Author Topic: Why Do Announcers Still Mispronounce Rondo's First Name?  (Read 5068 times)

Why Do Announcers Still Mispronounce Rondo's First Name?
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It is Rah-john, not Ray-john. Most of the ESPN guys (Hubie Brown most notably) say it wrong. Hasn't Rondo reached the point where they should be pronouncing his name correctly?

Re: Why Do Announcers Still Mispronounce Rondo's First Name?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
No kidding... You'd think if they could get Ndamukong right, they could get Rajon right...  ::)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
My sister never gets his last name right.  She keeps calling him Rando.  Don't know what's so hard about Rondo.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It is Rah-john, not Ray-john. Most of the ESPN guys (Hubie Brown most notably) say it wrong. Hasn't Rondo reached the point where they should be pronouncing his name correctly?

Mayby they listen to Marshall on the comcast telecasts.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I don't know but, I thoroughly enjoy listening to away announcers talk about Rajon.  I really have to give tip of the cap to the Miami announcers in general.  Both were very complimentary of the team.  It's actually a nice break from Tommy and Mike Gorman who has suddenly become very pessimistic.  It's a bit irritating hearing Mike complain that a game is still in hand against a sub .500 team late in the 1st quarter... I mean I'm starting to get a message board feel to his opinions. Maybe he's just gotten a bit spoiled over the past few years.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Hubie mispronounces so many names I don't expect better from him but the other national ESPN AND TNT guys I don't know how they can't get it right. Donny has no excuse. How hard is it to make the effort to adjust and pronounce someone's name the right way? I find the mispronouncing rude and lazy.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »

Offline BassyBoston

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hubie Brown is also 200 years old and the most annoying color commentator I've ever heard - pronouncing a 2 syllable name correctly would not really be his thing  ;D
Dickerson: On a scale of 1-10 where do you rank May 22nd in terms of importance to this franchise?

Ainge: You talk really loud, you know that?

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Mayby they listen to Marshall on the comcast telecasts.

Exactly. Donny calls him Rage-On still. He of all people needs to lock it up.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Hubie mispronounces so many names I don't expect better from him but the other national ESPN AND TNT guys I don't know how they can't get it right. Donny has no excuse. How hard is it to make the effort to adjust and pronounce someone's name the right way? I find the mispronouncing rude and lazy.

Part of Hubie's charm is that he's an old timer who loves the new times. I've never heard him rag on a player or a style of basketball, but at the same time the more difficult names from Europe and the US completely befuddle him. He's not the old guy who says " Rajon, what kind of name is that?" he;s the guy who says, " Yeah, I'm never going to remember how to say that, I'm old. But I love the way you play".

Just remember, you have to dominate the painted area.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Hubie Brown is my alltime favorite announcer.  I would watch a game I have no interest in just to listen to him.  And if I have a choice between the Comcast team or Hubie, I choose Hubie every time.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Part of Hubie's charm is that he's an old timer who loves the new times. I've never heard him rag on a player or a style of basketball, but at the same time the more difficult names from Europe and the US completely befuddle him. He's not the old guy who says " Rajon, what kind of name is that?" he;s the guy who says, " Yeah, I'm never going to remember how to say that, I'm old. But I love the way you play".

...and get to the front of the rim.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »

Kiorrik

Ugh, I've heard Dutch announcers butcher just about any name.

But yeh, the Rajon thing infuriates me too... unless, like BirdBrain said (lol @ ur name btw :D nice!), when it's opponent announcers that mispronounce it. As long as they credit our tiny PG.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Very funny thanks. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think a big reason why there's still all sorts of pronunciations out there is because Rondo's own teammates still call him Ray-john. Pierce especially does it all the time. I think Scal and Doc occasionally do it too. Don't know about the other players and coaches, as most of them refer to him as "Rondo" during interviews.

But when Rondo says his own name in videos and such, it's definitely Rah-john.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53

Very funny thanks. 

TP to you, Birdbrain, for having a picture of my favorite player on your post.

And isn't Rondo's first name more like..Rah Shjohn rather than plain old John?