Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 953597 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
127 Hours, the story of Aaron Ralston's canyoneering accident, where he got pinned under a boulder, and had to amputate his arm.

Just a freaking powerhouse performance from James Franco. I think there are literally 6 people that actually say another line on screen. Just a great film from a great director (Danny Boyle). 8.5 out of 10, and I hate doing ratings.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
127 Hours, the story of Aaron Ralston's canyoneering accident, where he got pinned under a boulder, and had to amputate his arm.

Just a freaking powerhouse performance from James Franco. I think there are literally 6 people that actually say another line on screen. Just a great film from a great director (Danny Boyle). 8.5 out of 10, and I hate doing ratings.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but read the story a while ago ... very compelling story, and just an amazing display of courage and the strength of the human spirit and it's will to persevere. Can't wait to see the film now, thanks for the review, IP.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I just watched The Squid and the Whale. It's not a new movie, but I've meaning to watch it since forever, and I'm glad I did. It's a good movie, but it can be a little quirky at times. Jeff Daniels and Jesse Eisenberg really make this movie what it is.
I loved that movie. Both actors were incredible.

the actors definitely came to play.

Noah Baumbach first film "Kicking and Screaming" is one of my favorite films of all time. Please don't get this confused with the Will Ferrell soccer movie.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I watched The King's Speech last night.

Great movie. If you like good acting and witty drama, it is a good choice. Not for the action fans or those with short attention spans.

« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I watched The King's Speech last night.

Great movie. If you like good acting and witty drama, it is a good choice. Not for the action fans or those with short attention spans.

From what I've read its more british than Neville Chamberlain drinking tea eating a pork and apple pasty, while listening to the beatles.

I've also read that it is an amazing film.

« Reply #830 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
cars
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #831 on: January 10, 2011, 01:32:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Devil

The first movie by M Night Shyamalan that I have enjoyed since Unbreakable.

5 people get trapped in an elevator, mayhem ensues. The idea is that one of the people is the devil.

I didn't get the "devil conversation" that I love. You know the one, where the devil slowly reveals things about yourself that he/she has no way of knowing, until at the end, big reveal, its the devil.

This was more pull the rug out, with some elements of suspense and horror, and some heavy moments with a dark camera and ominous sounds, that were a little forced. Kind of like in a play when the lights go out and then one of the cast members is killed, but you don't see it.

But beyond that, I sincerely didn't see the ending coming (and in a M Night movie, you're guessing at what the big reveal is the whole time, so at some point you settle on a theory, yadda yadda). I really enjoyed it, very well acted and directed (although it should be noted that M Night only had the story, the screenplay and direction were others).

IMDB gives it a 6.5 out of 10, and i don't think that's a bad rating. I'd go as far as 7, 7.5 though. Worth watching.

« Reply #832 on: January 10, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Saw The Fighter, and I must say it should be the movie of the year (2010). Was absolutely fantastic.  Bale was phenomenal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:13:59 PM by Kwhit10 »

« Reply #833 on: January 10, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Saw Black Swan this past weekend, Crazy Crazy Movie
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #834 on: January 10, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Saw "The Fighter" and it was great like everyone says, and yes Bale deserves an award, one of the best perfomances of his career in this one.

One knock I have to put against it though is the lackluster boxing scenes.  Up until late in the movie they were all super quick and heavily edited (which is okay) but later on they just aren't interesting.  In the fight where Ward is getting beaten on and not throwing punches until he wins with the big body shot he literally didn't throw a punch until that end part, I don't think at least.  It was way overdone to that extent, he had to have thrown more than those few punches in a whole [dang] fight, it would have been called off.  And the fight at the end was kind of lackluster too.

They seemed to be going for almost Raging Bull with how it was exagerrated and with a lot of punches being thrown, though it wasn't trying to be as brutal as that film was.  Really though it was just heavily edited and exaggerated and it was the weakest part of the movie, which is unfortunate since it is a boxing movie.

However it doesn't kill the movie or anything because while its a sports movie, it's really about the personal story.  Just with how that was all handled I would have liked some more realistic looking boxing.

Really great, I highly reccomend it to everyone.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #835 on: January 10, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Michael Mann also did an amazing job with Collateral which I highly reccomend if you haven't seen that.  I'm sure you will like it if you enjoy Heat that much.  The bank heist in Heat is one of the best scenes ever but I like Collateral more overall.

Ya I have seen Collateral. While it is also a very good movie, I still prefer Heat. But the atmosphere created in Collateral is sensational. The dark night in the LA streets, combined with the music, it's really something to behold. The feeling Mann creates in Collateral is astounding. Plus it was a great job by Tom Cruise.

I really agree with the atmosphere, well done by Mann who is excellent at uniting sound and visuals, and the Tom Cruise performance is just fantastic.  Foxx was good too but there was just a unique quality to Cruise's character where you can't tell who he is and what act he's putting on or if it is an act at all.  It's a really interesting and compelling performance and I can't think of a more interesting one that Cruise has done.  It's my favorite of his for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Michael Mann also did an amazing job with Collateral which I highly reccomend if you haven't seen that.  I'm sure you will like it if you enjoy Heat that much.  The bank heist in Heat is one of the best scenes ever but I like Collateral more overall.

Ya I have seen Collateral. While it is also a very good movie, I still prefer Heat. But the atmosphere created in Collateral is sensational. The dark night in the LA streets, combined with the music, it's really something to behold. The feeling Mann creates in Collateral is astounding. Plus it was a great job by Tom Cruise.

I really agree with the atmosphere, well done by Mann who is excellent at uniting sound and visuals, and the Tom Cruise performance is just fantastic.  Foxx was good too but there was just a unique quality to Cruise's character where you can't tell who he is and what act he's putting on or if it is an act at all.  It's a really interesting and compelling performance and I can't think of a more interesting one that Cruise has done.  It's my favorite of his for sure.

Collateral is a very underrated movie.  I must agree it was one of Cruises best performances (at least recently).  And the atmosphere is pretty much perfect in that movie.

« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Saw "The Fighter" and it was great like everyone says, and yes Bale deserves an award, one of the best perfomances of his career in this one.

One knock I have to put against it though is the lackluster boxing scenes.  Up until late in the movie they were all super quick and heavily edited (which is okay) but later on they just aren't interesting.  In the fight where Ward is getting beaten on and not throwing punches until he wins with the big body shot he literally didn't throw a punch until that end part, I don't think at least.  It was way overdone to that extent, he had to have thrown more than those few punches in a whole [dang] fight, it would have been called off.  And the fight at the end was kind of lackluster too.

They seemed to be going for almost Raging Bull with how it was exagerrated and with a lot of punches being thrown, though it wasn't trying to be as brutal as that film was.  Really though it was just heavily edited and exaggerated and it was the weakest part of the movie, which is unfortunate since it is a boxing movie.

However it doesn't kill the movie or anything because while its a sports movie, it's really about the personal story.  Just with how that was all handled I would have liked some more realistic looking boxing.

Really great, I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Saw The Fighter last night and agree with everyone you said.  The boxing were lacking.  Too many crowd shots, and not enough boxing.  I guess it's really hard to do a boxing movie without everything coming across as cliche.  Thankfully the story was fascinating and there were plenty of quality characters and a
Yup

« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
The King's Speech was well done....incredible acting.....don't know if this was mentioned, but I was not about to edit 50+ pages

« Reply #839 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How to Train Your Dragon.

Excellent movie.  Nice story and pretty funny
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip