Poll

What changes, if any, should be made to the TP system on Celticsblog?

TPs should be eliminated;
4 (3.7%)
Negative TPs should be brought back;
7 (6.4%)
Threads related to TPs should be locked;
6 (5.5%)
Only mods should be allowed to give TPs;
3 (2.8%)
Members should only be allowed to give each member 1 TP per 24 hours;
8 (7.3%)
Members should be allowed to give more TPs than they do now;
3 (2.8%)
Everyone's TPs should be reset
4 (3.7%)
There's nothing wrong with the TP system
20 (18.3%)
I don't care
27 (24.8%)
Anybody caught boosting their own TP count should be suspended
12 (11%)
Members should be allowed to "bet" their TPs
9 (8.3%)
Members should be allowed to "sell" / "trade" their TPs for charitable contributions, etc.
6 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Tommy Points and Celticsblog  (Read 36612 times)

Re: Tommy Points and Celticsblog
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I dont care.

pst pst Hobbsy did yo get what i just did?
is that illeggal....that was fun.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
To me, TPs have no real value. Sure, I joke about grubbing for TPs, but I could honestly care less if my total goes up (or down).

I hand them out when someone makes me laugh, or posts something witty, smart, etc. I did enjoy docking a troll a TP for a stupid trade idea back in the day. Perhaps that's no longer in the spirit of the blog.

A propos of this, a suggestion: as Tommy Points are a sign of approval from the blog, rather than docking someone a TP for disapproval, would a secondary points system be appropriate? I'm thinking something like "Kobe points", and the total should be red, and in the negative.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

A propos of this, a suggestion: as Tommy Points are a sign of approval from the blog, rather than docking someone a TP for disapproval, would a secondary points system be appropriate? I'm thinking something like "Kobe points", and the total should be red, and in the negative.

I don't think we have the capability of that on our current forum system, although it's something to look into if we upgrade.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i say, who ever are the ones to complain about it to the mods, or if it is the mods themselves......speak your mind here, rather than do it privately. 

That's why we started the post, so that everyone will speak up publicly and the community can debate this.  That being said, sometimes people don't like going against popular opinion and/or don't want to be seen as the source of public drama.

i understand that, but if people are going to complain about it, they should face the music if the entire system is going to change.  i dont think it is right to change the entire system to appease a minority of members.

im willing to bet the "i dont care" vote will be the majority.  (thats what i voted for)  

like i said b4, i say keep it the same as it is.  but if changes must be made, i say dont mess around with it.....just take it away completely.  if it is modified, im sure there will still be people who complain about it, so the drama will always be there.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I don't think we have the capability of that on our current forum system, although it's something to look into if we upgrade.

I voted don't care, to me TP's are fun to give and get, but not a big deal.

though it does irk me when im in a bad mood to see people who are obviously boosting based on the loads of TP's they get in a hurry compared to thier low post count/ post value.

Not so much in a "[dang], i can't keep up!" but in a "get a grip" way.

I would however, submit that giving a negative feedback system is a bad idea. you think it's bad now with the "cliques" giving each other boasts? wait till they have a way to shun posters they don't like...

The buying and selling thing i guess is alright. Though we already kinda do that with redz and others excellent pick em threads.

If anything, i would like to see them equal a graphic, but i don' know how that would be done. Perhaps each 100 of them could give you a shamrock inside a your star?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:00:50 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Game on yet?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

I voted don't care, to me TP's are fun to give and get, but not a big deal.

though it does irk me when im in a bad mood to see people who are obviously boosting based on the loads of TP's they get in a hurry compared to thier low post count/ post value.

Not so much in a "[dang], i can't keep up!" but in a "get a grip" way.

I would however, submit that giving a negative feedback system is a bad idea. you think it's bad now with the "cliques" giving each other boasts? wait till they have a way to shun posters they don't like...

The buying and selling thing i guess is alright. Though we already kinda do that with redz and others excellent pick em threads.

Pretty much I just see them as a way to get stars, which I'm much more interested in, because they look cool hehe.

I agree that a negative feedback system would just create the same headaches in the opposite direction since it would allow incentive to go after someone and diminish their TP count.  The drama would still exist. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Okay, guys, we're asking you all for some feedback.  It has come to our attention that several members are concerned about the integrity of Tommy Points.  It seems that there are allegations of members boosting their own TPs, and there is evidence that certain friend groups or "cliques" are boosting the TPs of their members on a repeated basis.  This has led to some behind-the-scenes griping and a lot of unhappy posters.

The first thing I'd add is:  if you're boosting your own TPs, or if you're in a "clique" for purposes of boosting the TP count of yourself and others, please stop.  It's sad and pathetic.  This isn't meant to be a competition.

Second:  for those concerned about TPs and your place on the TP leaderboard, I'd ask that people please try to have some perspective, and not get worked up about them.  We're having members threaten to leave the blog over TP-related issues, and I'd ask that people chill a little.  There have been lots of posts that have tied the feel of the community to TPs, and people have expressed that TPs can both bring the community together and drive it apart.  I genuinely hope that we, as a community, are strong enough that TPs are irrelevant in terms of how you feel about your fellow posters, and Celticsblog as a whole.

