff.  Confrontations often lead to hurt feelings, flame wars, etc.  Obviously, we prefer if people are able to work things out maturely amongst themselves, but if that's not possible or likely, going to the staff is a good alternative.

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They're kind of like Pepsi Points. Get a few hundred thousand of them and then try and redeem them for a Harrier jump jet.