Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 952916 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #915 on: February 02, 2011, 12:18:58 AM »

Offline rtifishul

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Please do not waste your money on that terrible Ashton Kutcher mistake, No Strings Attached. It is terrible even by rom-com standards.

« Reply #916 on: February 02, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »

Offline Green Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
The classic Requiem for a Dream. Was looking through my 160 DVD collection for something rather messed up, depressing, and all around intense. Truly will stick in your mind for days after viewing, whether it's the first or tenth time around, Amazing.

« Reply #917 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The classic Requiem for a Dream. Was looking through my 160 DVD collection for something rather messed up, depressing, and all around intense. Truly will stick in your mind for days after viewing, whether it's the first or tenth time around, Amazing.

Yes. I like Trainspotting more (because its a little less dark I suppose) but that movie will stick with you like gum on your shoe.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #918 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
McCabe and Mrs. Miller  (1971)

The opening scene shows an anonymous rider coming slowly into this frontier mining town in the Pacific northwest in the dead of winter all bundled up so you can't see his face, with Leonard Cohen's haunting voice in the background singing:  "just some Joseph looking for a manger".
The final scene takes place in a snowstorm, and there was a snowstorm taking place outside my window at the same time.  So I was into this movie, I'd say.

This is a Robert Altman film, so there is a lot going on most of the time, and you're thrown into the thick of it.  It's a western, and it had to be the inspiration for Deadwood.
It tells the unpredictable story of a town being built from scratch and the people who migrate there in search of fortune, freedom, adventure..., displaying a mix of self-reliance and community spirit.  There is nothing sentimental or mythical about this movie, but it does contain a measure of redemption in the midst of frontier "justice".

It gets five-stars from me.

« Reply #919 on: February 02, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Weekend family movie night:

Toy Story 3
Shreck Forever
Eclipse
Sorcere Aprentice
Inception

I am not going to go further

ahhh

and sunday morning

Cars and Nemo
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #920 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Ha ha, Edgar.  My husband has been a mentor for a few years now, and the boy (Jake) is now 13 years old.  I tease him that he only became a mentor because it gave him a perfect excuse to go to all the cartoon movies!  Fortunately for him, Jake is also growing up to be a cartoon junkie, so he doesn't have to give it up yet.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #921 on: February 02, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Ha ha, Edgar.  My husband has been a mentor for a few years now, and the boy (Jake) is now 13 years old.  I tease him that he only became a mentor because it gave him a perfect excuse to go to all the cartoon movies!  Fortunately for him, Jake is also growing up to be a cartoon junkie, so he doesn't have to give it up yet.

Secret of youth

be a Peter Pan and find each others Wendy

Nice to be back!

« Reply #922 on: February 02, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I was making myself nuts last week, waiting anxiously for an important phone call.  So I decided to see what was out there for comedies on the Netflix instant view.  I ended up watching "Balls Out:  Gary the Dennis Coach"...Very low brow, stupid humor, that was absolutely perfect for the occasion.  I found myself chuckling quite a bit.   Funny cameo from from Randy Quaid.   Definitely not a movie I would have ever thought I'd watch (and I'm not even sure I'd recommend it), but it did the trick to kill some time mindlessly.

http://amzn.to/fP8qrF

Yup

« Reply #923 on: February 02, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Sorcere Aprentice

is this the nicholas cage movie?  if so, how was it.  i love fantasia and the sorcerer apprentice short in that film, so im fearful this film was cheesy.

« Reply #924 on: February 02, 2011, 03:57:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Sorcere Aprentice

is this the nicholas cage movie?  if so, how was it.  i love fantasia and the sorcerer apprentice short in that film, so im fearful this film was cheesy.

U know..

Its not that bad

the only related scene is kind of short and only makes a small remembrance of fantasia music in the famous scene, but over all I like the movie.

I didnt put that much mind on it but it worth the 2 bucks I paid for watching it with my wife .And probably a little more.

I can recommend it as a good way to spend 1 hour and 20

Nice to be back!

« Reply #925 on: February 02, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Sorcere Aprentice

U know..

Its not that bad

the only related scene is kind of short and only makes a small remembrance of fantasia music in the famous scene, but over all I like the movie.

I didnt put that much mind on it but it worth the 2 bucks I paid for watching it with my wife .And probably a little more.

I can recommend it as a good way to spend 1 hour and 20

good to hear.  i LOVE disney

« Reply #926 on: February 02, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Last night saw "the way back".....excellent....had not read anything about it but wanted to go to the movies....Ed Harris and Colin Farrell are in it...it's about a break out of a war prison in Siberia in 1940 and the trip to freedom

« Reply #927 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Last night I saw "Brick", a 2005 movie starring Jospeh Gordon-Levitt.

Fantastic movie that I think alone has to be credited for it's plot and theme originality.

The film is basically of the film noir category but instead of the dark and sinister city as its setting, it focuses in on a high school.

Jospeh G-L is the detective type character, there is also a femme fatale and many other devices commonly associated with film noir.

Superb acting, great script, great photography. Highly recommended!

« Reply #928 on: February 02, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

That's a classic in my book, love that film. I'd watch that just to listen to the score. Truly a masterpiece (imo) both visually and musically.

« Reply #929 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Last night I saw "Brick", a 2005 movie starring Jospeh Gordon-Levitt.

Fantastic movie that I think alone has to be credited for it's plot and theme originality.

The film is basically of the film noir category but instead of the dark and sinister city as its setting, it focuses in on a high school.

Jospeh G-L is the detective type character, there is also a femme fatale and many other devices commonly associated with film noir.

Superb acting, great script, great photography. Highly recommended!

Brick was an awesome movie, and it was very smartly done and well executed, but it was not original. That's like saying True Grit was original.

True Grit is based off of the novel "Red Harvest" by Dashel Hammit, which is one of my favorite books of all time.

Red Harvest inspired Miller's Crossing (another awesome film noir), Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which was the inspiration for the western "A FiEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l of Dollars", as well as Bruce WIllis's "Last Man Standing".

Loved Brick, but just wanted to make sure everyone knows..its an homage, not an original film.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner