Author Topic: How you doin'!?  (Read 75014 times)

Re: How you doin'!?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »

Kiorrik

Practice works, aye. I strive to play at least half an hour a day. Even if it's in blocks of five minutes (while waiting for the Pizza to be done, waiting 'till I gotta leave to basketball practice, work etc.)

Also, I often record my random "jams" so I can listen to them later, to see if anything sounds good/bad :')

To get better at strumming, I play easy stuff, and to get better at switching between chords I just play random chords that sound good together :]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:41:12 AM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I used to play, too.  I had a few lessons, but never was that good.   When I was waiting for the callouses to form I switched to nylon strings (folk music was my genre) and switched back and forth beween a guitar with steel and the nylon until I could play without pain.  When you learn five or six chords, get a capo and you can play (basic strum or pick) and then go from there.  Lessons are a good idea, though, or maybe a knowledgable friend who can teach you how to switch chords and strumming techniques.  Even if you can't read music you can probably figure out chording (left hand) although it takes time to get the fingers to stretch to some unusual positions while holding the strings tight enough to get sound out of them.  Practice, practice, practice.

Yup ... practice is the key ... I also taught myself to read as well ... out of necessity. I was always the one in the band responsible for learning the songs, so I would buy the record, take it home, and plug away. I slowly learned not only the chords, but how to build the chords, and what scales to play over them. Now I can tell what type of chord there is just by listening, all from being forced to write out charts for the bands all those years. It's obviously much more productive if you take lessons, but it's not impossible to become good by being self-taught, especially if you have the desire. The only time it became a problem was when I got to Berklee, because my proficiency was very high and was what got me accepted there, but as far as note reading, (not chord charts), I had to start at the beginning. It was like starting over on one side, and yet I could go to jazz ensemble in the evening and play my butt off improvising. It was humbling to be able to play so well but yet have to start at the beginning with note-reading. That was the time I regretted not having taken lessons ... so if you can take lessons, I'd recommend it, just so your that much further ahead later on. It was embarrasing to have people hear how well I could play, then have them put a note chart in front of me and have to tell them I couldn't read it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Practice works, aye. I strive to play at least half an hour a day. Even if it's in blocks of five minutes (while waiting for the Pizza to be done, waiting 'till I gotta leave to basketball practice, work etc.)

Also, I often record my random "jams" so I can listen to them later, to see if anything sounds good/bad :')

To get better at strumming, I play easy stuff, and to get better at switching between chords I just play random chords that sound good together :]

I learned on an acoustic, too, so don't let that discourage you either. I had this Kasuga 12-string that was horrible to play ... the action was horrendous and the strings were like an inch off the fretboard, lol! But when I finally got my first electric, it was like heaven! I was used to having to press down so much harder, so my hand strength was way ahead of where it would have been if I'd learned on electric.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »

Kiorrik

Alright you pro's you.

Tell me one thing; how the hell did you learn to do this kind of ish:

Is there a trick to it? 'cuz I'm really struggling with stuff like that. Not even trying even, that's how impossible they seem.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Alright you pro's you.

Tell me one thing; how the hell did you learn to do this kind of ish:

Is there a trick to it? 'cuz I'm really struggling with stuff like that. Not even trying even, that's how impossible they seem.

That's just a first-position major bar chord ... the key is getting your index finger strong to bar the fret ... then positioning the others. Bar chords will become easy once you have the strength in your hand/fingers.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »

Kiorrik

That's just a first-position major bar chord ... the key is getting your index finger strong to bar the fret ... then positioning the others. Bar chords will become easy once you have the strength in your hand/fingers.
Thanks, now I feel like a sissy :') hahaha

Oh man, I'll just have to practice those a lot. I'll get them down [dang]it. That's my next assignment I guess. Stupid barré chords.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thanks, now I feel like a sissy :') hahaha

Oh man, I'll just have to practice those a lot. I'll get them down [dang]it. That's my next assignment I guess. Stupid barré chords.

No, don't feel that way ... they're very hard to play, and definitely not beginner stuff, so even attempting them is valiant. Most people learn open chords first, then move on to bar chords, jazz chords, etc. The hardest are called mu chords, which Michael Becker of Steely Dan made famous, (which gave them their distinctive sound), some of which can cover six frets. Bar chords are not easy, Bud, so don't get discouraged ... it's all about hand strength, and that will come.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »

Kiorrik

some of which can cover six frets.
Lies!

