Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948612 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #795 on: January 02, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Megamind, fun movie

was a fun one

Despicable Me was probably my favorite animated movie of the year.

I got about 10 minutes into this one then realized it wasn't going to work for my wife!  Need to check it out again on my own at some point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433540/
Yup

« Reply #796 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cars and the new favorite Finding Nemo.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #797 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just saw True Grit.  While it was good, I have to say it was a very un-Coen brothers movie in a lot of ways, only a few characters and moments (the bear dentist, the Indian being hanged, and Rooster for a lot of parts) really reminded me I was watching a Coen brothers movie.  I heard a reviewer describe it as having "restraint" and I think that is a good way to put it.  In the end though it makes it a little predictable and I did expect more memorable moments.

Still liked it a lot though, just as a huge Coen brothers fan it didn't quite live up to expectations I had.  I expected something stranger or more unique and they made a pretty traditional Western for the most part. 

While it had a few humorous moments and some really dark ones, it strode the dark and comic line in a more ambigious way than maybe any of the Coen brothers movies.  Usually they fall more one way than the other but this had a tone that was hard to nail down.

And as far as the John Wayne connection, it doesn't really have much relevance since this is not a remake, the movie feels so much different and is based on the book.  John Wayne movies are kind of their own genre and this doesn't have much similarities.  As far as the whole cast goes, it's a much better acted movie and goes for a much different vibe, they are all actors here and there are no singers.  I never have been much of a Wayne fan but either way I don't think that should keep fans of Westerns away from this new True Grit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:28:12 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #798 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Just saw True Grit.  While it was good, I have to say it was a very un-Coen brothers movie in a lot of ways, only a few characters and moments (the bear dentist, the Indian being hanged, and Rooster for a lot of parts) really reminded me I was watching a Coen brothers movie.  I heard a reviewer describe it as having "restraint" and I think that is a good way to put it.  In the end though it makes it a little predictable and I did expect more memorable moments.

Still liked it a lot though, just as a huge Coen brothers fan it didn't quite live up to expectations I had.  I expected something stranger and they made a pretty traditional Western for the most part.

Agreed.

However if you strip away expectations of a Coen Bros. movie, then you get a hell of a film.

It reminded me of Miller's Crossing. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Just a really well written, well acted gangster movie.

« Reply #799 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Still liked it a lot though, just as a huge Coen brothers fan it didn't quite live up to expectations I had.  I expected something stranger and they made a pretty traditional Western for the most part.

Agreed.

However if you strip away expectations of a Coen Bros. movie, then you get a hell of a film.

It reminded me of Miller's Crossing. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Just a really well written, well acted gangster movie.

I will say Miller's Crossing did have some more unexpected moments that the Coen's usually deliver, which True Grit was pretty lacking in mostly.  You are right in that it wasn't too "Coen" but it had it's unusual moments.  Again, True Grit was "restrained".  Both definitely do feel like the Coens trying to be more within a genre than trying to craft something all their own, and they still do great work even that way which only speaks more to their abilities as film makers.

And yes the Coen connection does weigh on the movie for me.  I'm sure I will appreciate it more and more as I distance myself from my initial expectations.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:34:11 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #800 on: January 03, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The Town

Thought it was a good flick. A lot of that probably has to do with it taking place in Boston and the footage from different neighborhoods.

It's nothing special, kinda just what I was expecting in a good way though

« Reply #801 on: January 03, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Wall street 2.....

I liked the first one better....

« Reply #802 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
True Grit. I was skeptical being one of the biggest John Wayne fans out there, but this movie delivered. I liked it so well that I took my wife 2 days later. I rarely pay full price for a flick these days since we have a 1.50 theater close, but I did twice in one week.

Great job by Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld. Both Oscar winning performances in my opinion.

« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
On break from school and been really watching a ton of movies lately:

The Proposition - awesome Aussie western, beautifully shot, great acting (Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone). I'd give it a 8/10

I saw this one a couple of years ago, and loved it, too.  Written by Nick Cave!

« Reply #804 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline Green Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Mulholland Dr. last night. My mind hurt so bad. Unbelievable atmosphere in that movie, as one would expect from David Lynch. Definitely going to need repeated viewings seeing as this was my first, but i still loved it. So many hidden clues/signs/meanings.

« Reply #805 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Knight and Day thru Netflix.  Was really surprised to see the shot the garage scene on top of the parking garage across from where I work.  Saw my workplace in a few shots -- right down to the window where I sit. 

other than that, it was an ok movie.  could pretty much see all the 'surprises' in the script

« Reply #806 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Mulholland Dr. last night. My mind hurt so bad. Unbelievable atmosphere in that movie, as one would expect from David Lynch. Definitely going to need repeated viewings seeing as this was my first, but i still loved it. So many hidden clues/signs/meanings.
Great movie.

I rewatched Blue Velvet a few nights ago. Lynch is a bit nuts.

« Reply #807 on: January 03, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
On break from school and been really watching a ton of movies lately:

The Proposition - awesome Aussie western, beautifully shot, great acting (Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone). I'd give it a 8/10

I saw this one a couple of years ago, and loved it, too.  Written by Nick Cave!
The Bad Seeds Nick Cave? Interesting.

« Reply #808 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Just saw The King's Speech.

Fantastic movie, the acting is brilliant.

Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helen Bonham Carter are all flawless. Credit needs to be given to Colin Firth as it must be an incredibly difficult task to portray someone with a speech impediment and pull it off convincingly.

Also I have this exhibition playing at the art gallery near me which I will be visiting on many occasions;
http://qag.qld.gov.au/cinematheque/current/21st_century_cinema/a_new_tomorrow_visions_of_the_future_in_cinema   

« Reply #809 on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Saving Private Ryan.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.