Author Topic: Raptors (16-17) at Celtics (23-8) 1/2  (Read 70605 times)

Raptors (16-17) at Celtics (23-8) 1/2
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:22 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Toronto Raptors (16-17) at Boston Celtics (23-8)
Saturday, January 2
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #32, Home Game #15
TV:  CSN HD, TSN 2, LP 758
Radio WEEI, CJCL
TD Banknorth Garden 

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.9
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

Rondo/  R Allen/  T Allen/  Wallace /  Perkins

Reserves

Bill Walker
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Lester Hudson
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine

Injuries
Glen Davis (ankle) questionable
Paul Pierce (knee) out
Kevin Garnett (knee) questionable
Marquis Daniels (thumb)  out
Rajon Rondo (hamstring) probable

Coach: Jay Triano
Average Age: 26.7
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 226

Probable Starters

Jack/ DeRozan/ Turkoglu/Bosh/ Bargnani

Reserves
Sonny Weems
Amir Johnson
Rasho Nesterovic
Marcus Banks
Marco Bellinelli
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Patrick O'Bryant
Antoine Wright

Injuries
Reggie Evans (foot) out
Jose Calderon (hip) out
Hedo Turkoglu (knee)  probable 

Team Connections
Amir Johnson and Rasheed Wallace were teammates in Detroit from 2006-09
Marcus Banks was drafted by and  played for the Celtics from 2003-06
DeMar DeRozan and Brian Scalabrine are former USC Trojans
Reggie Evans and Ray Allen were teammates in Seattle from 2003-06
Rasho Nesterovic, Jarrett Jack and Marquis Daniels were teammates in Indiana during the 2008-09 season
Nesterovic and Kevin Garnett were teammates in Minnesota from
1998-2003
Patrick O’Bryant played forthe Celtics during the 2008-09 season

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jarrett Jack
Rondo struggled through the Phoenix game with a sore hamstring.  He is probable for this game unless Doc decides to hold him out until he can get the whole team back healthy, which wouldn't be a bad idea.  Jack has been playing well in place of the injured Calderon.   

vs 
Rasheed Wallace vs Chris Bosh
Chris Bosh has been playing very well in recent games.  In the past, he has played timidly against KG, but Sheed probably won't have the same effect on him.  Bosh leads all forwards with 24 double doubles and needs nust 39 points to tie Vince Carter as the team's all time leading scorer.  This will be a tough matchup for the Celtics and Sheed has got to play inside if he is going to counteract Bosh's play.

Honorable Mention
Tony Allen vs Hedo Turkoglu
Turkoglu is usually matched up with Pierce and gives him all he can handle.  However, Turkoglu left Wednesday's game with a knee contusion and may or may not play in this game.  It would be much better for the Celtics if he would sit out and rest in this one.  If he plays, Tony needs to be "good Tony" since Turkoglu seems to save his best games for the Celtics. 

Game Notes
• The Suns are currently leading the season series 1-0; Celtics won the season series 2-0 against the Suns in 2008-09
• Rajon Rondo led the Celtics with 27.5 points per game last season
• Steve Nash averaged 15.5 points per game in the two match-ups
• It marked the first time since the 2000-01 season that the Celtics had swept the season series.
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 61-48 with the Celtics 35-18 at home

The Celtics will once again be missing several key players.  KG, Pierce, Big Baby and Daniels are all expected to miss this game.   Rondo may or may not play due to the sore hamstring.    The Raptors will be missing Calderon and possibly Turkoglu. 

The Raptors have won 5 games in a row and would love to keep their streak going.   The Celtics have lost 3 in a row and would very much love to stop their streak at 3.   

Winning this game isn't as important as making sure that the team is healthy for the stretch run and the playoffs so hopefully Doc will keep the players who need to rest their injuries out until they are 100 %.   This game is winnable for the Celtics even with the injuries if the others step up their games.   