Top put it in maths:
> 3 frets = impossible

;)

No, don't feel that way ... they're very hard to play, and definitely not beginner stuff, so even attempting them is valiant. Most people learn open chords first, then move on to bar chords, jazz chords, etc. The hardest are called mu chords, which Michael Becker of Steely Dan made famous, (which gave them their distinctive sound), some of which can cover six frets. Bar chords are not easy, Bud, so don't get discouraged ... it's all about hand strength, and that will come.
I'm alright m8. I just have to figure out a way to work on playing them without getting frustrated. See the thing with open Chords is; they sound well if you play them one by one. All you need to do is learn to switch chords as fast as possible, but you can speed that up as you come along over weeks/months.

But getting barre chords to sound well is rather hard. Incorporating them into tunes is even harder.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
some of which can cover six frets.
Lies!

Top put it in maths:
> 3 frets = impossible

;)

I'm alright m8. I just have to figure out a way to work on playing them without getting frustrated. See the thing with open Chords is; they sound well if you play them one by one. All you need to do is learn to switch chords as fast as possible, but you can speed that up as you come along over weeks/months.

But getting barre chords to sound well is rather hard. Incorporating them into tunes is even harder.

Ahh ... frustration, the bane of the artistic, (along with melancholy) ... it's weird how you can go along for weeks feeling like you haven't learned anything, then all in one day you make these huge jumps and you have this revelation of accomplishment. Still happens to me to this day .... but during all those frustrating, boring periods, you really are learning, it's just in such small doses that it's difficult to perceive. Eventually they all stack up and it feels like this huge jump all at once. I love those rare days of recognition, when it seems like you've climbed this mountain and everything becomes clear ... makes it all worthwhile.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Kiorrik

Ahh ... frustration, the bane of the artistic, (along with melancholy) ... it's weird how you can go along for weeks feeling like you haven't learned anything, then all in one day you make these huge jumps and you have this revelation of accomplishment. Still happens to me to this day .... but during all those frustrating, boring periods, you really are learning, it's just in such small doses that it's difficult to perceive. Eventually they all stack up and it feels like this huge jump all at once. I love those rare days of recognition, when it seems like you've climbed this mountain and everything becomes clear ... makes it all worthwhile.
So true. I have that in every aspect of life. Love, work, sports, other hobbies (I have a gazillion) etc. Fantastic to make those jumps. They give me the power to live tbh. I feed offa those, and not a week goes by without me making a jump in some area. I love it.

Hey, I think I'm going to record what I can play right now. It's only been a couple of months but I want you guys to hear it. You might have a hint or two :D Don't expect anything other than weird noises tho lol

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
So true. I have that in every aspect of life. Love, work, sports, other hobbies (I have a gazillion) etc. Fantastic to make those jumps. They give me the power to live tbh. I feed offa those, and not a week goes by without me making a jump in some area. I love it.

Hey, I think I'm going to record what I can play right now. It's only been a couple of months but I want you guys to hear it. You might have a hint or two :D Don't expect anything other than weird noises tho lol

Sweet, Bud ... would love to hear it!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Kiorrik

Recording with an Iphone is crap :]] Had it way too close, so lots of noise. Also, I play too loud for someone who hasn't yet got the strength to keep the strings down.

Would you listen to something that is unedited or should I fiddle about a bit with some editing software to get the worst bits out? hahaha

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Kiorrik

Must be great being the punter.  A guy takes you out below the knee, and 60 thousand people cheer.
That's as offtopic as anything I guess ;)
.edit ARGH I can't delete this :P Go for it, Redz!

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Recording with an Iphone is crap :]] Had it way too close, so lots of noise. Also, I play too loud for someone who hasn't yet got the strength to keep the strings down.

Would you listen to something that is unedited or should I fiddle about a bit with some editing software to get the worst bits out? hahaha

I'll listen to anything, Bud ... I'm not particular, and I don't judge. With learning an instrument especially, everyone is where they're at, and everyone else has either been there or WILL be there, ya know? ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

Kiorrik

This will have to wait a bit I guess. My Iphone is being a naste lil c to the "you and tee". (decipher that and win a TP :p)

I'll have to download it from that thing after I've put all the music I have on this laptop, or else I'll lose every single music file that's on there right now. Crappy software. If someone has a program to download every file on your Iphone to your PC, I'd like to hear >_<