Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948554 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #990 on: March 07, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Vertigo
8/10
Alfred Hitchcock classic starring Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. This was a good movie, not Hitchcock's best though. It seemed rushed. There wasn't enough closure for any of the characters. As soon as the film hits its climax... it's over. It seemed like there was no conclusion and I found that disappointing. Character development was very good, acting was terrific, the emotions seemed real, the plot was interesting, and the twist was fairly good.

An Education
6/10
I couldn't get by the plot. Carey Mulligan plays a very naive although very likable English girl who is planning on attending Oxford. She falls for an older man who I would say is at least 10 years older than her but I don't believe his age is ever mentioned. Her parents allow her to see him multiple times and seem to even fall for him themselves. I didn't find this realistic and thus did not really enjoy the film. I liked Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard as the "love" interest. I may have liked the movie more if Mulligan's character snuck around behind her parents back. I would have considered that to be more believable.

Alice in Wonderland
6/10
(The Tim Burton version)
I've actually never seen the Disney animated classic from the '50s (I think that's when it was made). This movie was interesting... I'm not really sure who's supposed to like this movie. I can't see little kids enjoying and I definitely can't see most adults liking it. I actually thought it was going to be much better with people like Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Anne Hathaway being involved.

Date Night
6/10
Not a bad comedy... not a good comedy either. Some things made me laugh out loud. I probably wouldn't watch it again but it was funny to watch once.
I though An Education was amazing.

Perhaps you missed the fact that it is a period movie. It takes place in the 60s. That is why it is believable for the parents to accept the older man who seems to have good prospects. I agree that it would not be believable in a modern context.

« Reply #991 on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Blue Valentine. Excellent movie with excellent performances.

Ryan Gosling is one of my favorite actors and he is in his zone once again playing a self-destructive loser whose life is falling apart (like in Half Nelson & True Believer). I watched with someone I was dating, which was an odd choice considering the story.

« Reply #992 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Two Lovers. Good film but not for everyone.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #993 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Vertigo
8/10
Alfred Hitchcock classic starring Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. This was a good movie, not Hitchcock's best though. It seemed rushed. There wasn't enough closure for any of the characters. As soon as the film hits its climax... it's over. It seemed like there was no conclusion and I found that disappointing. Character development was very good, acting was terrific, the emotions seemed real, the plot was interesting, and the twist was fairly good.

An Education
6/10
I couldn't get by the plot. Carey Mulligan plays a very naive although very likable English girl who is planning on attending Oxford. She falls for an older man who I would say is at least 10 years older than her but I don't believe his age is ever mentioned. Her parents allow her to see him multiple times and seem to even fall for him themselves. I didn't find this realistic and thus did not really enjoy the film. I liked Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard as the "love" interest. I may have liked the movie more if Mulligan's character snuck around behind her parents back. I would have considered that to be more believable.

Alice in Wonderland
6/10
(The Tim Burton version)
I've actually never seen the Disney animated classic from the '50s (I think that's when it was made). This movie was interesting... I'm not really sure who's supposed to like this movie. I can't see little kids enjoying and I definitely can't see most adults liking it. I actually thought it was going to be much better with people like Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Anne Hathaway being involved.

Date Night
6/10
Not a bad comedy... not a good comedy either. Some things made me laugh out loud. I probably wouldn't watch it again but it was funny to watch once.

Perhaps you missed the fact that it is a period movie. It takes place in the 60s. That is why it is believable for the parents to accept the older man who seems to have good prospects. I agree that it would not be believable in a modern context.

Nope, I realized that. My mom would have been growing up at around the same time period... and my grandparents would never have let her go out with a man that old and abandon her school work the way Mulligan's character did. In the beginning of the film the father was very strict and then he was suddenly swept off his feet after a 1 minute conversation with Sarsgaard's character. He didn't ask him any questions or try to understand what his intentions were with his daughter.

« Reply #994 on: March 07, 2011, 12:22:51 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Vertigo
8/10

An Education
6/10

Alice in Wonderland
6/10
(The Tim Burton version)

Date Night
6/10

I enjoy your reviews, Matt. TP...How is the movie blog you started coming along?

I've watched Date Night...and I agree with your rating. An education, I would probably give that a 5...didn't like it.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:11 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Vertigo
8/10

An Education
6/10

Alice in Wonderland
6/10
(The Tim Burton version)

Date Night
6/10

Nope, I realized that. My mom would have been growing up at around the same time period... and my grandparents would never have let her go out with a man that old and abandon her school work the way Mulligan's character did. In the beginning of the film the father was very strict and then he was suddenly swept off his feet after a 1 minute conversation with Sarsgaard's character. He didn't ask him any questions or try to understand what his intentions were with his daughter.
It was also in England.

