Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948536 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #900 on: January 24, 2011, 01:44:44 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
went diggin in the dvd collection tonight :)

BOOM! that's where it's at. Me and my friend were watching Kung Fu flicks all night the other night.

tp  :)

« Reply #901 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:34 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Takers, I loved seeing T.I and Chris Brown, those two did a great job, and the movie by itself was 7-8 / 10
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Nobody taking me up on calling out The Town for glorifying criminals?  Agree, disagree am I alone out here?  Yes it's just a movie & not bad entertainment but could & should have taught a better lesson.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford  (2007)

(Recommended by MattG12.  Thanks.)

I really enjoyed this movie, which was quite different from most westerns.  Not really a shoot-em-up action adventure. Psychological character studies of outlaws, filled with tension and drama. Grand scenery and noir photography, though.

In my opinion, any movie over two hours is too long, but the scene of Nick Cave singing in the bar was worth waiting for.

TP for the review.

I'm glad you liked it for the most part... you gave an excellent description. I'm a bit of an extreme movie lover and probably an outlier in that in my opinion any movie that is under 2 hours is too short. I love long, in depth movies... but i can completely understand why somebody would consider "The Assassination..." too long.

If you like a different kind of western, you've probably seen "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" (1971).  If not, check it out.  Unlikely couple teaming up, interesting character studies, spectacular scenery and photography.  What I like best in movies is photography and story, and this one includes both.

Then there's "The Wild Bunch" (1969).  Probably the grittiest western ever made.  Exceptional cast of despicable characters whom you find yourself admiring at the end for their heroism based on loyalty and brotherhood.  (A morality play of sorts.)  (And over two hours to boot!) 

« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Nobody taking me up on calling out The Town for glorifying criminals?  Agree, disagree am I alone out here?  Yes it's just a movie & not bad entertainment but could & should have taught a better lesson.

I could see the argument about "glorifying criminals"... but I dont know, 3 of the criminals died because of it. And I didnt see it as an act of glory when they went. Affleck got away but he was in the process of turning his life around. The money he stole ended up going to something good, doesnt make it right in any means but at least he realized his wrongs and tried to make something good out of it.

« Reply #905 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:37 AM »

Offline megan8788

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
the last movie that i watched is Black Swan of Natalie Portman. It was a fantastic movie. The dance And music in the movie is amazing.

« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford  (2007)

(Recommended by MattG12.  Thanks.)

I really enjoyed this movie, which was quite different from most westerns.  Not really a shoot-em-up action adventure. Psychological character studies of outlaws, filled with tension and drama. Grand scenery and noir photography, though.

In my opinion, any movie over two hours is too long, but the scene of Nick Cave singing in the bar was worth waiting for.

TP for the review.

I'm glad you liked it for the most part... you gave an excellent description. I'm a bit of an extreme movie lover and probably an outlier in that in my opinion any movie that is under 2 hours is too short. I love long, in depth movies... but i can completely understand why somebody would consider "The Assassination..." too long.

If you like a different kind of western, you've probably seen "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" (1971).  If not, check it out.  Unlikely couple teaming up, interesting character studies, spectacular scenery and photography.  What I like best in movies is photography and story, and this one includes both.

Then there's "The Wild Bunch" (1969).  Probably the grittiest western ever made.  Exceptional cast of despicable characters whom you find yourself admiring at the end for their heroism based on loyalty and brotherhood.  (A morality play of sorts.)  (And over two hours to boot!)  

I've never seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller... and I have seen The Wild Bunch but it was a while ago, I would love to rewatch it. Thanks for the suggestions! TP to you!

« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I watched "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers" for school. Both of these films were directed by Clint Eastwood.

Letters From Iwo Jima: 8/10
Flags of Our Fathers: 7/10

The movies are very good paired up. You get a good feel of American perspective and Japanese perspective for the battles that took place in the pacific region in WWII. Letters (The Japanese perspective) was a much better film in my opinion. It had a lot more emotion, the acting was better, the feel was better, etc. Both movies were nowhere near perfect, but they are definitely worth it to watch.

« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
The Kids Are All Right (...whose moral was: Gay people are good, straight people go to hell. (Not really kidding 'bout that.))
Anything's possibbulllllll

« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
My wife made me watch that Valentine movie. Guess what? It's a total chick flick.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #910 on: February 01, 2011, 01:16:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
"The Deer Hunter" ... it's been a long time ... I'd forgotten what a powerful, intense, cinematic masterpiece it was. Robert De Niro, George Dzundza, Meryl Streep, Christopher Walken, John Cazale, John Savage, Chuck Aspegren ... I think it won five Academy Awards and was nominated for four more, all easily deserved. Awesome flick ... highly recommended, (but not for kids).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #911 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:37 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

While I appreciate a good movie with a good message, I don't think it is film's responsibility to teach moral lessons.

« Reply #912 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

While I appreciate a good movie with a good message, I don't think it is film's responsibility to teach moral lessons.

+1. The thing I really hate is when people watch a movie though and get the wrong message..like when racists only quote the parts they like from American History X.

I don't think The Town was misleading at all, and it was a good flick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #913 on: February 01, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
"The Deer Hunter" ... it's been a long time ... I'd forgotten what a powerful, intense, cinematic masterpiece it was. Robert De Niro, George Dzundza, Meryl Streep, Christopher Walken, John Cazale, John Savage, Chuck Aspegren ... I think it won five Academy Awards and was nominated for four more, all easily deserved. Awesome flick ... highly recommended, (but not for kids).

Agreed.  Christopher Walken and Robert De Niro are fantastic in that movie.  So is John Savage, who I think it criminally underrated.

« Reply #914 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:19 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
The Kids Are All Right (...whose moral was: Gay people are good, straight people go to hell. (Not really kidding 'bout that.))

I don't understand how you could come up with this viewpoint after watching that movie.