Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 954291 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I loved John Wayne and have not been able to bring myself to see this one.  However, a friend who saw it said it was not really a remake of the Wayne movie, but a new version taken straight from the book.   Don't know...maybe I will see it on tv one of these days...I do like Jeff Bridges...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #781 on: January 01, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I loved John Wayne and have not been able to bring myself to see this one.  However, a friend who saw it said it was not really a remake of the Wayne movie, but a new version taken straight from the book.   Don't know...maybe I will see it on tv one of these days...I do like Jeff Bridges...

Same mixed emotions for me, TB ... I suppose if I take it on it's own, and not compare it to the original, it will be enjoyable. I've heard a lot of good about it, but that apprehension about not messing with classics is hard to get beyond for me. Maybe in a week or two, after I've gotten beyond the initial shock, lol.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:00:25 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #782 on: January 01, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I watched the documentary Restrepo on Netflix streaming. Powerful stuff. Actual live footage of combat in Afghanistan, including a casualty.

« Reply #783 on: January 01, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I just watched The Squid and the Whale. It's not a new movie, but I've meaning to watch it since forever, and I'm glad I did. It's a good movie, but it can be a little quirky at times. Jeff Daniels and Jesse Eisenberg really make this movie what it is.
I loved that movie. Both actors were incredible.

« Reply #784 on: January 01, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »

Offline Green Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
On break from school and been really watching a ton of movies lately:

127 Hours- Danny Boyle is my favorite director, so this was my #1 to see movie. James Franco delivers an amazing performance in this 1 man show as Aron Rolston. Typical Boyle traits - fast paced, awesome music, cool camera angles, and very funny. Loved it. 8.5/10

The Proposition - awesome Aussie western, beautifully shot, great acting (Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone). I'd give it a 8/10

The Town - lived up to everything I've heard. Didn't expect so much action though. Still loved it, Renner and Affleck were great I thought.  Give it a 8/10 as well.

Easy A - different than your usual teen-comedy. This one was actually pretty funny I thought, and well acted. Think it was actually relatable to adults as well. 7/10.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - this was cool, hilarious, different. Aimed at hipsters and video game nerds, but I still thought it was awesome. 7/10

Black Swan - truly a perfect movie. Totally gripping, enthralling, and beautiful. Lived up the hype and then some I'd say. I mean it's your classic ballet thriller, right? 10/10

True Grit - didn't enjoy it really. Slow, boring, and not much to it. Just thought it was very overrated. Can't believe it is getting Oscar buzz. 6/10.

Animal Kingdom - Australian crime-drama-thriller. Truly one of the best movies I have ever seen. Urge all of you to see this. Kind of slow paced, but an absolutely amazing and brutal story of a quiet 17 yr old kid, who after his mom dies, is then thrown into a house with the rest of his explosive estranged criminal family. Incredible tension and acting. As good as it gets in my opinion. 10/10

Next on the list: Winter's Bone, Chopper, Boy A, The American, The Square

« Reply #785 on: January 01, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I saw Restrepo, I loved it. I wrote more about it here (link).

Saw Joaquin Phoenix's "I'm still here"..it took me 45 mins to stop feeling awkward watching it, but its worth it. A strange movie that I'll never watch again, but didn't regret watching it.

Finally watched SLC Punk!, and I loved it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #786 on: January 02, 2011, 01:03:41 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I just had my wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday so I've spent a lot of time in bed watching movies and episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The movies...

Barry Lyndon (1975)
10 / 10
Director: Stanley Kubrick
- This film reminded me of a European version of Gone With the Wind in some ways. Just an awesome epic movie... about 3 hours long... but that didn't stop me from watching it twice in as many days. It follows the story of Barry Lyndon's life in regards to travels, war, love, money, etc. from the 1760s - 1780s or so. The music, acting, and overall tone of the movie are perfect.

The King of Comedy (1982)
8 / 10
Director: Martin Scorsese
- One of the many films from the team of Scorsese and DeNiro. This one features DeNiro as a man with a psychological disorder... kind of like Taxi Driver and Cape Fear. In this film DeNiro wants to be the new king of comedy and will not let anything stop him from obtaining this goal.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
8 / 10
Director: Michael Mann
- I was excited to see this one after hearing positive things from a number of friends. The film also features Daniel Day-Lewis who I consider the most talented actor in the business having not even seen most of his work. I though Day-Lewis portrayed his character well but nothing was truly outstanding. The performance certainly didn't compare to his performance in my favorite film, There Will be Blood. I would have given this film a 7 if not for the breathtaking final 10 minutes that might be in the top 5 final 10 minutes to a movie ever filmed. (Awesome scenery, action followed by a long pause and an intellectual quote over a beautiful score.) If only the rest of the movie had been shot so well...