Keys to The Game
Defense, Defense, Defense   The Celtics must find their defense again.  They have been allowing way too many open shots and easy baskets recently.  They need to get back to what has made them such a tough team.  Against the Raptors, they especially need to tighten up their perimeter defense as they are a very good 3 point shooting team. 

Rebound   The Celtics have to crash the boards on both ends.  Defensive rebounds prevent second chance opportunities for the Raptors and Offensive rebounds given them extra shots along with preventing the fast break for the Raptors.    Rebounding is mostly effort and desire and the Celtics need to be showing both of those things.  Sheed needs to play inside more and forget about the 3 point line. 

Take it To the Hoop
  The Celtics need to take the ball into the paint and either get the score or draw the foul.  Quick 3's are not good offense, especially the way they haven't been falling for them recently.   They need to run the offense and move the ball and make the extra pass. 

X-Factor
Injuries
Both teams have key injuries and the play  benches will be key to determining which team gets the win. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:51:59 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Raptors (16-17) at Celtics (23-8) 1/2
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The first game of the new decade ... we need everyone who's healthy to SHOW UP for this one ... and in a big way. I'm praying Sheed will realize his post-up potential and stop launching 3-point bricks, and that Ray is stroking it. Thanks for the awesome setup, Florida ... TP and Happy New Year!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I live in Toronto and I am the biggest Raptors hater on this site so I have something to say for a change.

First of all, Jose Calderon is the worst defender in the league, and his backup is in, so it's impossible for the Raptors to win because they're always playing catchup. Jack has his days, but against Rondo, it won't be one of those days.

KG being out is a downer but Sheed will do a good job on him. Perk'll have to help a lot but Bargniani's lack of lateral movement negates it.

Bargniani's a bum. Comparing him to Dirk makes me ill. He's a darn good shooter, I'll leave it at that.

Turkoglu no longer has D12 so he's playing to his potential again, meaning he's an above avg jump shooting European.

The Raptors play hard 3/4 of the games in a season and they play well 1/2 of those games, that's a flat out fact, no matter how thing go they'll give the game away.

Long story short, C's win 103-92.

I told you all about the Raptors, and how patterning yourself after Phoenix Sun will lead to porous defense, they're a terrible team, with a terrible future, with a terrible GM, and a terrible coach, run by a terrible corp., Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Just wait, when Bosh leaves they're going to overpay Dirk and truly bury themselves.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. They play 20 min away and I can't go to a game til the C's are here, they make me sick.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:31:18 AM by davemonsterband »
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tommy point for you dmb.  Raptors have always been pretenders.  I'm convinced the American Bosh will come back to this country for a big payday next year.

FL, I think you mistakenly lefts a few "Suns" notes in there from your previous preview, or are those Raptor notes?

It'll be great to be home.  Looking forward to the boys drawing some energy from the crowd.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Raptors may be without Hedo Turkoglu (currently questionable) and are already without Jose Calderon. That gives them a perimeter rotation of Jarrett Jack, DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems, Marco Belinelli, Antoine Wright and Marcus Banks.

Is that really better than Ray Allen, Tony Allen, JR Giddens, Eddie House, and maybe some of Scal/Hudson/Walker?

If Hedo Turkoglu is fit, and does play, then I think the Raptors have a big advantage on the perimeter. But if Hedo sits out ... then I think the Celtics have a slight advantage on the perimeter.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:24:54 AM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Kendrick Perkins + Rasheed Wallace + Shelden Williams + Brian Scalabrine vs Chris Bosh + Andrea Bargnani + Amir Johnson + maybe Rasho Nesterovic ... Big advantage with Chris Bosh but the Celtics' bigs are deeper.

Talent wise, if Hedo sits out, this could be a pretty close game. The Celtics still have enough defensive talent on the court to be a good defensive squad but are a poor offensive team. The Raptors are a good offensive team but a bottom five defensive team. That seems like a fairly close matchup to me (talent wise). This is shaping up to be an interesting game.

