Author Topic: Some thoughts on Superman (the movie, not Shaq or Dwight)  (Read 9123 times)

Re: Some thoughts on Superman (the movie, not Shaq or Dwight)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think what the Superman franchise really needs is to maybe include a cameo appearance by another well-known hero from the DC Universe?

Since it appears that 2011 will be the year for the next Superman movie, why not have him fight Metallo or maybe Zod. With an appearance at the end of maybe Darkseid or Amazo?

This could then lead into an appearance by Wally West (Flash), or John Stewart/Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) at the end of the 2011 movie...sort of like along the lines of what happened with Tony Stark's appearance at the end of the 2nd Hulk movie.

Green Lantern is green lit, Ryan Reynolds to star as Hal Jordan. I don't know about the Flash.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The story line was a tad lacking but, I would probably give it a 7/10.  I'm a big fan of Kevin Spacey.  I think too many people are comparing it with the new Batman franchise which is a bit unfair. 

Ugh Ryan Reynolds...

I heard the Flash might be Sam Worthington who just recently starred in every action movie created in the past few years.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For a Superman movie to work in this day and age, I think you need to skip all the back story, and just come up with a cool villain that can allow Superman to show off his powers.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
For a Superman movie to work in this day and age, I think you need to skip all the back story, and just come up with a cool villain that can allow Superman to show off his powers.

I kinda agree, it is too late to do a brand new origin story....that ship has sailed.

It would have been perfect timing for a brand new Superman origin story during the time when X-Men, Spiderman and Batman Begins were shown.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I kinda agree, it is too late to do a brand new origin story....that ship has sailed.

It would have been perfect timing for a brand new Superman origin story during the time when X-Men, Spiderman and Batman Begins were shown.

I'm saying skip the origin story.  Does it matter that Superman is an alien, etc.?  Everyone already knows who he is; just cut out all of the origin stuff, and jump in with a cool movie, against a cool villain.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This is all you need.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm saying skip the origin story.  Does it matter that Superman is an alien, etc.?  Everyone already knows who he is; just cut out all of the origin stuff, and jump in with a cool movie, against a cool villain.

They basically skipped it this time around as well. 

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

They basically skipped it this time around as well. 

Well, skip the stupid stuff about the kid, too.  And frankly, I've got no problem with marginalizing Lois, although that will never happen.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Superman is just a lame super hero story. An alien from another planet comes here and has powers above and beyond anything that is conceivable for a human to do. The only thing that is possible to weaken him or even remotely hurt him is a piece of rock from a world that exploded light years away and we have to believe it can now somhow be harnessed or found here on earth. Add that to the fact that we now have to believe that a pair of glasses and some pathetic acting can make him become soooo incognito that no one can notice the resemblance between Superman and Clark Kent.

The only way to make the story interesting is to have him be in love with Lois Lane, constantly put her in danger somewhere and put Superman into a moral dilemma. Save the woman he loves or do something that helps the great good(save the world, stop a bomb from exploding, yadda, yadda, yadda) because there's no believable way to hurt or kill him.
Good point. I guess you could have somebody else with similar powers show up from another or his planet and fight him

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I agree with those who say they've got to bring a villain (or two) Superman could actually lose to.  Superhero movies have been very, very reluctant to bring in the alien race/cosmic being characters, probably because it's hard to do it in a non-cheesy way.  But the tech is good enough now, and those are the only opponents that can stand toe-to-toe with Superman.   Doesn't have to be complicated - Doomsday is rampaging around, they fight, turns out DD was there to distract/kill Superman so Brainiac can drain Earth.  Simple plot, nothing convoluted or cheesy.  But he can't keep fighting giant rocks.  Bring out the big guns.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:04:35 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think the best Superman plot would be to bring out a little known plot point of the DC universe......Batman owns kryptonite. 

DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:32:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Looks like Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins) has signed up to "oversee" the next Superman reboot.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 01:58:58 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
batman vs superman....i read the graphic novel...they both up in age

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i thought it was a great idea to make him like a god and hearing everyon'e problems. that was an awesome idea. also, about him feeling alone. that was all good. but i agree lex is a weak bad guy. the world has to be threatned by a super bad guy. i thought routh was really good. just the no good bad guy factor. oh yeah, and the son stuff was bad.

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
They need to act like the last movie never happened. Forget the kid and don't let him stalk lois(that was aa liitle creepy). The last movie was horrible. They do need to have a villan who can put up a good fight which have all been mentioned. I wouldn't want to see  Doomsday yet, Darksied would be a good start or maybe team the Parasite up with Brainiac. Establish a movie with a good fight that would lead into the end all with Doomsday. But when/if they make one with Doomsday, I just hope they don't screw it up like Marvel did with Venom in Spiderman 3.
Still don't believe in Joe.