Author Topic: Celtics (22-5) at Magic (22-7) 12/25  (Read 74892 times)

Celtics (22-5) at Magic (22-7) 12/25
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
BostonCeltics (22-5) at Orlando Magic (22-7)
Friday, December 25 - Merry Christmas!!!
2:30 PM ET
Game #28 Road Game #14
TV:  ABC
Radio:  WEEI, WDBO
Amway Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo  12.1 PPG   9.7 APG   2.7 SPG
Jason Williams  7.3 PPG   4.6 APG  0.8 SPG

Shooting Guard
vs
Ray Allen   16.0 PPG   2.9 APG  .364 3P%
Vince Carter  18.6 PPG   3.1 APG   .336 3P%

Small Forward
vs
Tony Allen   6.7 PPG  3.0 RPG  1.0 APG 
Mickael Pietrus  9.4 PPG  2.9 RPG   .5 APG

Power Forward 
vs
Keven Garnett  15.3 PPG   7.6 RPG  0.9 BPG
Rashard Lewis   15.6 PPG  5.6 RPG  .4 BPG

Center
vs
Kendrick Perkins  12.3 PPG   8.0 RPG   2.0 BPG
Dwight Howard   18.0 PPG  12.9 RPG  2.4 BPG 

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Lester Hudson
Bill Walker
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine

Injuries
Marquis Daniels (thumb)  out
Big Baby Davis (thumb)  possible
Paul Pierce (knee)  out
Kevin Garnett (thigh)  will play

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Matt Barnes
Jameer Nelson
JJ Redick
Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass
Anthony Johnson

Injuries
Adonal Foyle  (knee) out

Team Connections
 Doc Rivers coached the Magic from 1999-2004, winning the NBA’s Coach of the Year award in his first season (1999-2000)
Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen were teammates in Seattle from 2003-07
Anthony Johnson and Brian Scalabrine were teammates in New Jersey from 2001-03
Anthony Johnson played for Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season
Vince Carter and Brian Scalabrine were teammates in New Jersey during the 2004-05 season
Vince Carter and Rasheed Wallace are former North Carolina Tar Heels
Anthony Johnson and Shelden Williams were teammates in Atlanta and
Sacramento from 2006-08

Key Matchups 
  vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard 
This is the key matchup between these two teams.  Slowing down Dwight Howard and keeping him off of his favorite spots around the basket is key to slowing down the Magic.  Perk is one of the few centers in the league who has been able to cover Howard one on one.  The Celtics need Perk to contain Howard with single coverage as the Magic have so many outside threats, it is dangerous to double off of any of them. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett  vs  Rashard Lewis 
Another key matchup between these two teams is at the power forward spot.  KG and Lewis both have the ability to play on the perimeter as well as taking the ball inside.  The health of KG is very important in this matchup.  If he is less than 100%, the Magic have an advantage at this spot. 

vs 
Ray Allen vs Vince Carter
Vince Carter has moved ahead of Dwight Howard to become the Magic's leading scorer.  But, he usually has to put up a lot of shots to get his points.  Ray will need the help of the Celtics team defense to keep Carter from going off. 

Honorable Mention
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jason Williams
Jameer Nelson is also back playing his way into shape after his recent injury.   Depending on how Nelson has been progressing, we may see more of a Nelson/Rondo matchup then Williams/Rondo pairing.  Either way, Rondo sets the tone for the Celtics and needs to be aggressive on both ends of the floor. 

Game Notes
• The Magic are currently leading the season series 1-0; the Celtics split the season series 2-2 with Orlando during the 2008-09 season
• Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 23.3 points per game last season
• Dwight Howard averaged 16.8 points, 15.5 rebounds and 4.00 blocks per game against the Celtics last season
• The Celtics are 8-11 against the Magic since the 2004-05 season
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 42-38 with the Celtics 29-11 at home

The Celtics are looking to avenge their earlier loss this season as well as their loss in the playoffs last year.  The feeling among Celtics nation last year was that if the Celtics had a healthy Kevin Garnett, the outcome of that series would have been different.  They lost 83-78 at home to the Magic this season with Kevin Garnett, but many would argue that at that time, KG wasn't fully healthy after coming back from offseason knee surgery.   

The Celtics were dealt a blow Wednesday morning when Pierce had a procedure on his knee to drain infection.  He will miss this game and probably the whole western road trip coming up.  Bill Walker has been recalled from the D League to replace Pierce.  At this point, I'm not sure if they will start Walker or Tony Allen but have put Tony into the starting lineup as he has been playing very well and in the past has responded well when put into a starting role. 

KG sat out the Celtics last game against the Pacers with a thigh bruise.  Doc said that it was just a precaution and that KG would be ready to go for this game.  Again, there are doubters that we are getting the full story.  I guess the fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me rule is in effect.  Hopefully after several days of rest, KG will be 100% in this game because the Celtics will need him. 