Machete (2010)
7 / 10
Director: Robert Rodriguez
- I was hoping it would have been a lot better. Typical awesome style you would expect from Rodriguez or Tarantino... this film just seemed a little rushed. The acting was decent enough, the action was awesome. The characters were underdeveloped... and there were many, many characters. The plot seemed to be a tangled mess by the end because of the introduction of too many characters. I may be nitpicking. I don't think somebody would watch a Rodriguez film for plot depth and character development. For that reason, it serves well as an action movie... just not as well as Desperado or El Mariachi, it compared more closely to Once Upon a Time in Mexico or Planet Terror.

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
9 / 10
Director: Sergio Leone
- I don't really have a lot to say about this one. If you like westerns... see it. It wasn't as good as The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but it was still a very good Sergio Leone film. I think it actually could have used more action... a lot of tension built up for yet another finale that just doesn't compare to the finale of TGTBATU.

Robin Hood (2010)
6 / 10
Director: Ridley Scott
- This really wasn't the tale of Robin Hood... at least not to my knowledge. It seemed like it was setting up for a sequel. It was a good action movie. It was just kind of boring and lacking an interesting plot. I found it to be very similar to the recent Sherlock Holmes film which also was used to set up for a sequel, which is currently being developed. I was very disappointed about half way through Robin Hood because it seemed to be a war movie rather than the tale of the man who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor... and of course the final words that flashed on the screen at the end of the movie were something along the lines of... "And thus the story began..."

Strangers on a Train (1951)
8 / 10
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
- A very interesting film with an awesome plot as you can expect from Hitchcock. My favorite Hitchcock films remain Rear Window and North by Northwest. This one was certainly good but I came up with a couple of solutions that could have helped the protagonist avoid getting into the whole mess that he found himself... and whenever I can do that a great murder/mystery is no longer a great murder/mystery. I had to knock a couple of points off of an otherwise flawless film.

V for Vendetta (2006)
9 / 10
Director: James McTeigue
- I can't believe I hadn't seen this film yet. It is a good conspirator, anti-government, rebellion type action film. The dialogue is excellent as is the cinematography and the score. The dialogue is excellent in that it is filled with verbose deep meaningful quotes. The two terrorist explosion scenes (If you've seen the film, you know what I mean) are awesome, especially because of the fireworks and Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture playing over the speakers throughout London.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010)
7 / 10
Director: Oliver Stone
- Money Never Sleeps was a good follow up to the original 1987 Wall Street. The film could have been better and I expected it to be better coming from Oliver Stone, but it was a good film describing the terrible situation our economy faced in 2008. Like Machete (Immigration Reform) these current event films have a lot of heart and a good meaning but they definitely seem a bit rushed.

« Reply #787 on: January 02, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I agree with your ratings, MattG12...except, I think The Last of the Mohicans deserves 9/10. Awesome movie...and Daniel-Day Lewis is simply a very billiant actor.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #788 on: January 02, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I agree with your ratings, MattG12...except, I think The Last of the Mohicans deserves 9/10. Awesome movie...and Daniel-Day Lewis is simply a very billiant actor.

I'd agree. What a good movie with one of the best scores you'll ever hear.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #789 on: January 02, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
     I liked "The Town". It was REALLY far fetched though. There were a lot of holes and The Mad Men guy was kinda bad. One minute he had a boston accent and the very next line in the same scene he doesn't.Ha.Ben Affleck's supposed boston accent is so over the top as well. But ofcourse, he's not really from Boston anyways. I'd like to see Ben Affleck take another stab at comedy. I actually think he's a pretty funny guy. Not romantic comedy crappy comedy but something more ridiculous.

« Reply #790 on: January 02, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I saw Restrepo, I loved it. I wrote more about it here (link).

Saw Joaquin Phoenix's "I'm still here"..it took me 45 mins to stop feeling awkward watching it, but its worth it. A strange movie that I'll never watch again, but didn't regret watching it.

Finally watched SLC Punk!, and I loved it.
Have you seen "Exit Through the Gift Shop"? Brilliant 'documentary'. Not clear if it is part send up or completely legit. Phoenix probably watched that pic with great envy.

« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:33 PM »

Offline 9inmymind

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I just watched The Squid and the Whale. It's not a new movie, but I've meaning to watch it since forever, and I'm glad I did. It's a good movie, but it can be a little quirky at times. Jeff Daniels and Jesse Eisenberg really make this movie what it is.
I loved that movie. Both actors were incredible.

the actors definitely came to play.

« Reply #792 on: January 02, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Winter's Bone

dark and slow, but kinda good
Yup

« Reply #793 on: January 02, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
True Grit and The Fighter. Recommend them both, especially The Fighter.  Christian Bale, Amy Adams were both fantastic, as was the actress playing the mother.

« Reply #794 on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Megamind, fun movie