Author Topic: Brittany Murphy Died  (Read 11809 times)

Re: Brittany Murphy Died
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I could see this girl going from cute b-lister to under appreciated non sell out who had talent as opposed to all the girls of her era who didn't

Ummm, non sellout?  I mean, she had a decent career and all, but this is not Parker Posey.  She did not make her name doing indie movies.  Doing everything from Clueless to Just Married (which my fiance was just given as a present last week by the way), she was not some great young actress, picking and choosing only the best scripts, and shunning the mainstream.  She was about as mainstream as any "B lister" could get.  

Ultimately, you may be right that her legacy may shine brighter since she died at such a young age, but I don't think she is in the same category as Cobain and Ledger who died at the absolute peak of their hype.  Cobain had just done the incredibly successful unplugged, and Ledger just came off Brokeback Mountain, and was already getting crazy hype for his role as the Joker before he died.  

Now, if this happened right after "Girl Interrupted" or something like that, then I think that could be the case with Brittany as well, but as sad as it is, I don't think the timing quite worked out for that kind of legacy.

This is just a very sad story, and I hope the press can treat it with a little more class then they have with other celebrity stories of late, because while I don't think her legacy will grow too much, TMZ and company have the ability to really drag her through the mud if they put their mind to it.

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is just me, but it seems like often celebs do better in death

Kurt Cobain went from popular to rock god

Heath Ledger went from good actor to one of the best of our time

Michael Jackson went from talented punch line to tragic hero with a troubled life

I could see this girl going from cute b-lister to under appreciated non sell out who had talent as opposed to all the girls of her era who didn't

Heath Ledger I will never buy as one of the best of our time. I loved him as the Joker, but come on. 2 good movies?

I think Ledger was just starting to come into his own.  That being said, I actually enjoyed some of his earlier movies.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Ummm, non sellout?  I mean, she had a decent career and all, but this is not Parker Posey.  She did not make her name doing indie movies.  Doing everything from Clueless to Just Married (which my fiance was just given as a present last week by the way), she was not some great young actress, picking and choosing only the best scripts, and shunning the mainstream.  She was about as mainstream as any "B lister" could get.  

Ultimately, you may be right that her legacy may shine brighter since she died at such a young age, but I don't think she is in the same category as Cobain and Ledger who died at the absolute peak of their hype.  Cobain had just done the incredibly successful unplugged, and Ledger just came off Brokeback Mountain, and was already getting crazy hype for his role as the Joker before he died.  

Now, if this happened right after "Girl Interrupted" or something like that, then I think that could be the case with Brittany as well, but as sad as it is, I don't think the timing quite worked out for that kind of legacy.

This is just a very sad story, and I hope the press can treat it with a little more class then they have with other celebrity stories of late, because while I don't think her legacy will grow too much, TMZ and company have the ability to really drag her through the mud if they put their mind to it.
I'm not comparing her to them, but I mean she never got the implants, never did a reality show, didn't make a cruddy album, get a chihuahua, kiss a girl for publicity, try to pretend she was a political activist or anything

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Saw this a couple hours ago, sad to see.

Rest in Peace Brittany Murphy.

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think it was her that had a good song with Paul Van Dyke, "Faster Killer Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.cat" or something like that.  It's always sad to see someone go so young.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Seems she was suspected of having a pretty major drug problem as a recent SNL skit on Weekend Update even went as far as making fun of it.

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 07:06:26 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Heath Ledger I will never buy as one of the best of our time. I loved him as the Joker, but come on. 2 good movies?

He wasn't yet, but he was on his way.  Dude could've settled in and just cranked out romantic comedy dreck a la Matthew McConaughey, but he decided to choose challenging roles (Dark Knight, Brokeback Mountain, Monster's Ball, etc), and to work with talented directors (Ang Lee, Terry Gilliam, Marc Foster, etc).  More actors need to have the kind of mindset.

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Shocked...