I too could not relate to the situations with the parents. Yet I don't have a problem with the intentions part because the father could have easily felt that the intentions were implicit and the father seemed to feel his daughter hit the jackpot.

Edit: regarding the plot, the story was based on a memoir, though the movie character was younger. Having a guy known for man-novels do the screenplay was an odd choice, but I thought he did a great job.

« Reply #996 on: March 07, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Vertigo
8/10

An Education
6/10

Alice in Wonderland
6/10
(The Tim Burton version)

Date Night
6/10

I enjoy your reviews, Matt. TP...How is the movie blog you started coming along?

I've watched Date Night...and I agree with your rating. An education, I would probably give that a 5...didn't like it.

Thanks BFM... TP back to you!

That blog I had created was an assignment for a class (Mass Media & Public Relations). Everybody in the class had to create a blog and produce at least 2 posts. One other student and I actually enjoyed the assignment and continued posting and in return the Professor continued viewing and he clicked on all of the ads on our blogs because that would in turn make us money. I guess he clicked our ads too much from the same location and Google found that to be very suspicious and they suspended my AdSense account and the other student's account one week before we were supposed to be sent our first checks. I would have made $20. I wrote a long petition letter to Google asking them to reconsider. After all, I wasn't clicking the ads myself and I had no control over my Professor choosing to click them. Google refused to repeal the suspension and then I stopped writing on the blog out of frustration.

I looked into it some more as well. As it turns out Google suspends A LOT of AdSense accounts right before they are supposed to pay their advertisers. I guess they get as much out of you as they can and then as soon as you apply to have a check sent to you they shut you down.

« Reply #997 on: March 07, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Due Date - I like Zach Galifianakis, and I really like Robert Downey Jr., but oh boy was this bad.  They had zero chemistry together, and both characters were unlikeable.

It was supposedly a comedy but there weren't a lot of laughs.  Unless you think a grown man punching a child in the stomach and spitting in a dog's face is funny, this isn't the movie for you.  If you do think that's funny, then you have bigger problems.  Not to mention they add a pointless Jamie Foxx cameo and imply he's the real father of RDJ's wife's baby.  Apparently that also is supposed to be humorous.

2/10 - Gets a bonus point because there were a couple mild laughs, and it was only 90 minutes.  Still, NOT recommended.

« Reply #998 on: March 07, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Tried to see all the Oscar movies before the oscars, luckily I was on February Vacation and had a couple bad snow storms to get to that task...

Last couple weeks I saw Winters Bone, True Grit, Kids are alright, and The Kings speech...

The Kings Speech was pretty incredible, great performances and just overall very well done.

True Grit was also great, Bridges was phenominal and so was the 14 year old girl. She got robbed of the Oscar gold.

Kids are Alright was alright. Julianne Moore got robbed of a nomination and was much better then Annette whatever he name is. Pretty dramatic movie, wasn't too bad.

I couldnt get into winters bone at all. Performances were good but it wasn't very exciting and it was somewhat hard to follow.

« Reply #999 on: March 07, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

I couldnt get into winters bone at all. Performances were good but it wasn't very exciting and it was somewhat hard to follow.

I liked it but the end spoiled it for me, just seemed way over the top.  It also made me never want to leave New England  ;D

« Reply #1000 on: March 11, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I enjoyed Winter's Bone as well.  Prolly my favorite of all the movies nominated for Best Picture.

Movies I've seen lately.

Isolation- Irish Horror movie.  Felt a lot like Ridley Scott's Alien, which if you are going to borrow from a movie, you could do much worse.  It was well made, but a little slow.

Capturing the Friedmans- Wow.  Heard about this doc years ago, but just got around to watching it now.  It definitely earned all its praise.  Powerful stuff.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room- Another good documentary.  Shows the arrogance, hubris, and greed that seems to be par for course in corporate America right now.

« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
If anyone gets to see "Battle Los Angeles", I'd love to hear what it's like, (TPs involved). Thanks!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Watched "Gladiator" again ... the fact that Joaquin Phoenix did not win Best Supporting Actor Award for that film is one of the great tragedies in modern film history. Absolutely one of the most incredibly intense character roles ever filmed ... he is an amazing actor.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1003 on: March 13, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
I've watched Black Swan twice in the last three days. Once by myself and once with the girlfriend. Solid movie. Also, I watched District 9 a couple days ago as well. D9 is one of those movies where it's exponentially better the second time you see it.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #1004 on: March 13, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »

Online letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Movie called Throttle, low budget, but not too bad.