Of course, that's only if Hedo Turkoglu doesn't play. If he plays then I think the Raptors are strong favourites.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:35 AM »

Kiorrik

What a game this is shaping up to be!

TP FL, even though you messed up our starters pictures again haha :D Looks funny this time 'round.

Well, Rondo, KG, Pierce, Baby, Quisy... all of them out hurts us so badly that today might just be one of the games like Rayray had back in 'wauky & Seattle. He'll have to carry us and I'm hoping he's going to be really stepping it up this time.

Hey, maybe Perk will have an offensive fluke game, where he scores 30+. That'd be bloody awesome!

.edit:

Oh and FL, you didn't change the game notes either :P They're the Suns game notes ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:17:17 AM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »

Kiorrik

Kendrick Perkins + Rasheed Wallace + Shelden Williams + Brian Scalabrine vs Chris Bosh + Andrea Bargnani + Amir Johnson + maybe Rasho Nesterovic ... Big advantage with Chris Bosh but the Celtics' bigs are deeper.

Talent wise, if Hedo sits out, this could be a pretty close game. The Celtics still have enough defensive talent on the court to be a good defensive squad but are a poor offensive team. The Raptors are a good offensive team but a bottom five defensive team. That seems like a fairly close matchup to me (talent wise). This is shaping up to be an interesting game.

Of course, that's only if Hedo Turkoglu doesn't play. If he plays then I think the Raptors are strong favourites.

They're bottom 5 defensive? Hmmm... Walkertime baby :)

I really need to read up on the opposing teams more often. I have no idea who's what.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Agreed with what have been said, it all depends on whether Turkoglu plays or not. He usually plays very well against us and he would have a big advantage if he played tonight... so I hope he won't. :P

Anyway it's going to be a tough game. With Perk and Sheed we can contain Bosh and Bargnani, although Perk struggles against centers with a shooting touch. And we can abuse them in the post.

My only positive thoughts for tonight are that we can win this game, even if it will be hard, and that maybe (really maybe) Giddens will show how productive he can be and earn a spot in the rotation.

TP FL and go Celtics!

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this is going to look like a preseason game

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »

Kiorrik

Didn't we go up against the Raptors twice in preseason as well?

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Hedo Turkoglu isn't playing

Hedo Turkoglu (knee) and Jose Calderon (hip) won't be available against the Celtics, forcing coach Jay Triano to alter his rotations.

Toronto has been getting by with Jarrett Jack and Marcus Banks handling point guard duties, but Antoine Wright, who lost his minutes to the more athletic Sonny Weems when Toronto began its recent hot streak, will get an emergency start in place of Turkoglu.

Reported by Doug Smith in the Toronto Star.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Hedo Turkoglu isn't playing

Hedo Turkoglu (knee) and Jose Calderon (hip) won't be available against the Celtics, forcing coach Jay Triano to alter his rotations.

Toronto has been getting by with Jarrett Jack and Marcus Banks handling point guard duties, but Antoine Wright, who lost his minutes to the more athletic Sonny Weems when Toronto began its recent hot streak, will get an emergency start in place of Turkoglu.

Reported by Doug Smith in the Toronto Star.

Finally, some little luck for the C's. I hope we win this one.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Toronto does have a five game winning streak, but those are at home against lesser competition (NJ, NOH, at DET, DET, CHA).

Boston is playing their worst ball of the season coming off just a brutal stint West of my backyard.

No Rondo, No KG, and No Pierce takes a lot of our team off the floor.

I agree with FLCeltfan that Defense including rebounding will be very important for the C's tonight. Hopefully this will set up some Allen brothers fast breaks.

Another critical factor that has not been brought up is Turnovers. The Celtics must win the turnover battle to have a chance to win tonights game.

Do yourself a favor, and lower your expectations for the next two weeks until our front line horses can get back in the lineup. I won't be responding to whiney posts.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
meh...need to stop bosh and roll the dice