Third, the staff invites your feedback.  What, if anything, should be done about this?  We have some ideas on this, but before implementing anything, we'd at least like to hear from folks.

Please, let us know what you think.  We'd like to get some legitimate feedback here, and I hope folks will be as candid as possible.

Through much strategic planning and hard work I've been able to acrue well over 300 tommy points in the last three years. I know, I know, you're all jealous. Anyways, I'm willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the board. The next time someone complains about not having enough tommy points you have my permission to give them some of mine.

Haha.  Very generous offer.

I do what I can.

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Note to myself.

Forget about my joke book,
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
since everything is being done quietly, and i have a semi-high tp count, i would invite anyone, whether it be a poster or mod, who have an issue with me, my tp's, or what/who i give tp's out for/to......to pm me. 

i hate when people complain about things behind people's back.  i can honestly say im not involved with anything involving tp's.  in all honesty, im sure there are more people that are "regulars" (mods and posters) who dont care for me, since my return after being disciplined. so if they speculate or just "hating", they would have no problem complaining.

i just want to know if any1 has issues with me.  i cant afford to have drama on here and am lucky to be back, so i'd like to know where i stand in all this so i can avoid any issues.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I have received a lot of TP's of late, many through the PAPOUG game, through trying to recognize others as consistently as possible on the TP and Star threads, through trying to acknowldge the work and input of others here, and I believe, (though I don't know for sure), because people feel I contribute in a positive way.

This is very disheartening for me, because I feel TP's are a positive thing, whether to encourage others to contribute more, a way of applauding good posts, a way of saying thank you, or a way of getting rewards and enticements for getting people involved in posting and games, etc., and I think it's sad that jealousy over TP's is being used to question the integrity of some here.

A very nasty comment was directed toward me yesterday in this respect ... from someone who I have consistently acknowledged and thanked in the TP and Star threads, but who has almost always declined to acknowldge it or thank my efforts. Whatever, that's their right, and I don't do it to receive their thanks anyway. I do it because I try to treat everyone here with kindness and thoughtfulness, whether I have had past issues with someone or not, sometimes as an olive branch. And if that is repaid by TP's, then that's the privilege of others, and if some are inclined to ignore it, that's their perrogative, too.

It really is a shame that the pettiness and jealousy of some motivate them to "stir the pot" over something as benign and positive as TP's, because I think it was meant as an encouragement and reward, and it's one of the fun things that sets CB apart from other blogs. It encourages people to let others know that their contributions are welcomed and enjoyed, and it's just plain fun. But if it has become a tool for others to grind their axes out of spite or jealousy or anger or pettiness, then maybe it should be discontinued.

I have to assume, from the recent comments and behavior of certain individuals, that this is directed at me in large part, and I wish to ask all those in CelticsBlog to STOP giving me TP's ... PERIOD. I'm frankly sick of my integrity being questioned behind my back, and my character being maligned, over something that was meant to be positive and encouraging. It really makes me sad and disheartened to know that others feel the need to turn something positive into a tool for retribution, or a way to get back at others instead of approaching them honestly and discussing it one-on-one.

There are some people in this life who are never happy or satisfied unless they stir the pot and create trouble for others, because they lack the backbone and integrity to approach someone they have an issue with in a direct way and come to a mutual understanding, instead they sneak around behind people's backs in order to create trouble for them, or make accusations to the mods in an attempt to further their agenda, all motivated in this case, because someone gets more TP's than they do.

It's truly sad, because now something that was meant to be fun and positive and encouraging and rewarding, has been tainted by pettiness, jealousy, and spite. I know I have received many TP's of late, quite a few from the PAPOUG game, from posting congrats on the TP and Star threads, and from people who feel I'm a positive influence. I don't know where they ALL come from, but I know that if asked, the many people who give them would say so, and they have DONE so in a positive way, out of kindness or compliment or friendship, and not as a competition.

Frankly, I would like to request openly here to have my TP's reset to zero and no longer receive ANY, because it seems to be the only way I can stop this suspicion and pettiness and vindictiveness and jealousy attached to my TP count. I have ALWAYS been thoughtful and kind to others here, and have done so even when others have refused to acknowledge that kindness. I have treated others with respect and objectiveness, whether I agreed with them or not. I have tried to bring a positve light to this blog because I love it, and I love the people here, despite their obvious animosity.

Some of the same people have made what they phrased as "harmless" issues of this in the past, but it was clear to everyone that they had an axe to grind, and they stirred up many bad feelings in the process, like now. So, if the only way to make people stop this questioning of my integrity and honesty and sincerity and validity is to void me from receiving of TP's, then so be it. I honestly don't want to deny others, however, the opportunity to keep using them to encourage one another, because I've witnessed a lot of positive things and fun being derived from the TP system. I love this blog, and I don't love it because of my TP count, I love it because of the people and the Celtics and the friends and the discussion.

PLEASE, mods, feel free to zero me out and block me from receiving further, because I want to give NO ONE here the chance to keep questioning my sincerity or motives, and I do NOT want to give those people any more chances to stir the pot with their pettiness and nasty retributions and incriminations motivated out of jealousy and slander behind my back. THOSE are the kinds of motivations that ruin good communities and blogs, NOT TP counts, for God's sake. I know there are some here who would love me to leave, because of issues they have of insecurity and a need to be condescending and spiteful without question or reproach. But frankly, I love this place as much as they do, and it's as much my community as it is theirs.

So I have no intention of rolling over and playing dead, but I WOULD like to be taken out of the TP pool if that's the only way they'll stop insulting and questioning me with this TP crap. It's a shame, because now something fun and positive has been turned into an axe to grind others on, and it ruins the complexion of a place that is capable of such good things and great conversations. I know my leaving would be giving some here exactly what they want, but it's that reason that motivates me NOT to, because I've seen good people chastened to the point of leaving before, and there's no need of it continuing.

This is truly a sad thing, because those who initiated this did so as a way to shed light, (they thought), on some grand TP injustices, but all they really did in the process was shed light on their own vindictiveness and spiteful motivations. I want to publicly thank all those who have given me TP's so generously in the past, but ask you sincerely to please not give me anymore, because it's only being used against me to question my character, and I want my POSTS and contributions here to do the talking for my intentions, NOT my TP count.

And to those stirring the pot, the NEXT time you want to challenge my sincerity or question my character or belittle my contributions, do so directly in a PM, don't go behind my back like a child to their kindergarten teacher polishing their apple, because you're only giving testament to your OWN vindictiveness, immaturity and spite, and in doing so, turning what was once something fun and positive, into a jagged edge to get back at others. Sad ... very, very sad.

PLEASE MODS, REMOVE me from the TP system, but don't shut OTHERS out ... it's a fun positive thing, and it encourages others to contribute and spread good feelings. But for me it is now only something with which others question my intrigrity, and it's lost it's shine. Thank you.

- Bahku
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:25:51 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Anybody who puts enough stock in TPs to artificially boost their own count or feel insecure or disrespected based on other peoples' counts is taking it waaaaay too seriously.  I like the TP system overall as it lets posters give each other positive feedback in a fun, cumulative way, and gives a great built-in incentive system for things like the Over/Under Game.  Some people abusing it or putting too much stock in it is pretty natural in any decent-sized group.  So be it, it's not like there's cash riding on it or anything.  Cheaters know who they are, and people who feel disrespected would probably just switch to feeling disrespected about something else.  It's fine the way it is. 

Besides, the only poster who I was 99% certain was boosting their count doesn't post here anymore, so I don't know who these disgruntled folks are referring to anyway.  Mods and frequent posters always get TPs tossed their way, and they deserve it.

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I'm very surprised and disheartened to hear that people are grumbling about TP's and trying to artificially inflate their numbers (although I can't see how that would be done unless by a mod) and misusing the system.

I personally like the TP system.  I like being able to let people here know that I appreciate what they have said, whether it is giving a smile or a good point about our beloved Celtics.   I appreciate the TP's that I have been given because I appreciate the people who have given them to me.  I spend a lot of time on game threads and links but I do it because I want to help make the site better and because I love the Celtics and the Celtics community.  I would do it whether I ever got a TP for it or not.  But the TP's let me know that the threads are enjoyed and appreciated and that means a lot to me. 

I think it is very sad that a few people would spoil something that is meant as fun by misusing it.  Very sad, indeed.   

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Lol, wow, sometimes these threads surprise me.  I would love to know what some people really think, but now because so many posters have called this petty I doubt people will ever come out.

How does one boost their own TP count?  Create another account and give your main account TP's?  That's the only thing I can think of.

If people really want the TP's to be more fair then, how about mods not being able to give infinite TPs?  (Not that I think this is a problem now, and it helps with contests and stuff, but if people are actually complaining about "inflated" TP numbers and cliches, I would think someone has a problem with the mods infinite TP powers).

I LOVE the "Kobe Point" idea.  Instead of taking TP's away, I think it would be cool to see 2 numbers.  "Wow bdm has 400 TP's, but 500 KP's"  Lol I don't know, I think it would be cool.

I know this isn't possible, as I've seen this request made a few times, but it would be great to track TP's.  Then any accusations can be put to rest (or exposed I guess lol).

And forget what Bahku says, I want him to keep his TP's!

Lol.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
I've had a question I've been meaning to ask, and this thread seems to be a good place for it.

What exactly is the purpose of the TP? Is it just for fun? Is there an incentive for reaching a goal?

I know other forums have a similar rating thing (love/smite, +/-, that kinda thing), but here I'm seeing TP mentioned all over the place. Seems like there would be something meaningful about it to warrant such drama...