Author Topic: Avatar Movie  (Read 25126 times)

Re: Avatar Movie
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 02:13:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Guess I should finally follow up on the tread I created...

I did end up seeing it opening night in IMAX.  I have since strongly recommended this movie to everyone I know as a "must see" in theaters.  Definitely in 3D also.  Despite it being nearly 3 hours in length, I was enthralled throughout the entire movie I'd say.  The thing that really did it for me was the incredible character and planet development.  I really felt that Pandora and the characters were very real and agree with a critic who said that "you felt like you could reach out and touch the planet" not because of the 3D effects haha, but because of how well everything was developed.  The movie made me want to move to Pandora - and feel like it is possible!  The end almost brought a tear to my eye.  The audience didn't give a standing ovation (which I generally don't like if there is nobody there to receive it), but it had that feeling that there would be one.  A friend of mine just told me today that there was one at his showing.

Only thing I disliked about it was how much everything in the movie resembled something past or present from Earth so closely.  It did have some useful symbolic effect, but I wanted something completely different.  I guess that's hard to do, but it was just what I was hoping for.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 02:40:01 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Great movie.  Saw it twice - both times in 3D, once in a regular theater and once in IMAX. 

Storyline is very good, CGI is maybe the best ever.  Good cast in my opinion.  In other words, I agree with most of the posts in this thread, so I won't go into unnecessary detail. 

I actually hope they don't do a sequel - not unless they really put the time and money into it.  Ten years went into the making of this movie, and it showed.  I highly doubt that any sequel would end up having the polish that this has. 

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 03:56:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Great movie.  Saw it twice - both times in 3D, once in a regular theater and once in IMAX. 

Storyline is very good, CGI is maybe the best ever.  Good cast in my opinion.  In other words, I agree with most of the posts in this thread, so I won't go into unnecessary detail. 

I actually hope they don't do a sequel - not unless they really put the time and money into it.  Ten years went into the making of this movie, and it showed.  I highly doubt that any sequel would end up having the polish that this has. 

The 10 years thing is not entirely true.  I think it basically took 3 years.  He finished the draft for this version of the movie around 2006, I believe.  They say it took 10 years, because he had kicked around an Avatar script for a while, shelved it until the technology was ready, and rewrote the script.

Apparently Cameron says there are 2 sequels planned, but the rumor is that they might not take place on Pandora.  Pandora was just one of the moons hovering that massive planet.  I know both of the main characters are signed on for two sequels.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I thought it was good, but almost exclusively because of the 3d scenery and overall beauty.  I'd give it a 'B'

However, the characters are very one-dimensional, the character lines were unimaginative and standard, and the plot (including the ending) was pretty much figured out within the first 10 minutes. 

On a rather related note, I saw Transformers 2 about a week before.  I almost turned it off b/c the writing of it was so bad.  It really bothers me that action films have become all about CGI and graphical effects, and don't put the effort into premier writing or endings.  Instead of trying to make a truly great action movie, the industry knows it can get away with creating as many scenes of things being blown up and still generate good revenue.   

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

+1

Just saw it few hours ago. Liked it a lot. 3D is amazing!

I wanted Stephen Lang character to die so much... In my mind, i was gonna jump to the screen and do it myself :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:58:02 PM by misha »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
In just 17 days, Avatar has surpassed $1 billion in the global box office. To put that in perspective, it took The Dark Knight pretty much its entire theatrical run just to make it to that milestone.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
In just 17 days, Avatar has surpassed $1 billion in the global box office. To put that in perspective, it took The Dark Knight pretty much its entire theatrical run just to make it to that milestone.

talk about global domination haha

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
B+

Thoroughly entertaining so long as you don't think to much.  Without the extraordinary special effects, the contrived story lines and awful voice over/dialogue throughout would have made this unwatchable.  But it's hard to notice the pointlessness of it all when you are spending the whole 2.5 hours going "Ohhhhhhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhh!"  Well worth seeing on the biggest screen you can find, under the influence of whatever you can find...

Sidenote: shock of the whole film -- Michelle Rodreguez is apparently still alive...

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Really bummed.  My wife and I had a rare night out lined up last night.  No one around here was showing this in 3D, so we were all geared up to drive the 40 miles to the nearest theater doing so.  Alas, the snow made the idea of a 40 mile drive to go see a movie seem like too much of a risk for the reward.

Still committed to seeing it in 3D though.  Judging by how well it's doing we should have some time still.

It will be interesting to see how it does on DVD.  It's become the rare theater experience movie.  It's been a while since there was a movie that carried as much "gotta see it on the big screen" clout.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
B+

Thoroughly entertaining so long as you don't think to much.  Without the extraordinary special effects, the contrived story lines and awful voice over/dialogue throughout would have made this unwatchable.  But it's hard to notice the pointlessness of it all when you are spending the whole 2.5 hours going "Ohhhhhhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhh!"  Well worth seeing on the biggest screen you can find, under the influence of whatever you can find...

Sidenote: shock of the whole film -- Michelle Rodreguez is apparently still alive...

This is a thinking man's film.

The 3D and visuals overshadows the greater message.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Strange, but I think in order to get a proper handle on how good this movie is, I think I'm definitely going to have to see it more than once. I was thoroughly entertained for the 3 hours or so I was watching this but I think it might have been due to the beauty of the movie and awe inspiring effects the IMAX 3D created. The story was good enough to entertain me without insulting me but after the movie was over and I thought about the story behind the movie, the more I wanted to go watch the movie and pay a lot more attention to the story itself and the subtleties of the gaia, the greater sense of meaning and the awareness of oneness with your environment and home.

I think I'll wait a month and then see it with all the sensory effects and see what I get out of the story of Avatar. For now though, I have to say I love the experience of watching this movie though I'm not sure that makes the movie a good movie or a good experience. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until I see it again. In that respect, I guess James Cameron did his job as well as can be expected though again I'm not sure that makes it a good movie.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
B+

I can't speak for Reggie's Ghost, but without the special effects the movie isn't particularly good.  The greater message requires little thought to see, and there wasn't much depth in the lines either.  Entertaining, yes.  Deep, no.

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
B+

I can't speak for Reggie's Ghost, but without the special effects the movie isn't particularly good.  The greater message requires little thought to see, and there wasn't much depth in the lines either.  Entertaining, yes.  Deep, no.

Hahahaha! Too funny (TP to you both)...

Yeah, the more you think about the story the worse it gets.  Like I said, it would be unwatchable if it weren't such a visual spectacle, but with the break-through special effects you'd hardly notice the endless discrepancies, discontinuities, and errors in plot.  Had a blast watching it tho...

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I saw (and enjoyed) the movie, not in 3D. Maybe it's my age, but while I (somewhat) enjoy the quality of the computer animation it still strikes me as high-tech cartoons.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
You have to look fairly deep to see the true meaning of the film.