The Magic have a good bench with Gortat, Nelson, Barnes, Reddick, Anderson, Bass and Johnson.  The Celtics bench is somewhat weakened with two key players, Marquis Daniels and Big Baby Davis, out with injuries.   The Celtics' reserves need to have strong games to make up for their absence and to keep the Celtics from falling behind when the starters get a rest. 

The Celtics are 12-1 on the road and have played better on the road this season than they have at home.  The Magic are a tough home team, though with an 11-2 record at Amway Arena.   The Celtics are 9-1 in their last 10 games while the Magic are 7-3.   The Celtics are on a 2 game win streak while the Magic have won 3 in a row. 

Keys to the Game
Focus - The Celtics' focus seems to waiver at times and when it happens at the start of games, they fall into a hole that they spend the rest of the game digging out of.  When it happens in the middle of games, they give up leads and allow other teams to go on a run.   But, when the Celtics put their mind to it and focus especially on the defensive end, they can shut down any team in the league and win going away.   The Celtics need to come out focused and keep their focus for 48 minutes.

Defense - Defense is the key to winning. Period. The Celtics have shown that they have the capability of shutting down team and when they play tough defense, the offense runs more smoothly.  But when they falter on defense, it seems as though their game suffers on both ends. 

Rebound - Dwight Howard can take over a game on rebounds and putbacks alone if the Celtics don't box him out and crash the boards as a team.  Rebounding takes effort and desire and the Celtics must show both if they want to win this game.

Ball Movement - The Celtics need to move the ball and find the open man. When they have their passing game going, they are hard to beat. If they resort to too much dribbling and too many iso's, it will allow the Magic defenses to set up and the Celtics will struggle to score. 

X-Factor
Injuries
The X factor in this game will be how well the Celtics respond to playing without Paul Pierce and if KG is back to 100%. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:50:32 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (22-5) at Magic (22-7) 12/25
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm Working...

I think that expresses how i feel.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Frustrating knowing Pierce won't be in there. 

Let's hope for a Merry Christmas and a C's victory.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
While it can be safely said that this game has certainly taken on a different character, I still think it's winnable ... and while the rather large sneakers left empty by our Captain are un-fillable, to say the least, if the rest of this team is playing it's best ball in his stead, we'll be fine.

Paul has stepped up and carried this team on his back many times, and now it's time for the team to step up and show him they're worthy of those past efforts ... and I am confident they can and will. Nice set-up once again, Florida ... as one of my favorite quotes goes: "Sunlight can peep through a wee hole." (TP) ... and Merry Christmas!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:53:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Celtics took Orlando to seven games in the playoffs last season without KG. Even without Pierce, if Garnett plays, the Celtics are capable of beating Orlando.

It'll be a good game, a close matchup, between two excellent sides. Just not the preview of a potential playoff series that many were hoping to see.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:05:36 AM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
God, I'm scared.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:08:24 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think a good matchup will be Tony and Mickael, both play at what seems to be a speed they sometimes cannot control. Hopefully Tony's defense is up for it and keeps Pietrus quiet in the game, I've always felt he has give the C's some trouble in the past.

It's definently a winnable game. Just have to go in there with complete focus (which will be hard on Christmas) and control the game from the beginning.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »

Kiorrik

Bah, first game that I will miss :(

Oh well.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm definitely not as pumped as I was looking forward to this game when Pierce was supposed to play but... still, we really can win it and maybe Orlando will be distracted and complacent because of Pierce's absence.

It will be tough but we can do it and it would be a great Christmas gift! Only if KG plays though, he is listed day to day... but I think he will play.

I expect our team to come out focused and with a mission. Rondo will probably be huge.

I will probably watch the game in "half" since it takes place during dinner.

TP FL and go Celtics, let's make a statement without our Captain!

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I feel the team can beat the Magic without Paul especially if KG plays at a high level and be more offensive minded than he usual is plus everyone else has to step up a notch with their game.Rondo has to come out and set the tone early in both halves,basically keep the Magic on their heels. tp to the OP,nice touch w/thread(canes).   

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
santa tried to put coal in the celtics stocking by having pierce injured.....but the celts are going to tuck that coal directly up the magic's.....well, u know  ;)

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
heart says boston...brain says....orlando big...just don't se boston being able to score enough without PP 18-25 points....plus orlando seems to shoot the 3 better against the Cs than they do anyone else....def. just ruined Christmas.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Hey, there wouldn't be a Bad Tony if there weren't a Good Tony.  I think he, Perk, Ray and Rondo are all capable of a monster game tomorrow.  And it may actually be just as well they're hitting Orlando before the coming stretch wears them down.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
one thing is for sure.....ray is going to have to make shots...and sheed is going to play more minutes.....listen i know tony has been playing well...but to have to depend on him for several games is a scary scary thought....i will be happy if tony and scal can just defend out of that spot and make a few timely hoops...i dont expect or think they will score much at all...just defend...

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
God, I'm scared.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :-\

BUT, if Rondo has one of his triple double games, we have a shot.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson